PDA

View Full Version : LW'S NEW WEBSITE - WOW so PROUD!!!

khan973
08-01-2012, 10:39 PM
:I_Love_Ne

Guys, I don't mind sounding like a fanboy, I might be one right now, but I'm sooooo proud of the steps LightWave has made!
The new webside is really PRO! https://www.lightwave3d.com/ (https://www.lightwave3d.com/)
We finally have 3rd parties , real gallery (hope it will remain to date). The presentation is clear, nice, nothing to be ashamed of!

One thing missing to me are Studios and Schools in the Community Tab.
It could be nice to have permanent links to studios who use Lightwave and Schools that teach it for people who want to get in touch, work or learn from Lightwave community find them easily.

And 11.5 announcement is fantastic! https://www.lightwave3d.com/new_features/
Finally a Rigging tool!!!! wow!
I wonder ir Bullets hard dynamics react well with soft / cloth?

I hope deformations will be changed from its core to allow more stuff (Lattice, deformation layers, deformations with multiple displacement or Normal maps...)
Still looking forward to get a way to model in a Camera view but one step at a time I guess.

I love the fact that NT is now paying more attention to things we need and adding some more hype to it!

It's a good time to be a waver right now, LightWave rises from the dark side of the Moon!!! hahaha

wesleycorgi
08-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Yes good stuff! Finally, a login/customer page that works like it's supposed to. And shiny new 11.0.3 to play with (not that I didn't download 11.0.3 when the beta was up :D ) in my Registered Products — front and center!

Kjasi
08-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Ohh, this is a great site update!

And I'm looking forwards to 11.5!

Matt
08-01-2012, 10:51 PM
Thanks for the compliments! We worked hard on it! :)

GandB
08-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Now that there's an official thread on it; I'll copy/paste this from another area:

Very nice work on the site! Tutorial and Gallery pages look very well done and easy to follow. Featured Artist is a nice touch as well.

My only suggestion (from first look), would be to define the borders between each image in the gaggle/section below the main LW image rotator. Perhaps an actual color? Each image runs into the other, and makes it look a bit jumbled. Otherwise, excellent work!

Nicolas Jordan
08-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Any word on when LW11.5 will be available for LW11 owners to download?

realgray
08-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Is that a new T-shirt in the middle on the Siggraph section? I want one. :D

wesleycorgi
08-01-2012, 11:05 PM

I was thinking the same thing. I got my Siggraph reminder email today, but I will be out of town all next week (bummer).

My Core t-shirt is getting long in the tooth.

realgray
08-01-2012, 11:07 PM
yeah, I won't be there either. I hope someday they create a store for hats/tshirts like m... does.

regular
08-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Indeed, a very attractive Website with functionality.

Two thumbs up

adk
08-01-2012, 11:37 PM
My favorite part is the personalised account page ... it even knows what I look like :D:D:D Kudos LW team !

Matt
08-01-2012, 11:38 PM

It is indeed! They look awesome, designed by Johanna, our new designer! She rocks!

CaptainMarlowe
08-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Yeah, that's really an awesome job. Even connecting to the account is pretty straightforward, with a nice "my products" page.
Hail Lightwave3D group.

Silkrooster
08-01-2012, 11:56 PM
Very very nice. I like it. Now I can edit all my Newtek links. Yeah... BTW, I am glad to see Tobian's Pluto Space Station in the gallery, it is well worth having there.

Silkrooster
08-02-2012, 12:04 AM
And 11.5 announcement is fantastic! https://www.lightwave3d.com/new_features/
Finally a Rigging tool!!!! wow!
I wonder ir Bullets hard dynamics react well with soft / cloth?

I hope deformations will be changed from its core to allow more stuff (Lattice, deformation layers, deformations with multiple displacement or Normal maps...)
Still looking forward to get a way to model in a Camera view but one step at a time I guess.

I love the fact that NT is now paying more attention to things we need and adding some more hype to it!

It's a good time to be a waver right now, LightWave rises from the dark side of the Moon!!! hahaha

Man, I love the changes they are making for 11.5, Finally a little love for modeler. Now if they can get all this done and not pull any of the projects before shipping, I will be one happy camper.

