PDA

View Full Version : Daktronics says we're using their product illegally with DataLink..?

Spacebacon
08-02-2012, 04:31 PM
We bought a CG AllSport to get score stats into LiveText 2.1 on an external PC, using NewTek DataLink to interpret the data. I wasn't around when it was installed, but it was set up for hockey and basketball and so far, has been great. My only gripe is that we can't get the 30-second shot clock stats when we're broadcasting lacrosse games in Hockey mode.

I called Daktronics and asked them if there was a way to get that shot clock data, and the tech told me the CG AllSport is "not authorized for Hockey." He then asked how we are getting the clock data to LiveText. I told him: we line out of the clock, into the CG AllSport, which is connected to a PC running DataLink and LiveText. He said the only way we should be doing that is by having a truck and a bunch of computers sending the clock data. He also questioned what Newtek is "up to" and wondered how Newtek has "managed to work around these restrictions".

He then told me that he is not allowed to help me, and that I'm lucky Daktronics isn't pursuing this further. What? Did I reach somebody who doesn't know what they're talking about?

We bought a lot of Daktronics hardware for our arena and feel we should be able to do whatever we want with it.

What I'm wondering is why DataLink comes with hockey and basketball presets if we're not allowed to be using it like this? Are there other options?

ZachSchuster
08-02-2012, 08:15 PM
As I understand it, the entire point of the output on the AllSport CG is to provide scoreboard data in an easy to interpret serial data feed. I've talked to one of the head engineers at Daktronics and he toldme the AllSport CG was the preferred method for linking Daktronics game feeds in the LiveText.

Spacebacon
08-03-2012, 06:48 AM
That's what I thought, too. I'm tempted to call them back but I don't want to stir the pot. I don't understand how a device called an "All Sport" is only allowed to be used for ONE sport.

ACross
08-03-2012, 08:49 AM
SpaceBacon (cool name!),

I have been in contact with Daktronics on this issue and they reassured me that the AllSports CG is specifically sold for the exact purpose that you want it for and that the person that you worked with was most likely misunderstanding the situation. Obviously they cannot specifically support the TriCaster integration component which is our software, which we would be more than happy to help you with.

I am unclear what issues remain, however feel free to cc ([email protected])me on any communication with them if you do not make any progress and I can help clear this all up.

Andrew Cross,
CTO, NewTek.

Spacebacon
08-03-2012, 09:00 AM
Thanks, Andrew! I'm not sure if the issue is with the Daktronics console or a setting in DataLink. One would think that if the shot clock is synced with the hockey clock, it would send that data to the All Sport? We can see the shot clock stats in Basketball mode, but not hockey. I'm wondering if it's a simple matter of which Com port we are using...?

I'll call Newtek CS and see what happens, and CC you if I have to go back to Daktronics.

VideoEng QA
08-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Please contact us HERE ([email protected]) and we can work with you on the issue with Hockey and the shot clock.

Thank you

PIZAZZ
08-03-2012, 10:27 AM
There are definitely some sports that only give you part of the total scoreboard output through the AllSportCG box. I doubt it is a com port issue. If the AllSportCG is working then you should see all the info that it can give you. One other thought is, there is a possibility that the datalink interface profile is not complete. For instance there is no tennis profile even though the AllSportCG supports it. Datalink/LiveText do not.

PIZAZZ
08-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Please contact us HERE ([email protected]) and we can work with you on the issue with Hockey and the shot clock.

Thank you

Thanks for coming by Jeremy

Space bacon. I am sure he will get you sorted.

nancyp1
08-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Hi Spacebacon -

I'm sorry if there's some confusion over what is available to you with the All Sport CG. The All Sport CG product is used to generate a Daktronics TV feed that can be used with third-party devices, such as the TriCaster. The All Sport CG does have a Hockey option that can be used, and it contains the following data fields:
- Home and Guest Team Score
- Home and Guest Time Outs Left
- Home and Guest Shots on Goal
- Home and Guest Penalty # and Time for 2 players each
- Period
- Game Clock

We don't currently include the 30-second data you're asking about in the feed. We can look at adding it for a future update, but I cannot guarentee if and when that might happen, unfortunately.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. I'd recommend that you contact our Help Desk if you do need anything else, and they can get you any information you need. If you know who you originally spoke to about the problem, I can also reach out to them and make sure they're aware of what is/isn't available with the TV feed.

Thank you!
Nancy Preteau
Daktronics Data and Interfaces

SBowie
08-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Thanks, kindly, Nancy, for all of that very helpful info!

shrox
08-06-2012, 01:15 PM
Hi Spacebacon -

I'm sorry if there's some confusion over what is available to you with the All Sport CG. The All Sport CG product is used to generate a Daktronics TV feed that can be used with third-party devices, such as the TriCaster. The All Sport CG does have a Hockey option that can be used, and it contains the following data fields:
- Home and Guest Team Score
- Home and Guest Time Outs Left
- Home and Guest Shots on Goal
- Home and Guest Penalty # and Time for 2 players each
- Period
- Game Clock

We don't currently include the 30-second data you're asking about in the feed. We can look at adding it for a future update, but I cannot guarentee if and when that might happen, unfortunately.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. I'd recommend that you contact our Help Desk if you do need anything else, and they can get you any information you need. If you know who you originally spoke to about the problem, I can also reach out to them and make sure they're aware of what is/isn't available with the TV feed.

Thank you!
Nancy Preteau
Daktronics Data and Interfaces

I don't even use their product but I am impressed by their responding here!

Spacebacon
08-07-2012, 06:43 AM
Wow, thanks, Nancy! It sounds like we are using the Allsport to its full potential. I'll send you the case number from work later. It really would be great to have the option to add the 30-second clock when necessary, but it's good to know we have it set up properly.

nancyp1
08-07-2012, 02:06 PM
No problem!

Also, I think the problem came in with miscommunication. I think the tech thought that you were plugging directly into the All Sport controller, without the CG in the middle. We strongly, strongly discourage customers from doing this because that'd be using it in a setting we haven't qualified it to be used in, and could introduce issues into the scoring/timing systems that we can't support.

As long as you're using the All Sport CG in the middle, you're good to go.

DStoneburner
08-07-2012, 03:58 PM
It would be nice if Newtek would put together a list of equipment and adapters needed to interface with the different type of score boards. I forgot about the All Sport CG and called support today because Incouldn't get my new Liverext system to talk to a Dak 5000. Tech support was very nice but went to the forum to find information. 20 minutes later she came back with nothing. I think it would help if there was some better supporting documents. If there are already, then I missed it but would live to know where they are. Looks like I buying an All Sport CG for soccer this season.

SBowie
08-07-2012, 06:47 PM
From the LiveText manual:

Note: Certain Daktronics controllers (including Allsport 3000 and 5000 models) require an AllSport CG unit to convert the propriety Daktronics feed to serial data for use in LiveText. Please contact your Daktronics representative for more information.

DStoneburner
08-08-2012, 07:37 AM
Thanks, I obviously missed that.

SBowie
08-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Not a problem, it's good to reiterate it here for the collective consciousness.