PDA

View Full Version : Oculus Rift..True virtual Reality

prometheus
08-04-2012, 09:32 AM
I hope it will work as we want someday, and affordable.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game

Whe whole concept of 3d stereoscopics to give depth to movies is of course cool, and I can appriciate the depth given to movies such as avatar etc.

But it hasnīt really had that much impcact on me, I hope for things like this thou, where an environment is much closer to what happens when you move your head and eyes, and completly remove the real world with fantasy worlds or other environments created, arch viz, fantastic vistas etc.

Not that much of a fan for Games thou, for this to impress me, It would have to be dependent on what environment there is in there, and the realism and quality of it, that meaning Natural vistas that is close to the real thing, or what some of the best landscape renders produces in hours for singleframes.

So much possibilities in learning, visualization, interactivity once this get developed right.

I know there were some issues with this techniue some time ago, but canīt remember what it was, anyone care to enlighten me again?

Michael

Philbert
08-04-2012, 10:48 PM
I mostly wonder what the price will be. Many of us have different ideas of what "affordable" is. Unfortunately this, like Googles Project Glass, is one of those things ghat you can never really tell how well it works until you physically try it yourself.

erikals
08-05-2012, 06:26 AM
this looks interesting, closer to a true 3D movie than anything else.

prometheus
08-06-2012, 08:40 AM
Donate 275 $ and you get it sent home to assembly yourself.
Donate 300 $ and you get it fully assembled.

If I could evaluate and get feedback on how it looks, I can imagine myself getting one, however..I think I need some further insight on accompaning products/software ..a few games isnīt enough..and especially since I do not play any games, depends on type of game thou to get my interest, if
there were more scientific game tasks, explorations in space, simulations, flight sims etc, or prometheus space ship UI wherever I turn my head, then Im all in.

Michael

erikals
08-06-2012, 08:45 AM
the cool thing is the cooperation with Unity,
which means many will be using it to make presentations as well, and maybe even films (?)

prometheus
08-06-2012, 02:07 PM
the cool thing is the cooperation with Unity,
which means many will be using it to make presentations as well, and maybe even films (?)

I can imagine a whole new scope of interactive event "films" or scenarios.
I can imagine a real time flocking system from lightwave with furry furious spiders acting like agents and tracking you down throu rocks and valleys, wich means you have to run like hell on a run/walk platform and at the same time you will get your daily exercise done, Unless you would care for giving the spiders some hugs when they raise their arms against you..huh.

What lovely holo deck training and experiences we might have.
So many scenarios for training, military, resquing, archviz etc..etc.

I wonder if this could work for actors wich themself will be replaced like in avatar? when they have to act against another cg creature that wont be on the set, or if this could enhance their acting, might be a problem if theres a need to capture the actors face with recording trackers since the occulars would be in the way perhaps.

Michael