Lewis
08-02-2012, 12:14 AM
Excellent work guys, looks professional and it works properly :). And yes congrats to Rob for new full position.

eagleeyed
08-02-2012, 12:25 AM
Well this was unexpected.
What an amazing update to the website, and even better news with the 11.5 Teaser.
Congrats for the amazing work, LightWave really seems to be heading in a great direction now.

Really looking forward to 11.5 now. Softbody Bullet was enough and was already excited, but to then scroll down and see After Effects Intergration and Fibre Mesh support. Congrats guys, expectations blown right out the window.

Keep it up! :D

jeric_synergy
08-02-2012, 12:42 AM
Ah, that looks very nice. Well done.

Is the account anything do do with the old NewTek account??? Or is it wholly new?
++
EDIT: Answer: same as registration site.

VERY slick! Nicely done indeed!

I almost expected my Aura registration to show up! :)

Mitja
08-02-2012, 12:44 AM
Congrats! Very neat website! Keep it up!

Serling
08-02-2012, 12:54 AM
The registration page is simple, straightforward, and easy to use. Very nice. I know what Santa's getting me for Christmas this year. :)

ksnoad
08-02-2012, 01:48 AM

Man! I've only just grown into my Core TShirt ;)

Kev xx

stevenpalomino
08-02-2012, 01:56 AM
awesome job guys! Very top notch! Glad to be a lightwaver right now :) I hope the newsletters/gallery are kept up to date. Great job!

funk
08-02-2012, 02:32 AM
Great job guys! I love the new site. The lightwave content seems to be missing from the account pages though. There is also no no demo content for the trial.

I guess things aren't quite 100% ready yet

P.S. Id like to see older service packs/updates listed too. Just in case we need to go back a version for some reason

scratch33
08-02-2012, 02:41 AM
Hi,

Very good website. Congrats .

I have noticed a little problem : on Android tablet : if I push the "community"button, the link points to the gallery. Haven't tried on a pc.

3DGFXStudios
08-02-2012, 03:24 AM
AWESOMENESS!!!!!! :boogiedow:heart:

bazsa73
08-02-2012, 03:37 AM
This new site is megacool, you guys really did it. I LOVE IT!

bazsa73
08-02-2012, 03:42 AM
I'm amazed by the new LW11.5 features too... I mean WOW! WOWOWOWOWOWWWW!

souzou
08-02-2012, 03:56 AM
New site is awesome, fantastic work guys. :thumbsup:

Qexit
08-02-2012, 05:07 AM
Great new site but I do have one request. Please lose the spider in the GoZ™ Fiber Mesh Support section. Seriously, there are a lot of arachnophobes out there, myself included, for whom the sight of a dirty great, hairy spider at the bottom of a web page introducing new features for their favourite 3D software is far from welcome :eek:

..and no, I'm not kidding. Find another image so I can really like this new page !

Andy Webb
08-02-2012, 05:27 AM
Great new site but I do have one request. Please lose the spider in the GoZ™ Fiber Mesh Support section. Seriously, there are a lot of arachnophobes out there, myself included, for whom the sight of a dirty great, hairy spider at the bottom of a web page introducing new features for their favourite 3D software is far from welcome :eek:

..and no, I'm not kidding. Find another image so I can really like this new page !

How about an aggressive looking snake... :D

Not a big fan of spiders myself but I can't say it worries me that much :)

evenflcw
08-02-2012, 05:30 AM
Looks very good. Great gallery! Good 3rd party page with decent level of promotion. As straight as it gets trial download page. Profile page is nice and simple. Although as mentioned, maybe add a link to list all releases available (no need to destroy the simplicity of the current page).

PS. The chocolate praline box image (https://www.lightwave3d.com/static/lw/gfx/banners/gallery-chocolates_952px.jpg) used for the top of the gallery page (https://www.lightwave3d.com/community/gallery/) does not have the artists name on it.

DogBoy
08-02-2012, 05:33 AM

Well it goes with the spider in the Genoma section.

Just think of it as Newtek trying to help you overcome your fears.

bananahead
08-02-2012, 05:59 AM
Sexy!!!

