PDA

View Full Version : FReq: per item "Auto Key", or static items

jeric_synergy
08-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Some items, I never want animated. But everytime I adjust 'em, there's ol' Autokey throwing in pointless keyframes, gumming up the LWS.

In many programs (AE, c4d) you have to actively specify that an item is animated. In such programs, you can tweek placement at any frame in the timeline, secure in the knowledge that the item won't be inadvertently animated due to Autokey. This makes sense in that in RL, most items aren't moving about.

That ability would be nice to have in LW. Either a defacto "STATIC" flag, or a per-item toggle for Autokey.

Make it an optional user preference: Items either default to STATIC, or default to ANIMATED, depending on the user's preference.

Danner
08-03-2012, 10:51 AM
That is an interesting idea, It's a workflow thing that would require something like that to be simple and accessible.

I usually just lock the objects (or channels) I don't want to modify.

On a related note I also remembered seeing:
ef StaticChannel It forces keyframes to be made at 0 when you move stuff. So you can adjust lights or objects to suit the framing of your camera in any frame, without worring about animating them.

http://people.dsv.su.se/~dadu9329/evenflow3d/index.php

jeric_synergy
08-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Ahhh, right, that's a good one. But remembering to use it, a whole 'nother deal. Also, has to be applied, of course. If it could be a one-click thing, that'd be great.

One UI way to deal with this capability would be to have it in the GE, on >channels<. that would give the user the OPTION to have just specific channels be static, so it's a new feature. Workflow would be no worse than the current 'setting all keyframes to Tension=1", which I do all the time. It'd be "Select all channels, click '[_]=Static' checkbox".

Just like I'd prefer all Layers to start out invisible (because I create more Layers than I animate), I'd prefer all channels to start out STATIC, like in After Effects.

Once again, that could be a user-definable preference. (I wish I didn't have to type that all the time, it should be obvious.)

Danner
08-03-2012, 12:04 PM
For those reading that don't get what we are talking about: If you used After FX, that is the way it works . Everying can be moved and it stays where you moved it, But no keyframes are made, it doesn't get animated, unless you do make a keyframe, then it becomes aware of time. And keyframes are active and animatable. To be honest that threw me off at first from AFX, I kept forgetting to make the keyframes, but I understand how it can be a good workflow in 3d.

jeric_synergy
08-03-2012, 12:25 PM
I think this workflow makes even more sense in 3d than 2d, in that a greater percentage of elements in 3d might be static.

But, the big thing is to A) provide the capability, B) allow the user to define which mode (default-static vs default-animated) they prefer.

SplineGod
08-03-2012, 03:55 PM
I can see the need for something like that. I also could see how it miight start to get confusing with a lot of objects in the scene and having to remember somehow which are animateable and which not esp when youre moving things around quickly in the moment.
You can turn off autokey and manually create keyframes which is easier to remember I think... Also when I want to move something to a different position without creating keys I use the move path tool. This also works with something thats already animated.

jeric_synergy
08-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Good tip. I don't think many think of the Move Path Tool that way.

jeric_synergy
08-03-2012, 04:46 PM
If we could get that "Make Static" plugin to be a one-button solution (which it may be), that'd be plenty.

Especially if you could do so on multiple items.

SplineGod
08-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Might be a good excuse to learn python :)

Serling
08-03-2012, 11:45 PM
I don't mind keyframes the way they are now but what I wish they would do is make the graph editor easier to use vis a vis After FX: bigger keyframes and a "snap to" option. I hate using it because of the interface.

xchrisx
08-04-2012, 01:45 AM
evenflcw has a script which should be able to do that although I havent tried it myself:

ef StaticChannel (Experimental) Channel Modifier Script; LW 9.6 and later..
Static Channel will maintain a single key at time=0 for the channel it's assigned to. If a new key is created at any other time, it's value is copied to the key at time=0 and the new key is deleted. This script is useful for when you want to be able to tweak a channel, with the timeslider at any frame, yet only ever key at time 0 and nowhere else.

jeric_synergy
08-04-2012, 09:26 AM

Yes: however, the native workflow to apply it to every channel is awful, as TMK you have to do it separately , ie you can't multiselect all channels and apply.

It IS opensource - or at least simply an *.ls-- , so theoretically someone could adapt it to a one-click solution. That would rock.

jeric_synergy
08-05-2012, 09:34 AM

Yes: however, the native workflow to apply it to every channel is awful, as TMK you have to do it separately , ie you can't multiselect all channels and apply.
Actually, what would make this convenient is if there were a Motion Modifier version, rather than a Channel Modifier, that did the same thing, but of course for all channels simultaneously. This would also ease the coding to make it a one-click solution.

Has Evenflcw been around lately??

EDIT: dang it, the linked lscript above doesn't seem to be working in LW11.0.2. Just tried it on a light, applied on the XYZ channels. Drat!

nickdigital
08-09-2012, 02:27 PM
In the meantime you could map this to a button. This'll key your current frame to 0 and then delete the current keyframe. Not exactly the feqreq you want but it works.

jeric_synergy
08-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Thanks Nick.

IIRC, once upon a time I used evenflcw's ls, but like I said, it's inconvenient.