PDA

View Full Version : Robot arm parenting

DelendaMaximus
08-03-2012, 01:48 PM
All,

I'm modeling a mechanical robot arm and while I have the arm segments parented in the proper order (I think), I'm having problem with the base where it attaches to the spar.

How do I freeze the position of the base but allow it to swivel? I've deselected the XYZ positions, as well as the base P & B and left the H open, but if I move the head end of the arm, everything moves as a unit regardless of the settings...

Any advise on tutorials for this would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks,
DM

Matt
08-03-2012, 02:10 PM
This may or may not help! It's a robot arm scene I gave away a long time ago now.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=115716

Ztreem
08-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Constrain it in the motion panel (m). Only have inverse kinematics at H and keyframe at P & B.

RebelHill
08-03-2012, 02:30 PM
Im not quite sure Ive got your description of precisely whats happening,

anyways...

u'll likely find this works easier with bones, put ur whole robo in 1 layer, set 100% weights for each "part" add in bones, and assign appropriate weights to get the proper "rigid skin". Set it all up right with correct pivots, orientations, hierarchy, etc, then it'll rotate fine in FK, putting in the IKs another thing.

Anywhichhow, u'll find various bits n bobs of tuts related to rigging you can watch/dl in my sig, some of which will make sure u've got the handle on some basic stuff.