PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 3D Group and Mr. Powers

rcallicotte
08-01-2012, 11:25 AM
You guys see this?

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/newtek-announces-the-lightwave-3d-group-names-rob-powers-group-president-1686248.htm

Congratulations to Rob Powers!

nickdigital
08-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Wow, very exciting. Congrats to NewTek and Rob.
:thumbsup:

rcallicotte
08-01-2012, 11:47 AM
I hope it's good for all of us! :D

wyattharris
08-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Yeah, just saw that. Congrats to Rob, interesting to see how this will change things.

zapper1998
08-01-2012, 11:58 AM
cool

stevecullum
08-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Congrats Rob. Its a good time to be a Lightwave user!

robpowers3d
08-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Yeah, just saw that. Congrats to Rob, interesting to see how this will change things.

Thanks guys! Essentially, it doesn't really change anything in the management of LightWave development. I will still be leading development and the same fantastic team will be developing the software. As you have seen our development progress has really started to hit high gear recently and there are no signs of that changing.

The entire team is excited to bring you the kinds of tools that we ourselves want to use. The real positive of this move is that it allows for the growth of dedicated resources for the LightWave 3D Group which I think will prove to be very beneficial to LightWave users worldwide. Thank you all for your support and for the amazing work that you do with our software.

wyattharris
08-01-2012, 12:10 PM
That's what I was thinking with you being announced as president. Seems it basically gives Lightwave Group the opportunity now to run its own show and develop its own business as seems best for the software and not necessarily Newtek in general.

Well I don't know the details of course. :D

Waves of light
08-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Just wanted to copy my congrats from the other thread Rob. It really is a good move by NT.

Really looking forward to seeing LW back on the map and the other goodies you and the devs have to offer.

OnlineRender
08-01-2012, 12:18 PM
:thumbsup::lwicon:

50one
08-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Hell yeah.:D
Great news, a step into right direction, who wants a beer?

shrox
08-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Wow, better than an Emmy I'd say.

maxwaver
08-01-2012, 12:25 PM
congratulation mr powers, i believe you will take lw to higher unexpected levels.

kadri
08-01-2012, 12:34 PM
Congratulations :thumbsup:

CaptainMarlowe
08-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Good news for wavers !

GandB
08-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Congratulations Rob! Perhaps you could now hire a few people who work in the Game Development arena, and steer some resources towards that?

kfinla
08-01-2012, 01:17 PM
^ I like that idea a lot.

Nicolas Jordan
08-01-2012, 01:38 PM
I would interpret this to mean that Rob has proven himself to Newtek upper management and has been given much more freedom to steer the Lightwave ship to future success! :)

hrgiger
08-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Congratulations Rob.

Kuzey
08-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Excellent news..congratulations Rob & everyone in the new LW Group :thumbsup:

Kuzey

SplineGod
08-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Good going Rob! :)

shrox
08-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Congratulations Rob! Perhaps you could now hire a few people who work in the Game Development arena, and steer some resources towards that?

Yeah, I wonder if there are any? Maybe someone used Lightwave at Rainbow, Maxis, EA, Digital Anvil, Sega, Digital Tech Frontier...and as art director too, I wonder who that might be?

scratch33
08-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Congratulation mister power. Good news.
The future is becoming brighter for lightwave. :thumbsup:

Philbert
08-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Sending my congrats too. Looking forward to a bright LightWave future.

souzou
08-01-2012, 03:46 PM
+1 congratulations Rob, doing a fantastic job! :thumbsup:

khan973
08-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Rob, I'm sincerely happy, congrats for this move, more freedom is also freedom to make the right decisions and on that side I think we can trust you.
I'm sure you're really aware of how schools are left aside, how we, European wavers feel lonely and I have faith that the marketing decisions will fill those gaps!
Going to Siggraph so I hope to meet you.

khan973
08-01-2012, 04:06 PM
I'm also looking forward to wee more exposition of the 3rd party stuff on future website(s) as they highly promote and showcase Lw's capabilities.

MAUROCOR
08-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Congratulations, Rob! It sounds really promising and I am very optimistic about the LW future again.
Well done, Newtek!:thumbsup:

ivanze
08-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Congratulations, Rob!!!

wesleycorgi
08-01-2012, 04:20 PM
"the creation of the LightWave 3DŽ Group, a division of NewTek, Inc., based in Burbank, Calif"

Does this mean the development team (or some of them) are moving to SoCal? It would make sense to strengthen ties to the studios.

