PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Magazine Issue 01!

Nicolas Jordan
08-06-2012, 06:50 AM
The first issue of Lightwave Magazine has been put up!

https://www.lightwave3d.com/static/downloads/siggraph_2012/lightwave_siggraph_2012-booth_magazine.pdf

erikals
08-06-2012, 06:59 AM
 
rocks! :]

 

nomad108
08-06-2012, 07:02 AM
Now that is cool! :rock:

Fall 2012 issue! Can't say I received it late, can I? :D

SteveH
08-06-2012, 07:12 AM
Very Nice!! :thumbsup:

MAUROCOR
08-06-2012, 07:22 AM
:):thumbsup::):thumbsup:

JamesCurtis
08-06-2012, 07:25 AM
Will be checking it out shortly!

funk
08-06-2012, 07:40 AM
I'm just skimming through and this caught my eye:

Pg 15: "registered LightWave 11 users can receive the LightWave 11.5 upgrade at no charge"

Sweet! :)

I also see new modeler tools mentioned on page 13, which arent mentioned on the web site yet (chamfer, Merge Triangles etc)

samartin
08-06-2012, 07:44 AM
Very nice, on all fronts, gone are the days of cheese by the looks of things. I wonder if Matt is a huge influence on the direction of the new outlays.

daforum
08-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Very cool! Thanks Nicolas :)

Imageshoppe
08-06-2012, 08:02 AM
Based on a quick read of the Genoma tutorial... isn't Genoma just standard modeler based skelegon creation with a bit more visual indication of where your pitch axis is, and automated selection of pre-built groups of skelegons to work with?

Despite many Lightwave heavy hitters favoring bone creation and adjustment in Layout I've always used this modeler method going back to LW6.0. Just seemed to make sense to me as the best way to rig, what with naming and assigning weights to bones in Modeler, etc. so I'm glad to see this method get "institutionalized" with this release and given a fancy name. Every step in that tutorial can be done right now with existing tools, minus the improvements in pitch feedback and what looks like null creation along with bones when in Layout from your imported modeled skelegons.

I would have simply called the LW11.5 improvements "Easier skelegon creation with improved pitch alignment and auto pole vector creation" along with "library of skelegon pre-sets included!"... but hey, call it Genoma if that generates buzz and makes you happy... :)

Glad to be wrong if there's other awesomeness under the hood that isn't on display in the tutorial.

Regards,

Jim Arthurs

Matt
08-06-2012, 08:08 AM
I also see new modeler tools mentioned on page 13, which arent mentioned on the web site yet (chamfer, Merge Triangles etc)

Actually, there are some more to add to the list, 3 of which I love!

erikals
08-06-2012, 08:09 AM
...and their names are... ;]

Matt
08-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Very nice, on all fronts, gone are the days of cheese by the looks of things. I wonder if Matt is a huge influence on the direction of the new outlays.

Website yes, magazine, T-shirts, ads were Johanna Roussel (our new graphic designer). We all collaborate, reviewing and critiquing things that go out. Rob gets very involved also, with his background being art direction.

Matt
08-06-2012, 08:12 AM
...and their names are... ;]

Actually, I know you specifically will love them!

Cageman
08-06-2012, 08:14 AM
Actually, I know you specifically will love them!

The names or the tools? :D

Matt
08-06-2012, 08:15 AM
The names or the tools? :D

Hehe! Well their names are descriptive of what they do. But they are so useful!

erikals
08-06-2012, 08:17 AM
i love names http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/047.gif

prometheus
08-06-2012, 08:18 AM
This is Great stuff, newtek and lightwave section has really shaped up in marketing and showcase.

Lotīs of goodies to read in there, I must have missed the merge triangles tool, gonna be interesting to see how that works on our cad files, it might ruin vertex normal maps thou I am afraid , wich is needed for or product renders and a nice smoothing of surfaces, might come in handy thou for simpler not so realistic visualizations where I need cleaner geometry to lower memory for showcase of fully equipped gym facilities, dont expect it to match Modos clean up utilities thou, specially designed for imported cad files.

I notice a small detail error thou, that newtek probably couldnīt be aware of, the article about turbulenceFD for Lightwave, says "particle advection"
to my knowledge that is only available in cinema4d, I have made jashca aware of this, but havenīt gotten any respons regarding changing this on his website description, he has mentioned that it will be on the list to fix thou for lightwave, so a little of false advertising there.

Michael

Kuzey
08-06-2012, 08:21 AM
Actually, there are some more to add to the list, 3 of which I love!

