PDA

View Full Version : Nodal Smooth Scale deformation?

AbstractTech3D
07-31-2012, 06:45 PM
Is there a way to achieve a nodal based smooth scale deformation?

I'd imagine some kind of nodal displacement rig moving polygons along their normals and scaling appropriately. ?

(Like the Smooth Scale operation in Modeler. Obviously its quite different to simply scaling a part / object).

Sensei
07-31-2012, 08:06 PM
Spot Info > Normal vector connect to input in Math > Vector > Scale and output to Input in Displacement node.

To Scale scalar plug Weight map node output multiplied by some constant scalar.

lertola2
07-31-2012, 08:10 PM
You can take the spot info normal output and scale that with the scale node and then plug that into the displacement node.

AbstractTech3D
07-31-2012, 11:56 PM
Thanks guys.

Unfortunately though, not quite getting the desired result. The scale seems to amplify angular differences in the planes, and doesn't seem to handle corners well.

See attached images.

(The geometry, although it looks simple, is in fact quite complex, with many vertices at the rounded corners of the letter T.)

Sensei
08-01-2012, 04:31 AM
Try using Smooth Scale with -0.1 in Modeler with your T letter.

It'll be screwed the same way as using Scale node in Layout Deform Node Editor..

3DGFXStudios
08-01-2012, 04:33 AM
You can make a morph maybe to simulate the effect you are after.

AbstractTech3D
08-01-2012, 04:35 AM
Try using Smooth Scale with -0.1 in Modeler with your T letter.

It'll be screwed the same way as using Scale node in Layout Deform Node Editor..

You're quite right.

AbstractTech3D
09-26-2012, 05:15 AM
Still stuck on this.

It seems to me that I need some sort of scaling operation that acts with non-polygon crossing algorithms a bit like in Bevel ++.

I ultimately want to place a copy of some text geometry cleanly reduced in size by perhaps 10% inside the original text geometry. And then have it protrude through the original. Quite like this http://www.smallanimations.com/gallery1.html (from another LW user on these forums).

Thanks!