JamesCurtis
08-01-2012, 04:32 PM
Congratulations!! Great news!!

wesleycorgi
08-01-2012, 04:53 PM
It's kind of a bummer the new LW site wasn't up in time for the announcement; I think it would have been a nice unveiling. I guess it will have to wait til next week!

lardbros
08-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Well... it's really not surprising to hear. The huge changes he has made are being rewarded. Clearly it's not ALL him, but he has had a hand in choosing the new team members... of which he's chosen very wisely.

Good work team... and Rob too! :) Well done!

Hopefully this means they'll have dedicated members for a web team and even LW HR people? Good times are a-coming! :D

kopperdrake
08-01-2012, 06:20 PM
I absolutely love the direction LightWave has taken over the last two versions. Keep this momentum going - it's so much fun and has really made recent projects not just easier and quicker, but possible!

shrox
08-01-2012, 06:28 PM
I absolutely love the direction LightWave has taken over the last two versions. Keep this momentum going - it's so much fun and has really made recent projects not just easier and quicker, but possible!

Yes, I am always hesitant to upgrade, but I think I will soon.

Andrewstopheles
08-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Congrats Rob! Newtek made a wise move. I hope you got a great deal, you deserve it!
Lightwave has really turned around since you came aboard. I'm glad to hear the relationship is continuing forward.

Nicolas Jordan
08-01-2012, 06:53 PM
"the creation of the LightWave 3DŽ Group, a division of NewTek, Inc., based in Burbank, Calif"

Does this mean the development team (or some of them) are moving to SoCal? It would make sense to strengthen ties to the studios.

It makes sense to be closer to the entertainment industry if that is one of the main uses of the software.

Ernest
08-01-2012, 07:55 PM

If you look at Matt's "Location," it's already happening!

This is way up there with Marissa Mayer in the competition for the smartest promotion of the year.

adk
08-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Congrats Rob & to the whole LightWave 3D Group !

robpowers3d
08-01-2012, 08:57 PM

Thanks again everyone. The kind words really do mean a lot to me and the team. Yes it is true, the division will be based in Burbank and Matt and several other team members are now based here with me and working closely with the studios.

khan973
08-01-2012, 10:00 PM
Thanks again everyone. The kind words really do mean a lot to me and the team. Yes it is true, the division will be based in Burbank and Matt and several other team members are now based here with me and working closely with the studios.

Awesome! don't forget to give some love to Europe! :) We are very few studios using 100% LightWave, we need your help to make strong connexions with schools and with us too.:I_Love_Ne

wesleycorgi
08-01-2012, 10:40 PM

That's awesome; it's always good to have jobs come to the Los Angeles area!
And a much deserved congratulations to you Rob!

robpowers3d
08-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Awesome! don't forget to give some love to Europe! :) We are very few studios using 100% LightWave, we need your help to make strong connexions with schools and with us too.:I_Love_Ne

How could we forget Europe with our team? We have have team members from Austria, Italy, France, Finland, England, as well as Japan, NZ, and Australia! :)

alexs3d
08-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Congrats Rob and to the whole LightWave 3D Group /Team.

who is the guy form austria in the team, i am also from austria and very interested who this guy is :)

MarcusM
08-02-2012, 01:03 AM
Nobody from Poland? We have many LW veterans here :)

Good luck in developing! Now the competition will not be able to sleep peacefully :)

djwaterman
08-02-2012, 02:51 AM
I seem to be living in some strange fantasy world were Lightwave has a cool new website, a bunch of amazing new features coming up and a dedicated crew of developers concentrating their energies in making and marketing an amazing 3D application. In this crazy fantasy of mine the gallery art is filtered so that only quality work gets seen, and Lightwave's features are impressively put across without any hype. There's even this outrageous delusion that Rob Powers has been made president of a special Lightwave division. I've tried to shake off these insane phantoms but lately that's been getting almost impossible, I confess, it's much easier to just give in a go with it.

SplineGod
08-02-2012, 03:02 AM
I know, Im scared too! :)

Andy Webb
08-02-2012, 04:04 AM
Congrats to Rob and the team, looking forward to a bright future :D

Bitboy
08-02-2012, 05:25 AM
Congrats on the new position Rob. The LW 11.5 features looks great! Best of luck for the future in developing my favorite application :lwicon:

LW_Will
08-02-2012, 06:40 AM
Congrats Rob!

