PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen this folks?

Hail
08-05-2012, 08:23 AM
Is this for real or its just a joke?

http://3d-animation-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

erikals
08-05-2012, 09:55 AM
hehe, makes me smile :]

nice list, but hardly accurate ;]

for a list like that to work you'd have to dig deeper...
got so many comments to why LW is better in some places (and not) but it'd take way too long to write it.

actually, to this date no-one has been able to make a good comparison list.
it just ain't that easy... ;]

 

Philbert
08-05-2012, 07:02 PM
I'm not a Modo fan really but seriously? They give it a 7.5, the lowest score, for modeling, while Maya gets a 10?

erikals
08-05-2012, 07:21 PM
can't possibly be a serious review...

Philbert
08-05-2012, 07:27 PM
I wonder if they're somehow basing the score on available features.

Verlon
08-05-2012, 07:55 PM
They seem to be basing features off of some kind of checklist like star ratings at a hotel. "You have to have a pool to get 5 stars." It doesn't matter if that pool is a bucket of swamp water, an olympic sized heated pool, or a Roman bath house.

Lightwave doesn't have fur? Really? FiberFX? SAS lite? Do neither of those qualify?

Maya is easier to use than Modo, LW, or Softimage? How is that?

No Nurbs in LW or Modo, but how are SDS in other packages?

Modo has rigid dynamics since incorporating Recoil.

Realtime preview is a big deal, and not on that list.

All companies get a 9.9 for help and support? Really? Because certain companies are much more helpful than others, IMHO. Having a forum doesn't mean you get help on said forum.

I could go on, but I think that is enough holes to sink that boat.

rcallicotte
08-06-2012, 07:11 AM
A joke.

Of course, it might be interesting to see owns that domain. See - http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jerry-ropelato/5/354/4b7

oobievision
08-06-2012, 08:59 AM
well even in the article under it is poorly written. this is seems like some sort of autodesk advertisement.

prometheus
08-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Havenīt read through it all, just checking with reviews on lightwave, I do not see it as a joke, it is to what I know accurate about facts.

The point scores is another thing, and the writer might not have understood other values etc, but I do not see any laughable or wrongs in the reviews really, and the check comparison charts seems accurate as to what I know.

The review for lightwave seems quite okay, but some tools missing like nurbs is commented with what I feel to be the case too.

Maybe ..I would actually disagree with the particle engine where the review is quite good, and where I would say the speed and realism of it is not(complexity is lacking and furthermore enhanced realism but this is also subject to artists skill), and where he says that lightwave for modeling character is bad, I believe it can be quite good with ease of use of subpatches., he seems to confuse modeling with sculpting.

Maybe..a researcher not quite so good, but joke..nahh.

Michael

Hail
08-07-2012, 06:03 AM
Havenīt read through it all, just checking with reviews on lightwave, I do not see it as a joke, it is to what I know accurate about facts.

The point scores is another thing, and the writer might not have understood other values etc, but I do not see any laughable or wrongs in the reviews really, and the check comparison charts seems accurate as to what I know.

The review for lightwave seems quite okay, but some tools missing like nurbs is commented with what I feel to be the case too.

Maybe ..I would actually disagree with the particle engine where the review is quite good, and where I would say the speed and realism of it is not(complexity is lacking and furthermore enhanced realism but this is also subject to artists skill), and where he says that lightwave for modeling character is bad, I believe it can be quite good with ease of use of subpatches., he seems to confuse modeling with sculpting.

Maybe..a researcher not quite so good, but joke..nahh.

Michael

not a joke? seriously???
how is maya better than modo in modelling? and how is 3ds max simulation and dynamics engine better than houdini's procedural simulation and dynamics engine? OMG! how about xsi's ICE? and the lightening speed that comes with the ease of use in lightwave?
i could go on and on but these are enough loops to make it not be taken seriously.

prometheus
08-07-2012, 06:22 AM
not a joke? seriously???
how is maya better than modo in modelling? and how is 3ds max simulation and dynamics engine better than houdini's procedural simulation and dynamics engine? OMG! how about xsi's ICE? and the lightening speed that comes with the ease of use in lightwave?
i could go on and on but these are enough loops to make it not be taken seriously.

As I mentioned in my first post, I havenīt read it through properly, I read the specifications and the Lightwave reviews and with the exeptionīs I mentioned, nothing was wrong with that,

The other stuff, Havenīt bothered reading through it, and as I mentioned, the writer might be a poor researcher simple as that.

there are definitly differences on modeling approaches and how easy one can model in Maya or modo, some guys will prefer Maya, some Modo

Modo obviously has a better subdivision engine, but has worse spline tools than lightwave for example, and Modo has no nurbs as mentioned, for some that is a big deal and otherīs not.
Maya has a good toolset of nurbs.

do not know anything about max dynamic engines compared to Ice or houdini, but I suspect Houdini and Ice are way ahead, so maybe he just is lousy in research.

I do not think these reviews was ment to be any kind of joke at all, people getting upset because it isnīt correct and poorly researched and Thus perceiving it that way is another thing.

Michael