K-Dawg
08-02-2012, 06:03 AM
Looking good. Better than Newtek.com wannabe apple style that was used a few months back. This is back to do LW honor where honor is due.

I have a few suggestions for the HTML code. Can't say about the server side code cause that is not shown.

Add some more Meta Tags. They might not have much of an influence for Search Engine anymore, but they still are valuable, especially when showing search results in search engines.
Standard tags like description, keywords etc.

To better optimize performance, put the inline Javascript in seperate .js files and load them with a link tag. Unless there is data being added by PHP then leave, otherwise outsource it. Helps server performance.

Get rid of redundant div tags.
<div class="clear"></div> can be changed to <br style="clear:both;" />
Still one line, but is the proper way to clear any floats. I'd have to look at the HTML and CSS some more to see if it can even be gone and clear added in a existing div.

and lastly, dont use too many empty lines. even though the line is empty, it still adds to file size and with mobile Internet file size is still important.

Greetz

lardbros
08-02-2012, 06:06 AM
I've said this LOADS, and can't say it enough!

This is honestly exactly what I've had in mind for a LW portal, and it's stunning. Not a SINGLE crappy render, not a thing out of place or wonky. No crappy text... ALL wonderful, and really rather beautiful! Nothing grates on my eyes, and all the links are clearly presented and logical! LOVE IT, and the more I go through it, the more I love it! :)

It's exactly this sort of public presentation Newtek needed to make people have more faith, and belief that LW is going somewhere. Now... watch the new customers roll in! :) Already seen people asking how good Hypervoxels are on competitors forums... see! No-one knows it exists until you tell people :)

Yay... yay... and double yay! :D

rcallicotte
08-02-2012, 06:14 AM
Awesome site. This is all so amazing.

Andrewstopheles
08-02-2012, 06:17 AM
noice!

Andrewstopheles
08-02-2012, 06:19 AM
what do you guys think about this?
https://www.lightwave3d.com/third_party/

littlewaves
08-02-2012, 06:30 AM
what do you guys think about this?
https://www.lightwave3d.com/third_party/

Great that they're recognising these in one easy place.

Utterly astounded at the absence of Rhiggit from this page though.

also www.auroragrafx.com is down for maintenance

gerry_g
08-02-2012, 06:48 AM
wow 'bout time 2 but going from home page to forums still opens a second tab in Safari, never happens on any other site

COBRASoft
08-02-2012, 06:48 AM
Great job Rob, Matt and the others! Finally some love for my 3D app.

You've all done a wonderful thing, just keep it up to date now.

MAUROCOR
08-02-2012, 07:03 AM
It's exactly this sort of public presentation Newtek needed to make people have more faith, and belief that LW is going somewhere.

That is exactly the way I think!
And the new Lightwave 3D group as an independent division leaded by Rob just make me more confident! Finally we can see a bright light in the end of the tunnel to LW.

Congrats Matt and all involved for the new site. It looks great and I am proud of you!
Well done!:thumbsup:

wesleycorgi
08-02-2012, 07:07 AM

I would also add Liberty 3D (Ubercam, QuadPanels) to the list, but hey, they're just getting started.

prometheus
08-02-2012, 07:47 AM
Sorry to be one of the first with some negative comments here.

Uhhmm..If this is it for Lw11, Then I will probably be one of the few that will not be that excited.

The new website is good thou.

However I see too few improvements in modeler, at least to what Ive expected, this is how it looks to me so I cant say for sure until tested really.
Just that I had excpected either more modeling in layout, or a history stack and simple scultping tools.

There are some modeling workflows that I personally would like to se enhanced such as simple sculpt (like core), enhanced bend (like core)

Interactive subdivision tool etc.

improved fiberfx sounds good, and after effects etc and vpr depth of field, (misses glow and blom now and correct lens flares behind objects I think)

The bullet enhancements looks great thou, genoma is new and I have no idea about that.
thickener native is long overdue.
the heat shrink, might be good, I think I would like a type of Modo constrain deformer thou, that can be pressed against any geometry.