The 'Extend it' tool, does it work a bit like the "Move Plus' tool...you know..right click mouse & drag????????????

That would be killer :thumbsup:

Kuzey

erikals
08-06-2012, 08:27 AM
I notice a small detail error thou, that newtek probably couldnīt be aware of, the article about turbulenceFD for Lightwave, says "particle advection"
to my knowledge that is only available in cinema4d.... ...it will be on the list to fix thou for lightwave, so a little of false advertising there.

Michael

believe you me, in the print business, something always goes out the door with a few mistakes ;]
been there, seen that, done that :]

Kuzey
08-06-2012, 08:31 AM
Ok..ok..it sounds more like edge bevel & multishift tools in one, are we finally seeing the end of multiple tools doing similar things?

Where are the videos...I needs to see them in action..haha

Either way....it's just brilliant, well done team NewTek :thumbsup:

Kuzey

littlewaves
08-06-2012, 08:35 AM
Hehe! Well their names are descriptive of what they do. But they are so useful!

Ahh the long awaited "Make Art" button no doubt?

Along with "Export to major cinema chain" and "Finish Render Yesterday" perhaps?

silviotoledo
08-06-2012, 08:39 AM
No printable version of the magazine available?

Congratulations to Johanna Roussel, the LW T-shirts looks so cool!

Please add the video presentations to the website too for people will not be at Siggraph.

TalleyJC
08-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Neat... We made page 5!

-odd that my WIP hair guides made it though - I'm thinking because the blue scalp I had fit the color scheme...LOL

Nicolas Jordan
08-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Ahh the long awaited "Make Art" button no doubt?

I hope it has a "random seed" setting. :D

rcallicotte
08-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Very nice! Reading it now.

wyattharris
08-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Neat, made a skimming pass. Reminds me of the good ol' days. Turning to the back of a magazine to get to the tutorials.

wesleycorgi
08-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Geesh, LW group: pace yourself! :)

Obviously, you guys have been busy — all fantastic stuff. I hope you can spread out some of this goodness throughout all 12 months. The magazine is awesome — hopefully it can be frequent and replace some of the void that HDRI magazine left.

I think also a reboot of the newsletter would be great supplement (I like receiving Eyeon's email every month).

prometheus
08-06-2012, 10:22 AM
believe you me, in the print business, something always goes out the door with a few mistakes ;]
been there, seen that, done that :]

Indeed..same here, Itīs important to speak up against ways of error thou, in order for them to correct themself, the only dicipline whip from me is my sharp tongue against misbehaving advertising:)

I just hope people buying in to turbulence doesnīt take for granted having particle advection in there, and tries to fiddle around for some hours and finally mailing the developer to find out why it isnīt working.:hey:

I mentioned this a couple of times some time ago directly through mails, that he should correct that on the website for Ligthwave turbulenceFD so no on getīs fooled by it, Jascha is generally very good at responding with support otherwise.

Im hoping for an update soon with that fixed thou, would be awesome to work on particle fields with velocity properties from the fluids but render with hvīs, for some interesting looks that doesnīt look quite the same with fluid fire or smoke render.

Michael

zapper1998
08-06-2012, 10:58 AM
nice

Snosrap
08-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Matt, will the new tools work with a new LW architecture? One that can handle more polys? I'm grateful for all the hardwork and the progress put into 11 an 11.5, but I need more horse power under the hood. :thumbsup:

Philbert
08-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Yay Stasys article!

realgray
08-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Here's the trailer for the "Drone" image in the db&w ad. Would love to know more about the LW work in this project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snb9RZjT1SU&feature=plcp

hrgiger
08-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Hmm, so Genoma is destructive... well thats too bad.

Sill many other good things about 11.5 am looking forward to trying out.

50one
08-06-2012, 03:50 PM
I could swear that some similar van chase with crash was posted here in gallery few years ago, but i can't find it now...

GregMalick
08-06-2012, 04:03 PM
This magazine is the best I've seen NewTek do since...

... well forever.

Absolutely Top Notch. Top Shelf. and whatever Top thingamajig you want to say...

realgray
08-06-2012, 04:20 PM
it says you can buy the rigging revealed DVD in the store. Guess they haven't put it up yet.

Amurrell
08-06-2012, 04:28 PM
I'm guessing Cody's going to be highlighting these new tools at SIGGRAPH.

