PDA

View Full Version : LW 11.5 - Surface Presets

COBRASoft
08-02-2012, 06:51 AM
Hi all,

I love the new website, the features of 11.5 and all, but what about the surface presets? Will they finally be updated too?

If I look at other 3D apps, I can find very nice presets, mostly well structured. LW really needs new presets, urgently!

Greetings,
Sigurd

djwaterman
08-02-2012, 07:05 AM
Most of the nice presets in other packages are created by 3rd parties and users who put them up. It's really up to us to I'd say, the tools are all there to make good surfaces.
I'd agree that some basic energy conserving presets would be nice to start us up though.

littlewaves
08-02-2012, 07:42 AM
maybe www.presetcentral.com could be brought into the fold?

DogBoy
08-02-2012, 09:09 AM
maybe www.presetcentral.com could be brought into the fold?

or at least put onto the 3rd party (https://www.lightwave3d.com/third_party/) page.

Kuzey
08-02-2012, 09:11 AM
or at least put onto the 3rd party (https://www.lightwave3d.com/third_party/) page.

Mmmm...How does one get on that page.

Kuzey

BeeVee
08-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Use the Contact button (https://www.lightwave3d.com/contact/).

B

Kuzey
08-02-2012, 09:23 AM
Use the Contact button (https://www.lightwave3d.com/contact/).

B

Haha...I'll have to try that button out..like very soon :thumbsup:

Back on topic...I was thinking about supplying presets for the next version of :lwicon:

Kuzey

prometheus
08-02-2012, 10:07 AM
I can surely provide Hypervoxels presets, clouds, explosions etc, skytracer (skytracer should be ogo taiki thou or better Itīs to oldy)
and surfaces, but that requires for newtek to do an update non related to user base content, rather a fix of how to use the preset shelfs, mainly the window itself and how it behaves, drag and drop surfaces without ..do you really want to replace material? (duhh.thats why I picked it, we do have undo donīt we?) such requesters are just workflow obstacles.
Drag and drop is more fluent too, than just double click and replace.

Then we have lotīs of things that could and should be packed in to preset shelfs, objects, scenes etc (kinda modo, truespace approach)

Another thing to enhance, the ability to give descriptions properly regarding best use of presets such as scaling etc.

Communications goes two ways and so does sharing.
Cheers.

Michael

COBRASoft
08-02-2012, 11:42 AM
I agree the LW users can share presets, but it has to be maintained by NT. PresetCentral was a great idea, but the materials are not always working or need specific lighting (which doens't work for other materials).

So, next to materials, we also need some basic scene setups. Studio, outside, inside, micro, macro, space, product, ... If we would have e.g. 3 of each type, it would help a lot for beginners and newcommers.

Mas
08-04-2012, 04:40 AM
So, next to materials, we also need some basic scene setups. Studio, outside, inside, micro, macro, space, product, ... If we would have e.g. 3 of each type, it would help a lot for beginners and newcommers.

I agree. This would really help newcomers. If someone downloads a LW11 demo, loads up a scene and gets a professional result within minutes they will be blown away and much more likely to purchase LW.

Also a lot of Video Editors and AE artists out there often don't have to re-create Avatar to pay the rent. They need to be able to drop a box of cereal or a can of drink onto a kitchen table and have it look photo realistic.

LW would do itself a massive favor by creating 3 of each of the preset scenes mentioned by COBRASoft.

This backed up with a video Tutorial on how to create and insert your own product would make LW11 the go to product for small boutiques/small budgets.

prometheus
08-04-2012, 06:13 AM
I agree. This would really help newcomers. If someone downloads a LW11 demo, loads up a scene and gets a professional result within minutes they will be blown away and much more likely to purchase LW.

Also a lot of Video Editors and AE artists out there often don't have to re-create Avatar to pay the rent. They need to be able to drop a box of cereal or a can of drink onto a kitchen table and have it look photo realistic.

LW would do itself a massive favor by creating 3 of each of the preset scenes mentioned by COBRASoft.

This backed up with a video Tutorial on how to create and insert your own product would make LW11 the go to product for small boutiques/small budgets.

It will take quite some time and effort to provide content scenes I guess, and it also comes down to what community shares, unless having a content director, Donīt know it Jarrod Davis is that now or not? and having them create specific content.

I personally think they should revisit almost all content, extract out the best etc ..even from old content, put them in proper categories and perhaps even release a Commmunityīs choice content where the best content can be voted on.
But that is quite a job I suppose, but nevertheless very usefull in the end.

Also, it can be hard sometime to find and get an overview over content, It might be best to put images in to index html, or one single pdf file, where you can get an overview of All scenes and content.

1.I think foremost that they should update surface materials thou, perhaps extracting from preset central if given permission, and that on a basis from a voting community too.

2. the preset shelf itself needs an overhaul, I do not like the fact that you can not simply drag and drop surface materials on to object surface in one go, we got to double klick, and hey..do you really want to replace it, why I pick it from the beginning duhh..we do have undo you know.(once they work on the undo system in Layout)

3. preset needs to be expanded with other functions, firstly models, scenes, particlefx, displacements.

The luxology team has began a decent approach of drag and drop content, with proper thumbnails etc, something like that, and it can even snap on to objects surface you put it on.

Michael

khan973
08-16-2012, 02:06 PM
A quick way to browse through presets on the website would be nice too.
And we also need the presets miniature to look good all the time because as it snapshots your light setup, sometimes it's great, sometimes not.

erikals
08-16-2012, 02:49 PM
 
Preset Central - 60 surface presets (some of my favorites)
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=127028

 

MarcusM
08-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Presets... yes it should be updated. LW website can have presets to download. Sended by users, this accepted by LW team will be free to download.

Also basic scenes with different lights setup for new users. (car, product, interior, exterior visualization)

I would like to have new things in Surface Editor and Surface Preset window. I often using Statistic window to select named polygons. Sometimes it take long time to search in list and when you make mistake, click bad, everything from beginning. Then in Surface editor in Surface Name list should be possibolity to select polygons with some name.

One more thing is catch and drop preset from Surface Preset or Surface Editor window directly on object in perspective view or VPR in Layout.

khan973
08-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Presets... yes it should be updated. LW website can have presets to download. Sended by users, this accepted by LW team will be free to download.

Also basic scenes with different lights setup for new users. (car, product, interior, exterior visualization)

I would like to have new things in Surface Editor and Surface Preset window. I often using Statistic window to select named polygons. Sometimes it take long time to search in list and when you make mistake, click bad, everything from beginning. Then in Surface editor in Surface Name list should be possibolity to select polygons with some name.

One more thing is catch and drop preset from Surface Preset or Surface Editor window directly on object in perspective view or VPR in Layout.

Good point, it would be awesome to be able to select polys just from the surface panel with a right click > select polys. Shouldn't be too hard.

khan973
08-16-2012, 03:33 PM
An other Thread about Presets in general (rendering, animation, dynamics, rigs...)
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=130042

MarcusM
08-16-2012, 03:37 PM
Good point, it would be awesome to be able to select polys just from the surface panel with a right click > select polys. Shouldn't be too hard.

I think even about just + and - on right side from surface name. Less clicks = faster work.

We do not want any money for ours ideas. NewTek should not be scared use them! :)

We can feel like a 3rd party development team. After Siggraph we know that they reading our posts.

Ok using the occasion i write that i need pop up UV window in Modeler! Times when we used one display gone :]

erikals
08-16-2012, 03:52 PM
 
just some previews of favorites from presetcentral.com >
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j02cNjk2B8