Place mesh, interesting, But I think a insert mesh tool would be awesome.

The edge tools and slicing, well I think it doesn´t compare to modo edge handling

Generally thou, I am not that excited really, mainly because I do not see any huge enhancement in modeling, complete lack of enhancement of hypervoxels, no rework of sky and atmospheric systems, no enhancement of particle systems, no lsystems.
No UI enhancement with docking panels, no new type of subdivision surfaces or handling of that.

These might be under subject to be improved as development goes on I guess and as soon they have established a foundation of other things, but man it is taking so long to get there.

They continue to work on features like fiberfx,stereo, flocking,bullet etc..
but there are so many old stuff that needs attention like hypervoxels,particles,UI, layout modeling, history etc, and things from core platform still not seeing the day of light after this time.

Yez... How dissapointed it sounds, Im sure a lot of it will be great and it is advancing, but this release from what I see on the page just doesn´t rock my boat that much as for now.

Edit..this expression from me might be subject for a change once I get the hands of 11.5 so do not be to upset about me ranting negativly at this moment.

Michael

prometheus
08-02-2012, 07:58 AM
ABout the web page, general look is good, however, individual showcase of feature has their images, put a link to videos for those individual features, I think people might want to acess that directly when they want
to do so, instead of the whole feature video, but the whole video should of course remain where it is.

Michael

Waves of light
08-02-2012, 08:11 AM
The site new is superb. Well done Matt, Johanna and others. Onward and upward.

Cageman
08-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Edit..this expression from me might be subject for a change once I get the hands of 11.5 so do not be to upset about me ranting negativly at this moment.

Michael

From what I understand, LW11.5 will be a free upgrade to all LW11 owners, but I could have understood things wrong.

It has also been communicated from NewTek that all point-releases will concentrate on bugfixes (well..fixing bugs) and maintanence (such as Bullet getting soft/cloth) and "minor" features.

I guess you've just had a bit too much expectations for a .5 upgrade.

prometheus
08-02-2012, 08:15 AM
From what I understand, LW11.5 will be a free upgrade to all LW11 owners, but I could have understood things wrong.

It has also been communicated from NewTek that all point-releases will concentrate on bugfixes (well..fixing bugs) and maintanence (such as Bullet getting soft/cloth) and "minor" features.

I guess you've just had a bit too much expectations for a .5 upgrade.

A fair note and Yes..You are probably right about that, I have a very low tolerance when waiting for things unfortunatly, and that goes for all things in everyday life too:)
One of my big faults as a human I guess.

we will see how it turns out in due time.

Michael

Ryan Roye
08-02-2012, 09:01 AM
I approve.

Absolutely hated the old design myself.

devin
08-02-2012, 09:25 AM
It's exactly these types of recently revealed changes to the website, the account and licensing system, and Lightwave itself that will restore my faith in things and solidify my continued support. You're not completely off a certain list just yet but you've certainly fallen to the bottom. ;)

Kudos to the team. Good luck with the move and have a great Siggraph!

evolross
08-02-2012, 10:29 AM
LOVE the new website. Nice work Matt.

One thing I noticed is the "Film" category under the gallery is pretty devoid aside from the one Avatar image.

I have a ton of stills from the various major studio feature films I've worked on using Lightwave over the last few years. I can get those to you but I have no idea what the legality of posting them would be. They're all frames from blu-rays as the studio I worked for wouldn't allow me to take ANY assets from the studio itself. But I can vouge that they content is indeed Lightwave created/rendered, and some of the shots are really nice (see my reel).

I also will have some new stuff not yet on the real, from several movies that came out this Summer. :) Just email me if you want to pursue this.

vncnt
08-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Well this was unexpected.
... After Effects Intergration ...

Why AE? Anyone for Fusion?

Fusion project files are easy to generate ...

Cageman
08-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Why AE? Anyone for Fusion?

Fusion project files are easy to generate ...

I would like to see Nuke-support! :)

I guess we´ll have to wait and see what will come in the future though.

Toonwonder
08-02-2012, 10:51 AM
I love the website! It was frightening there for awhile! Thanks to all who were involved!!!! The new Lightwave 3D Group is doing a great job!