GregMalick
08-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Here's the trailer for the "Drone" image in the db&w ad. Would love to know more about the LW work in this project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snb9RZjT1SU&feature=plcp

ditto.

It would be great to see a "making of" short that highlighted LW.

erikals
08-06-2012, 05:20 PM
 
hm, yeah, wonder where LW was used...
couldn't see any LW use in the trailer at first eye-sight...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snb9RZjT1SU

 

Verlon
08-06-2012, 09:40 PM
It would be nice if we could buy hard copies of the magazine. I would settle for an archive on the LW page, though. Those tutorials are very nice.

If you guys would kindly drop one of these out every quarter, I think a lot of people would appreciate it.

kfinla
08-06-2012, 10:08 PM
Magazine, shirt(s), awesome!

Lewis
08-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Nice work thee guys and girls :).

geo_n
08-06-2012, 11:09 PM
Hmm, so Genoma is destructive... well thats too bad.

Sill many other good things about 11.5 am looking forward to trying out.

Agreed. My guess before was correct. Its like maestro skelegon based workflow.
I think its a nice tool though and will help a lot to reduce rigging time. But I'm still not in favor of skelegons or this kind of workflow which is modeller based.
The back and forth again for testing deformations and bone placements is not ideal.
Rhiggit does it well in lightwave which is what other 3d appz have since before. Make the rig editable while retaining data, etc. Genoma deletes animation when updating rigs, this is a no no.
Rigs, bone placement, weights are tested for deformation in extreme poses. Routines is scrubbing the timeline to check if you can hit a pose with good deform.
In Rhiggit you can do this routine and then if you don't like the deformation just press rhiggit, adjust bones, re rig and scrub timeline again to check. Fast workflow common in other packages.

Julez4001
08-06-2012, 11:31 PM
This magazine is the best I've seen NewTek do since...

... well forever.

Absolutely Top Notch. Top Shelf. and whatever Top thingamajig you want to say...

Since Newtekiques....and if you can remember that, then you are old like me. Well not that old but you get the point.

The magazine is very awesome. Its like the old days of reading comic books and saving your favorite for last. :-)

The tutorials are top notch.

I would pay for a print version of this.

Philbert
08-06-2012, 11:40 PM
I would also love a print version of this. Especially with the 11.5 announcement and Stasys article.

jeric_synergy
08-07-2012, 01:53 AM
I would pay for a print version of this.
I believe Kinko's is going to be the only chance of that.

Philbert
08-07-2012, 01:58 AM
Maybe I misread. I was under the impression that these were being printed to give out at Siggraph.

DogBoy
08-07-2012, 03:11 AM
Maybe I misread. I was under the impression that these were being printed to give out at Siggraph.

That was my impression too, as i was told to provide print res images for my tute.

Philbert
08-07-2012, 03:30 AM
Well it does say issue 1, or volume 1, or whatever on the cover.

jeric_synergy
08-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Well, unless you're attending Siggraph, I stand by my Kinkos comment. Usually one tries to get rid of every copy of PR material one takes to a trade show: that's the whole point.

It'd be swell to have, but I just find it unlikely. May I be wrong.

OH, and there's eBay. Or even here in the Classifieds section.

+++
One thing: I'm really starting to hate PDF files. I used to enjoy them, but the Adobe Reader seems to be designed every iteration to be more and more aggravating. Paper is looking better and better.

As good as the content is in the LW magazine, panning and scrolling around the PDF on a desktop computer is less than an entrancing experience. Perhaps its better on a dedicated reader or tablet?? (Which will be my only reason to get a tablet.)

rednova
08-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Dear Friends:

I really love this new magazine, but would love to see
a print version of it.
Love !!!

rednova

Dexter2999
08-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Yep... and it says Volume 1 - Number 2 : 2010 on the old 2010 mag... so I guess those numbers don't mean much.

2010 Mag was put out by Newtek, based in Texas. (As evidenced by the TriCaster on the cover)
2012 Mag is being put out by Lightwave 3D Group, based in California. Different thing altogether. ;)

Re-numbering is indicative of a fresh start. The new division, new web site, and promotional material are like Lightwave getting a "re-boot".

jeric_synergy
08-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Been looking at it some more: love the content, but I think it needs a PDF-reformating.

Higher-rez images need to be embedded, and a TEXT table of contents. Pretty minor stuff.

Philbert
08-07-2012, 01:18 PM
OH, and there's eBay. Or even here in the Classifieds section.

