PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave GoZ Tips and Techniques

Julez4001
08-04-2012, 03:40 PM
I was thinking that we need a thread that discuss the whole Lightwave <> Zbrush via GoZ.

TIP 1
If Lightwave Layout does not connect to Zbrush the first time .
Click the button again (in layout) and then shutdown both LW (1st) and Zbrush (2nd) and start them both up again and files should start transferring.

Question - anyone having difficulties to get images to export during the process?

crossw
08-09-2012, 06:37 PM
So I figured I would tag my problem onto this post. My ZBrush (4R4) has the links to both Lightwave 11 Modeler and Layout. Both are installed according to ZBrush.

However, when I click GoZ in Layout, I get a message saying "GoZ Not Found, ZBrush Does not Appear to be Installed on this System."

I have checked both Lightwave and ZBrush forums and have yet to find any solution.

I have tried using both the 32 and 64 bit versions of Modeler and Layout. No Luck. To my knowledge, no one has reported GoZ being brock in 4R4, so I dont think that an excuse this time!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Julez4001
08-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Start Layout
Then Load Zbrush and In Zbrush
load a .obj file (that you made in lw but exported out) and then press GoZ.
If Zbrush's GoZ is seeing Layout or Modeler in its preferences (as you said)then it should open up.

Just make sure to start your interconnectivity from Zbrush first and not Lightwave.

gordonrobb
08-10-2012, 01:19 AM
I have only tried some interchange between ZBRUSH and modeler so far, but what I find is that sometimes, and I can't put my finger on what I'm doing, when I go back to ZB it freezes, with a mouse icon that is a small triangle, and beneath it a Circe with Z in it. Anyone getting this or know what I'm doing wrong?

Julez4001
08-10-2012, 06:19 AM
Just to try to get on the same page

I am using Lightwave 11 (no service pack), Zbrush 4r4.

The workflow has never locked on me.

Intel Quadcore, 8 BG RAM, Nvidia

OnlineRender
08-10-2012, 06:24 AM
I have an issue with it not sending all subtools /visible to layout 64 , it only ever wants to send the top layer

Julez4001
08-10-2012, 06:28 AM
Agreed. The GoZ "ALL" does not want to send everything.
Only time I got it to work was when the subtools had UVs, displacemap or normalmap attached and so far I haven't been able to duplicate it so I am under the assumption its a single layer transfer.

Does 3dCoat applinkage work with layers anyone?

crossw
08-10-2012, 06:47 AM
Start Layout
Then Load Zbrush and In Zbrush
load a .obj file (that you made in lw but exported out) and then press GoZ.
If Zbrush's GoZ is seeing Layout or Modeler in its preferences (as you said)then it should open up.

Just make sure to start your interconnectivity from Zbrush first and not Lightwave.

First, thank you for your response!

I tried the steps in order, but still no success. When I click the GoZ button in the tool pannel, its says "Unable to Open File." Then it points to a folder. Upon following the folder that it is looking for, I found that i dont have the folder. It appears to want something under C:/users/Public/Pixologic/GoZBrush/Scripts/GoZ_ExportFromZBrush

When I follow the chain, I get to "GoZBrush" then have nothing within the folder. I am wondering if my GoZ plugin was not updated with my 4r4 version of ZBrush? My version of GoZ appears to be for 4r2, according to the install log. I am going to see about getting an updated version of GoZ, then well see what happens. Pixologics website says there was an update released in January of this year.

Ill keep you posted.

Empedokles
08-10-2012, 03:29 PM
First, thank you for your response!

I tried the steps in order, but still no success. When I click the GoZ button in the tool pannel, its says "Unable to Open File." Then it points to a folder. Upon following the folder that it is looking for, I found that i dont have the folder. It appears to want something under C:/users/Public/Pixologic/GoZBrush/Scripts/GoZ_ExportFromZBrush

When I follow the chain, I get to "GoZBrush" then have nothing within the folder. I am wondering if my GoZ plugin was not updated with my 4r4 version of ZBrush? My version of GoZ appears to be for 4r2, according to the install log. I am going to see about getting an updated version of GoZ, then well see what happens. Pixologics website says there was an update released in January of this year.

Ill keep you posted.

Had the same problem. I think it occured because I installed R4 without prior deinstalling R3. So I had two versions of ZBrush installed at the same time. After a few days I decided to remove R3 and that broke GoZ on the remaining R4 installation.
Solution was reinstalling R4 - now everything works fine again...

Julez4001
08-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Yeah that sounds like the solution.

Before I installed 4r4, I uninstalled 4r2 completely and rebooted and then install 4r4.
So I have never seen the errorrs you were getting.

Empedokles
08-10-2012, 04:50 PM
Usually I do it your way as well, but Pixologic statet in their installation instructions, that there won´t be a problem if somebody wants to keep both installations, if I remember correctly. So, I wonder if they are aware that this can cause problems with GoZ.

crossw
08-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Had the same problem. I think it occured because I installed R4 without prior deinstalling R3. So I had two versions of ZBrush installed at the same time. After a few days I decided to remove R3 and that broke GoZ on the remaining R4 installation.
Solution was reinstalling R4 - now everything works fine again...

And that is the winner!!! :thumbsup:

So apparently, there was an issue with installing 4r4 over 4r3. I did it like that because Pixologic recommended it. So I deactivated everything and reinstalled 4r4 by itself.

Now, everything seems to work well. Both versions of LW, 32 and 64 bit. The problem appeared to be that 4r4 didnt install the updated version of GoZ. 4r4 updater appeared to be using the GoZ version from 4r2. Thus, LW wasnt a part of GoZ at that time. With a fresh install of 4r4, the newer version of GoZ was installed that has provisions for LW.

Thank all of you for your help!