Serling
08-02-2012, 11:00 AM

+1...Major arachnophobe here. Can't even stand the sight of them in pictures.

CaptainMarlowe
08-02-2012, 11:34 AM
I would like to see Nuke-support! :)

I guess we´ll have to wait and see what will come in the future though.

While we're at it, as a mac user, I would not say no to a Motion support, like C4D does.

Ryan Roye
08-02-2012, 11:38 AM
+1...Major arachnophobe here. Can't even stand the sight of them in pictures.

Spiders are fun and lovable creatures... they even raise their arms up when someone is nearby so that they can hug them :(

COBRASoft
08-02-2012, 11:44 AM
While we're at it, as a mac user, I would not say no to a Motion support, like C4D does.

Motion is great, Windows needs something similar. AE is great, but it is not easy to do quick stuff like with Motion.

prometheus
08-02-2012, 11:53 AM
Spiders are fun and lovable creatures... they even raise their arms up when someone is nearby so that they can hug them :(

They shouldn´t be so naive and lovely to people, chances are most likely that they will get an old fashion good stumping.:D

This can happen when lower intelligence meets a higher intelligence, wich one is wich might be the question here.

Michael

realgray
08-02-2012, 12:48 PM

One thing I noticed is the "Film" category under the gallery is pretty devoid aside from the one Avatar image.

I have a ton of stills from the various major studio feature films I've worked on using Lightwave over the last few years. I can get those to you but I have no idea what the legality of posting them would be. They're all frames from blu-rays as the studio I worked for wouldn't allow me to take ANY assets from the studio itself. But I can vouge that they content is indeed Lightwave created/rendered, and some of the shots are really nice (see my reel).

I also will have some new stuff not yet on the real, from several movies that came out this Summer. :) Just email me if you want to pursue this.

I really hope the Lightwave crew is seeing this. Would be great for the film section of the site.

dblincoe
08-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Wow!
10.0 for the new website is a much needed change and feels SO RIGHT!
10.0 for LW11.5 looking like its gonna be amazing...what about a pre-release version (just say'n).
10.0 for the new dongle-less system is interesting too. Whenever I am on my laptop I'm afraid I'm gonna shear it off.
10.0 for the announcement of Rob Powers as president of the Newtek group.
and 10.0 for all of the 11.01 - 11.03 service pack releases that have kept us feeling like progress is being made!

You guys are seriously doing an awesome job!

Celshader
08-02-2012, 01:15 PM

I just noticed the "Submit to Gallery" button on the website. Clicking on the graphic underneath it leads to this link:

https://www.lightwave3d.com/community/submit_gallery/

We finally have a formal process for submitting images to the gallery!!!

lardbros
08-02-2012, 01:27 PM
I just noticed the "Submit to Gallery" button on the website. Clicking on the graphic underneath it leads to this link:

https://www.lightwave3d.com/community/submit_gallery/

We finally have a formal process for submitting images to the gallery!!!

Yeah, I noticed that today... Good stuff! Hopefully they will be able to keep the gallery stocked with high-quality images like the ones they have there now.

Anything to make it easier for you clever folk working in TV and Film to submit your work... I know most working LW users are simply too busy to be submitting their awesome work for galleries or 3D World :)

HenrikSkoglund
08-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Oh it feels really great to not have to use the dongle anymore in 11.0.3.

Newtek really seems to listen to us customers now. I can understand people who get impatient about changes in the modeller area even though that isn't of the highest priority to others. But seeing what features are added and their easy-of-use focus gives me confidence in that they probably work on some nice changes in this area too, though the impression has been that it probably is a lot harder than it looks. So a guess would be that the first changes we'll see on this is probably in a big release such as lw12. Especially if they are indeed moving everything over to Layout, then why use resources to build upon what is soon to be discarded anyway?

K-Dawg
08-02-2012, 02:47 PM
After piddling around with the new site, to me it seems that Zend Framework has been used as server side solution. Can that be the case?