This is pretty much what I was thinking when I mentioned the print version at Siggraph. A number of Siggraph attendees may pick it up but not necessarily want it. Or you could always ask someone who you know is going to pick you up a copy.

jeric_synergy
08-07-2012, 04:43 PM
LOL, imo every currently active poster with over, ohhh, 1K posts should get a copy in the mail. >;^)

And: SWEET DEAL that 11.5 is cost-free. That is damn generous. THANK you, NewTek!

Philbert
08-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Well there was a time when we had a regular lightwave magazine. Even HDRI3D was mostly LightWave, so it's not like it's unheard of.

jeric_synergy
08-07-2012, 07:31 PM
(see attached)
I'm hoping once the team gets back home from SIGGRAPH and has a couple days to recover, they can recompile the PDF to give us markedly more detailed images.

Or have whatever trade-show mag company do it even sooner.

khan973
08-07-2012, 08:05 PM
If some of you guys want i can get a copy and send it to you. Of course i won't send too many but That's the kind of favor i would like to be given if I couldn't attend the show.
Shout me a private message if you want

Lightwolf
08-08-2012, 12:58 AM
 
hm, yeah, wonder where LW was used...
couldn't see any LW use in the trailer at first eye-sight...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snb9RZjT1SU

First eye-sight is a good hint... ;)
Seriously though, in the trailier, afaik only the drone eyes are CG and LW - there's a lot more LW work in the final show though.
I suppose that also explains how we came up with the tag-line. ;)

Cheers,
Mike

erikals
08-08-2012, 05:06 AM
 
ah, didn't even think of that possibility :]

looks awesome btw... ;]

 

Verlon
08-08-2012, 05:40 AM
Say, can I pick one of these up at Newtek HW in San Antonio? I could defnitely make the trip down there for lots of questionable reasons. I like those new T-shirts, too.

Would they let me in if I flashed my Hardcore Membership Card?

erikals
08-08-2012, 06:23 AM
Would they let me in if I flashed my Hardcore Membership Card?

maybe, just wrap it with gold ;]

The Dommo
08-08-2012, 09:14 AM
I enjoyed that PDF, thanks :)

allabulle
08-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Yeah...all fine points. Just don't expect a regular magazine... that's all I'm saying. Those trade show magazines are one shots most of the time, got dozens of them, and yeah, most of them are no.1s, even if a given company did another the following year - it's still a no.1.
It's this stupid hobby of this community to build up wild expectations, so it might help to counter some people's hopes for a "regular Lightwave group magazine?!!?! YAYAYAY!" with some real world facts before the yelling ("Where's the next issue!??! Newtek lost it again!!!")and posts searching ("I'm sure I read somewhere that Matt promised us one of the same quality on a weekly basis, but I could bet NT removed that post - damn you NT!") starts. I'm pretty sure a regular magazine will not happen. If it does... we'll know it, it will be announced that we'd be able to expect that, and can be happy then. For now we should be happy with this great issue, and be done with it. But I guess people prefer building up massive expectations... *sigh*

So you are saying that Matt already deleted his post with the promise? Damn! :D

erikals
08-09-2012, 08:59 AM
it's a nice magazine, if it's only 1 issue, i'm fine with that...

jeric_synergy
08-09-2012, 09:09 AM
.... once they get a higher-rez version out, that is.

khan973
08-09-2012, 09:28 AM
I hope the'll make more of them. Since HDRI 3D doesn't exist anymore, it's good to have it.
Erikalst, get in touch with them, I'm sure they'll be happy to have you make tuts or shocase specific plugins, your youtube channel has became a reference.
We need to continue building a strong and sharing comunity as there will b many new cats onboard. Thereare a lot of new heads in the forum and I have the feeling that this won't stop. Because now there is a real website and a way to really buy the software :D

erikals
08-09-2012, 10:06 AM
 
thank you Khan :]

the YouTube videos are more like rough previews, but i'm considering making something more professional.
just gotta learn everything in the whole wide world first, hehe ;]

thanks again, might be an idea...
i see they already implemented many of my favourite plugins in LW11.5 though... :]

Chamfer, HeatShrink, Place mesh, Thicken, Pick Align, Pick Rotate...

http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/lwicon.gif

 

AndrewMarch
08-10-2012, 12:53 PM
So, are these Tee's for real, where can I get one from in the UK?

erikals
08-10-2012, 08:54 PM
u have to order it from https://www.lightwave3d.com
they will put it up soon...

jeric_synergy
08-11-2012, 12:26 AM
I miss free swag.... well, 'free'.