PDA

View Full Version : How to Save Image Maps for OBJ File

kirkeric
08-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Hello All,

I am new to using OBJ files but I've seen some online free 3D models that contain an OBJ file, along with LW modelor and scene files. Since the OBJ is just the untextured model, they include a series of images to lay back down on the OBJ.

My question is, if I build my own model and render out the OBJ, how do I render out the corresponding image maps for it as well?

Appreciate the help.

Eric

nickdigital
08-03-2012, 01:24 PM
I believe you need to make sure your image maps are applied to the model via the UV to export the obj and image maps all connected. FYI OBJ also only supports one uv map.

bobakabob
08-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Hello All,

I am new to using OBJ files but I've seen some online free 3D models that contain an OBJ file, along with LW modelor and scene files. Since the OBJ is just the untextured model, they include a series of images to lay back down on the OBJ.

My question is, if I build my own model and render out the OBJ, how do I render out the corresponding image maps for it as well?

Appreciate the help.

Eric

Read up on UV maps. Apply one to your model. They "tack" your image to the model. LW 11.5 will have some superior tools to do this but there are free plugins out there if you do a search.

kirkeric
08-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Thanks Bob.

So, is it not possible now without plugins or do you mean, that will just make it easier? Also, 11.5? Is that coming out any time soon? I saw a post where someone said it was a hoax (in this forum).

Thanks,
Eric

Read up on UV maps. Apply one to your model. They "tack" your image to the model. LW 11.5 will have some superior tools to do this but there are free plugins out there if you do a search.