Also, I dunno what the issue is, but I saw that my Lightwave downloads have been moved from register.newtek.com to lightwave3d.com/account. Nice move. I also like the Upgrade Eligible button. When I click on that I get sent to the Newtek shop. Nice, but question. Why does LW 11 Upgrade cost almost 710 Euros where with a Europen retailer it would cost almost 590 Euros? Is there a problem with the exchange from U.S. Dollars to Euros?

Greetz

lardbros
08-02-2012, 03:00 PM
It does include the VAT... whereas most EU stores won't include that initially until you purchase. Is that the difference?

K-Dawg
08-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Nope. 590 Euro including VAT.

Bliz
08-02-2012, 05:14 PM
The new website is a megaton better than the old one! Top banana!

It's making me want to save up for LW11 :)

snsmoore
08-02-2012, 05:29 PM
Great Site!

Nice feature set for 11.5!

And I want to buy one of those t-shirts too! (and let's get some Lightwave baseball caps - I'd like about 3 of them!)

:thumbsup:

aidenvfx
08-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Motion is great, Windows needs something similar. AE is great, but it is not easy to do quick stuff like with Motion.

Not to mention the $50 prize tag makes it a no brainer.

Also full marks to the entire LW team the amount of improvements made is fantastic. I also like the fact that Newtek has given more resources to the lightwave team and closer work with the studios. All in all LW 11 has being a HUGE step forward.

JamesCurtis
08-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Like the new site, but for some reason, it seemed like my cursor was lagging a bit in the login and password info boxes. Needed to reset my password due to this

Julez4001
08-02-2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the compliments! We worked hard on it! :)

remember when had that great thread "LW contest" where we the users bashed Newtek for always making LW look like it was all spaceships and kiddie toon stuff well this new site says no more.

Very polished ... even beats Luxology in the sheen department.

Most impressive sure.

Caveboy
08-02-2012, 09:57 PM
what about StarPro? for 3rd party

http://www.maasdigital.com/starpro/

alexs3d
08-02-2012, 11:54 PM
i love the new website, it looks very professional and the style makes me hungry to explore more about this software :) the header images look great and the member area is simple.

this is the style and way lightwave should look like, great work :) i am proud ...

djwaterman
08-03-2012, 04:12 AM

Definitely worthy of inclusion.

chris_solo
08-03-2012, 04:55 AM
really good work on the new site!! bravo!:thumbsup:

...with a nice gallery at last!:lwicon:

++Chris

geo_n
08-03-2012, 05:51 AM
How about a TOPROW on the forums now?

50one
08-03-2012, 06:28 AM

You are such "Glass is half empty" type of guy, don't you;)

give them time:thumbsup:

The Dommo
08-03-2012, 06:40 AM
remember when had that great thread "LW contest" where we the users bashed Newtek for always making LW look like it was all spaceships and kiddie toon stuff well this new site says no more.

I remember it WELL! :hey:

MentalFish
08-03-2012, 07:25 AM
Epic awesomeness, love the overall style and continued improvement to all aspects around LightWave you guys are bringing nowadays! Just gave the new login solution a test run and that also works like a charm. Now, get that T-Shirt in the online store so I can buy 3 or so!

prometheus
08-03-2012, 08:04 AM
Yes the website looks good, I have a minor request thou, when you look at learn and all tutorials added now, they should go through them and extract a thumbnail image that can give a little more graphic presentation of the tutorial, I just hate seing the same image next to the tutorial presentations
over and over again.

So this can be improved.

Michael

geo_n
08-03-2012, 08:29 AM
You are such "Glass is half empty" type of guy, don't you;)

give them time:thumbsup:

Nah. I was telling that same quote to megalodon at lux :D

djwaterman
08-03-2012, 08:41 AM
It's good to be able to use the new site as a portal into favorite third party sites instead of searching through bookmarks, so handy.

prometheus
08-03-2012, 08:52 AM
It's good to be able to use the new site as a portal into favorite third party sites instead of searching through bookmarks, so handy.

Absolutly, Ive been howling for this too, Great to see they have done this,
Now I can proudly present this on some Swedish forums and thus Lightwave will stand up as more proffesional when they have gathered all this wonderful third party tools under one roof, Im sure this will have some impact for some of the third party guys too.

