PDA

View Full Version : DPKit MDD Pointer: time input ???

jeric_synergy
08-02-2012, 11:08 PM
An enveloped scalar input on the Time input to MDD Point should work just fine, right? And it's in frames, not seconds?

tnx!

littlewaves
08-03-2012, 08:33 AM
It's in seconds NOT frames.

so a scalar value of 1 = 1 second

Just did a quick test on demo of LW11 and seems to work as expected.

Are you having difficulties?

Celshader
08-03-2012, 09:08 AM
An enveloped scalar input on the Time input to MDD Point should work just fine, right? And it's in frames, not seconds?

tnx!

As an alternate in LW10+, try this Michael Wolf trick:

Use the native MDD Displacement node or MD Reader.
Set the Time Scale to 0%.
Envelope the Frame Offset.

With this method, a value of 1 means "frame 1" and a value of 100 means "frame 100." So you can envelope the playback using the native toolset.

jeric_synergy
08-03-2012, 09:12 AM
It's in seconds NOT frames.
so a scalar value of 1 = 1 second
Just did a quick test on demo of LW11 and seems to work as expected.
Are you having difficulties?
Ahhh, thanks for that clarification. :thumbsup:

Feature request! (of course!): a frames input.* :thumbsup:

I was having difficulties, but it was late. Using Bullet for the first time, I dropped some letters to shatter. Used ClothFX to scan their motion, playback thru ClothFX, with Bullet disabled, seemed to work great, but although I thought there would be a simple envelope in the ClothFX mdd playback panel, I couldn't find it.

So, I loaded up the (native) Displacement node editor, added DPKit MDD_Pointer, and ran that, ClothFX disabled. Everything still seemed to work, so I added a Scalar node and tried to run it backwards. Things fell apart there, and I had to hit the hay.

My misunderstanding of the TIME input is no doubt part of the problem, I'll try again today. Thanks! :)

RE: the feature request: as an animator/video guy/dog sitter, I just naturally think in FRAMES rather than seconds. It would be awesome if, over the course of his maintaining and upgrading his nodes, Denis added FRAME inputs alongside all the DPKit TIME inputs. I'm sure it would simplify/clarify some node networks and effects too.

Basically, anywhere a TIME input exists on any plugin, not just Denis' work, I'd like to see a FRAMES input.

jeric_synergy
08-03-2012, 09:46 AM
Thanks, Jen, didn't see your post last time! That's good to know: it's conceivable that I'd have to do this (ha!) effect somewhere without DPKit in their arsenal. (I wish.)

The whole "1=100" thing sets my teeth on edge. Oh well.

Littlewaves: correcting for my previous blunder, worked like a charm. Thanks! And thanks to Denis for making such awesome nodes!

++++
EDIT: wouldn't you know it: when back in, halved the gravity, scanned it, crash! :)

Celshader
08-03-2012, 09:55 AM
The whole "1=100" thing sets my teeth on edge. Oh well.

That's not what I wrote:

With this method, a value of 1 means "frame 1" and a value of 100 means "frame 100." So you can envelope the playback using the native toolset.

1 does not equal 100. 1 equals 1, and 100 equals 100.

jeric_synergy
08-03-2012, 10:07 AM
That's not what I wrote:

My apologies: I was just going back to delete what I wrote 'cuz I saw I got it perfectly backwards, but ya beat me there. 8~ :bowdown:

That's a very slick trick. Thank you!