PDA

View Full Version : Modeling: piping on a subd'd seat cushion?

jeric_synergy
08-01-2012, 04:02 PM
The cylindrical fabric element that is often part of upholstery and military costumes is called 'piping'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piping_%28sewing%29

Often piping is part of a seat cushion on a chair or couch.

In the attached image, a spline has been created from the points that make up the subd cushion. Of course, the spline is nowhere near the surface of the cushion.

Without freezing the cushion, how can a LW modeler create piping on a subd cushion in such a way that it adheres tightly to the curve of the cushion?

Thanks?

JoePoe
08-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Bandsaw-pro a double cut around the middle polys. Set the cuts to something like 47% and mirror it (or however thick you want your seam).
Multishift out that seam. :)

(if your initial cuts are too close together the multishift will give you fits. Just keep your eye on that.)

jeric_synergy
08-01-2012, 06:19 PM
Bandsaw-pro a double cut .....

Joe, that worked PERFECT. I used CUT instead of BandSaw, but other that that, worked a treat! :thumbsup:

Thanks, mate! :lightwave

SplineGod
08-02-2012, 01:20 AM
Copy the cushion to another layer, pick points using select loop. Rail extrude, cut and paste back to the subd cushion.

jeric_synergy
08-02-2012, 01:47 AM
Copy the cushion to another layer, pick points using select loop. Rail extrude, cut and paste back to the subd cushion.
I did that too, but it seemed like cheating. :D The mesh, sorta, lacked integrity. ::eyeroll::

BTW, JFYI, I was trying to speedmodel an armchair, the one on the latest (2013!?) IKEA catalog cover. Failed MISERABLY! I think my approach might have worked, if I were using SketchUp instead of LWM. But, I wasn't.

Now that I think about it, perhaps spline modeling would be a more valid approach.

Jim M
08-02-2012, 01:59 AM
Depending on your geometry the bandsaw method may fail, or produce an uneven result.
The rail extrude method is more accurate but gives you seperate geometry, which can obviously look 'more cg'.
If you have Zbrush this sort if thing is easy to get a thorough result.

jeric_synergy
08-02-2012, 02:19 AM
If you have Zbrush this sort if thing is easy to get a thorough result.
Hah! Rent first, then software.

SplineGod
08-02-2012, 02:40 AM
I did that too, but it seemed like cheating. :D The mesh, sorta, lacked integrity. ::eyeroll::

BTW, JFYI, I was trying to speedmodel an armchair, the one on the latest (2013!?) IKEA catalog cover. Failed MISERABLY! I think my approach might have worked, if I were using SketchUp instead of LWM. But, I wasn't.

Now that I think about it, perhaps spline modeling would be a more valid approach.

Cheating is fine, its how things get done. :)
Besides, COPY and paste the cushion, freeze that, derive the points etc.
Make the piping then cut and paste that back to the original SubD cushion.

jeric_synergy
08-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Cheating is fine, its how things get done. :)
Besides, COPY and paste the cushion, freeze that, derive the points etc.
Make the piping then cut and paste that back to the original SubD cushion.
That was exactly my process. It was a little better than the MS way in that the piping was actually cylindrical. If it were a featured element in the render it would be the way to go.