Perhaps No more ..Ohh is this available for lightwave users? I didn´t know.

I didn´t know about auroragfx, isn´t that Tim Dunns stuff? when did he update his stuff, Havent seen or heard of him for a while, busy with lectures or spinquad or what?
That link is offline now thou it seems.

Michael

hrgiger
08-03-2012, 10:39 AM
I like the registration and downloads page better.

thekho
08-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Lightwave website looks impressive but Lightwave 11.5 features looks more impressive! :thumbsup: I'm happy to hear that they got some new tools for modeler since Lw8! Hopefully they get more modeler tools for Lightwave 12 in the future. It make me tempt to buy it :)

dwburman
08-03-2012, 12:12 PM
I'm sure more 3rd party vendors will be added over time.

The LightWave Group isn't simply adding whoever they like to the site unilaterally. They may reach out to vendors (so suggestions for who to reach out to are probably welcome), but the vendors are the ones who need to supply the content for the space.

Matt
08-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Great that they're recognising these in one easy place.

also www.auroragrafx.com is down for maintenance

We're adding to the list as third-parties get in touch with us with the copy they want to be included, and any images. This initial list came from a request we put out to third-party devs we knew about, and then from direct communications from others asking to be on there.

It's nothing personal! Heck I haven't added Preset Central yet, and I was directly involved in that!

It has already been updated several times since launch.

Matt
08-03-2012, 01:57 PM
spiders are fun and lovable creatures... They even raise their arms up when someone is nearby so that they can hug them :(

lol! :D

Matt
08-03-2012, 02:01 PM

We will be making those lists easier to navigate and search also, same goes for elsewhere on the site (gallery, news, training etc.)

Matt
08-03-2012, 02:02 PM

The forums are separate from the website currently.

OnlineRender
08-03-2012, 02:23 PM
look what I see

http://www.lightwiki.net/NTUPLOADS/ntnew.jpg

Philbert
08-03-2012, 03:21 PM
I'm not sure if this was mentioned before but I see that you have to type the www in the address, so http://lightwave3d.com doesn't work.This should be a simple switch to flip if I recall. That should probably be done before Siggraph.

BokadCastle
08-03-2012, 10:35 PM
I just had a quick check of the tutorials on the 'Learn LightWave' page of the new website.
I notice that at the end of the tutorial, a multi-selection screen appears (similar to YouTube) and if you make a selection, the title at the top remains unchanged.
Many of those selections are from YouTube and not on the original 'Learn LightWave' list.
I'm not saying this is bad necessarily or a bug.
I'm suggesting it gives a clunky look and feel which could be better developed.
Also the video I watched ended a little prematurely - it seemed to finish mid-sentence.

Philbert
08-03-2012, 10:38 PM
As I understand it these are all embded from YouTube, that's just the way YouTube works. I don't think there is any way to change the page title. some of those videos suggested may not even be about LightWave.

BokadCastle
08-03-2012, 11:47 PM
I watched William Vaughan's tutorial on tank treads.
At the end I got the YouTube multi-view screen showing tank tread tutorials from competing programs (C4D).
It was better (sorry William) - but why would you do that? - show a competitor's product on your brand new web site.

Philbert
08-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Because YouTube is an easy way to embed and host videos. It's not like NT purposely put competitor videos in the suggestions. You might get a suggestion for Kitten Mittons or a workout video.

Serling
08-03-2012, 11:55 PM

Oy...now you're just creeping me out!

Silkrooster
08-04-2012, 12:19 AM
apparently they do not see the word youtube in the lower righthand corner.

