PDA

View Full Version : Concert Lighting Setup

Animapper
08-05-2012, 06:27 AM
Hi Folks,

I am wondering what the collective wisdom of the list might be concerning a large concert lighting setup in lightwave 10.1. I am doing a 10 second open that should look like lights are pulsing on and off from overhead.

I would like to be able to control groups of lights like colors, visibility on/off, etc. I am using the scene editor but it is so kludgy to do this. I have parented lights of one color under a master light but the other lights do not follow my changes to the master light. If I parent spotlights to a null I cant seem to have them on or off which is what I want to animate.

I am surprised at how difficult this seems to be after working in Lightwave for 15 years - you think I'd know this! Any help is greatly appreciated as the deadline looms!!

Thank in advance...

Baba
08-05-2012, 07:02 AM
It is easier to do this in the graph editor, use a simple expression to let the color, intensity, ... channels of the childlights (?) follow your master.

Animapper
08-05-2012, 07:24 AM
It is easier to do this in the graph editor, use a simple expression to let the color, intensity, ... channels of the childlights (?) follow your master.

I have tried that but it doesn't follow. I think I am doing something wrong. do you have an example of what you are talking about?

Thanks,

Baba
08-05-2012, 08:19 AM
most basic way:

UnCommonGrafx
08-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Here's a s ene that may help: it's a theatre set up with following lights.
If I re all, the setup has three lights together, rgb, su h that when they onverge on one spot, it is white.

My keyboard is giving me problems... that's a see that's missing above.:D

Edit: I remembered after I forgot...

daforum
08-05-2012, 09:28 AM
Cageman did a tutorial on this, about controlling a light-rig with one item...
...ah, here it is: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=121249&highlight=lights

Hope it helps :)