GraphXs
08-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Great News! Congrats Rob! 11.5, website, nobody complaining about NT and LW, everything seems amazing!

ncr100
08-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Congrats Rob and to the whole LightWave 3D Group /Team.

who is the guy form austria in the team, i am also from austria and very interested who this guy is :)

+1

Congrats to the whole team - the userbase benefits from your strength :)

Kuzey
08-02-2012, 09:03 AM
I know, Im scared too! :)

Yeah...this can't be right! Three favorable threads about LW + team on the Newtek forums? The world must be coming to an end...quick..someone start a rant :D

Kuzey

BeeVee
08-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Even better, favourable threads on LightWave on *other* forums too :) (yes, other forums do exist)

B

Kuzey
08-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Nooooooooo....way :thumbsup:

I'm so hoping that the siggraph demos are rock solid...it just has to be..you hear me NT...it has to be!

I'm getting all tingly and stuff...long live Modeler..haha!

Kuzey

50one
08-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Yeah...this can't be right! Three favorable threads about LW + team on the Newtek forums? The world must be coming to an end...quick..someone start a rant :D

Kuzey

A rant? Wait for megalodon...oh wait;):thumbsup:

Glad to see you're getting your sh*t together finally:goodluck:

evolross
08-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Congrats to the Lightwave team I like this news too. :lightwave

Though to play devil's advocate, doesn't this also mean that "Lightwave" and its team is on its own? Making them a separate division could be the Netwek upper management saying, "Let's see if Lightwave can sustain itself without any help from big brother Newtek (i.e. Tricaster money)." As I'm sure Lightwave sales aren't what they used to be. It wouldn't surprise me if the Lightwave division was getting a little "fortification" from Newtek in the last few years. This could be upper management testing the viability of the Lightwave product in the future. Sorry, just thinking about how the business world works.

With that said, with the Lightwave guys in control now, I have a feeling sales WILL start increasing over the next few years and that the product will be resurrected.

Nicolas Jordan
08-02-2012, 10:02 AM

Kuzey

I'm sure I could come up with something. :D

lardbros
08-02-2012, 01:21 PM
I seem to be living in some strange fantasy world were Lightwave has a cool new website, a bunch of amazing new features coming up and a dedicated crew of developers concentrating their energies in making and marketing an amazing 3D application. In this crazy fantasy of mine the gallery art is filtered so that only quality work gets seen, and Lightwave's features are impressively put across without any hype. There's even this outrageous delusion that Rob Powers has been made president of a special Lightwave division. I've tried to shake off these insane phantoms but lately that's been getting almost impossible, I confess, it's much easier to just give in a go with it.

Haha... all that's left on my list of "Things I've moaned about for years, and needs sorting" is a manual that includes snippets of video on how to use the tools :) I think I need to up my game and think of some more things... I'm running dangerously low... what else is there for Newtek to do if I don't keep my list up-to-date! ;)

Eek!

prometheus
08-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Congrats to Rob, and the decision to create the section of a Lightwave group, that seems like a good management.

I will be awaiting even more nice additions and innovation leaps in the future.

Michael

Snosrap
08-02-2012, 07:49 PM
How could we forget Europe with our team? We have have team members from Austria, Italy, France, Finland, England, as well as Japan, NZ, and Australia! :)

Congrats Rob and LW Team! One thing that I think would be super cool for the new website would be to introduce the LW team to us with some bio's about each team member. You know some info about their general responsibilities to the LW code etc. Maybe their education background and just interesting facts about them - hobbies etc.. :thumbsup:

MAUROCOR
08-02-2012, 09:35 PM
Congrats Rob and LW Team! One thing that I think would be super cool for the new website would be to introduce the LW team to us with some bio's about each team member. You know some info about their general responsibilities to the LW code etc. Maybe their education background and just interesting facts about them - hobbies etc.. :thumbsup:

+1:thumbsup:

Octo
08-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Congratulations rob and best of luck.

wyattharris
08-03-2012, 09:14 AM
A rant? Wait for megalodon...oh wait;):thumbsup:

Easy now, let's be gracious with good news. :thumbsup:

thekho
08-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Congratulations, Rob Powers :) All the best!

Ztreem
08-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Congrats!

Verlon
08-03-2012, 11:22 PM
I can be gracious about good news. I was unhappy with the Core-10-11 thing. I am sure I could dig up some of that old news if you like. Truthfully, I think this is a positive directions, and I am hopeful that LW12 will be a strong product.

Greenlaw
08-05-2012, 02:13 AM
Awesome news! Congrats and good luck guys!

khan973
08-05-2012, 05:00 AM
It's so rare to see so many happy customers, that's for sure the right direction!

Areyos Alektor
08-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Congratulations to Rob, and the team! Good luck to you :)