BokadCastle
08-04-2012, 12:51 AM
this is where the tuts should end.
http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialLightWave3D
..as I said I'm not against the YouTube thing per se.

littlewaves
08-04-2012, 01:31 AM
Note to LW webmaster. in order to prevent youtube from showing recommendations at the end simply add "?rel=0" to the end of the youtube iframe source url

so this

<iframe height="699" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5fXf1PpOv9M" width="932"></iframe>

becomes this

<iframe height="699" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5fXf1PpOv9M?rel=0" width="932"></iframe>

Better to have no recommendations at the end of the vid than to let youtube decide. In most cases it will give plenty of relevant LW content but could also throw up rival software or if you're really unlucky even derogatory stuff regarding LW that comes up in youtube's search

Mr. Wilde
08-04-2012, 07:33 AM
Wow, I love it. The additions in LW 11.5, and the new website. :thumbsup:

BokadCastle
08-05-2012, 11:35 AM
Note to LW webmaster. in order to prevent youtube from showing recommendations at the end simply add "?rel=0" to the end of the youtube iframe source url

so this

<iframe height="699" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5fXf1PpOv9M" width="932"></iframe>

becomes this

<iframe height="699" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5fXf1PpOv9M?rel=0" width="932"></iframe>

Better to have no recommendations at the end of the vid than to let youtube decide. In most cases it will give plenty of relevant LW content but could also throw up rival software or if you're really unlucky even derogatory stuff regarding LW that comes up in youtube's search

great post - and I've been able to confirm from the links in my email version that "?rel=0" works very nicely. Such a simple solution.

As Matt says in post #91 the website is separate so I think I'll contact the webmaster directly (see my attached image).
So firstly, is it OK for me to quote your post? - it articulates my concerns clearly and provides a solid alternative code.
I have a number of other suggestions to make at the same time, so if you prefer to make the point yourself then fine, no problem.

Julez4001
08-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Dpont dhould have his own section under Community with a BIG OL' SPLASHPAGE!

Philbert
08-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Oh I see they fixed the domain so that now lightwave3d.com works even without the www.

Dexter2999
08-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Although "lw3d.com" seems to redirect to the Newtek page.

Philbert
08-05-2012, 02:40 PM
I don't think I'ver ever triewd using lw3d.com since it's not really the product's name.

erikals
08-05-2012, 02:45 PM
it's ok, but www.lightwave3d.com is better

littlewaves
08-06-2012, 08:58 AM
So firstly, is it OK for me to quote your post? - it articulates my concerns clearly and provides a solid alternative code.
I have a number of other suggestions to make at the same time, so if you prefer to make the point yourself then fine, no problem.

no problem.

evolross
08-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Well the one problem with submitting my film work is this line in the fine print on the submission page:

By uploading an image you warrant and agree that you are the original creator and own the copyright to the image you submit, and that your submitting the image does not violate or conflict with the rights of any others in the image.
I don't own the copyright to anything I've taken off of a blu-ray. Newtek should look into solving this... Is it enough to put a copyright label on it for the studio that made the film? That's what I did on my reel. SideEffects and Autodesk have no problem splashing all their film work all over the place.

nickdigital
08-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Well the one problem with submitting my film work is this line in the fine print on the submission page:

By uploading an image you warrant and agree that you are the original creator and own the copyright to the image you submit, and that your submitting the image does not violate or conflict with the rights of any others in the image.

Yeah, this would be a problem for work we do too.

dblincoe
08-06-2012, 02:49 PM
We will be making those lists easier to navigate and search also, same goes for elsewhere on the site (gallery, news, training etc.)

+1 for the search. I was just going to suggest a search on the tutorials page.
Keep it up Matt and pass along to the others that their efforts are appreciated!

prometheus
08-06-2012, 03:03 PM
I just love those silver Lightwave Logos coated with diamonds?

when can we expect getting a few of those, real diamonds included:)
5 or 10 years of prescription using Lightwave?

Anyway, I would say that the lightwave website now is on par or even better looking than Luxology´s Modo page.

some polishing to do thou.

Michael

sadkkf
08-15-2012, 12:24 PM
It would be nice to be able to search the tutorials. Just saying.

BeeVee
08-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Although "lw3d.com" seems to redirect to the Newtek page.

Not any more... :)

B

erikals
08-24-2012, 04:22 PM
 
Taa-daaa! \:]

 

Philbert
08-24-2012, 04:26 PM
I wouldn't expect anyone would try lw3d.com but it's good to have it if they do. As an added bonus it makes it easier for posting links to it on Twitter.

erikals
08-24-2012, 04:51 PM
 
easy to type at least :]

LW3D.com