PDA

View Full Version : Unseen by Radiosity as a Scalar or Percentage

Jim M
07-31-2012, 03:06 AM
Object Properties / Render Tab / Unseen by Radiosity Checkbox

This could be a scalar or percentage, rather than on /off.
Would be useful for controlling colour bleed, or boosting light bounce intensity.

Tobian
07-31-2012, 07:47 AM
Jim, if you want to do that then do it nodally. For example. Plug a 'bounces' spot output into a gradient input. expose your gradient outputs and plug in the colour you want into the colour and feed that into your diffuse, colour or whatever.

0 being the camera viewed property and then 1, 2, 3, 4 etc being the subsequent bounces. You could probably put in a logic node in there so it's only seen to radiosity and not reflection etc.

Sensei
07-31-2012, 07:59 AM
If something is unseen, it's unseen. That's the way I think.

What you want is dissolve that is exposed in Node Editor, so easily configurable (in other words - transparency)
Or couple dissolve sliders for different cases instead of current just one for everything.

Jim M
08-01-2012, 03:10 AM
Thanks for the input, but I just think it is such an obviously simple and much needed thing, and it would be easy for the developers to do.

Andrew, can you show me a nodal example where you can modify (nodally) the reflected radiosity power of an object (not a surface)?

Tobian
08-01-2012, 05:37 AM
Surface yes, object no.. No global surfaces (natively).

Jim M
08-01-2012, 05:40 AM
Yep I am aware of this :) Thats's why I asked the question ;)

Sensei
08-01-2012, 05:53 AM
Try Spot Info > Radiosity Ray plug to Materials > Material Mixer node Alpha.
One material for radiosity rays, second for regular rays.

erikals
08-01-2012, 06:26 AM
i'd do it in post, could be useful at time though

Tobian
08-01-2012, 06:43 AM
Actually you could do it, using a null as a property driver, but it would take a bit of setup... :)

Jim M
08-01-2012, 07:54 AM
but it would take a bit of setup

Yep, ridiculously with complicated objects. And doing it in post sometimes is a massive ballache, when you know you are going to go through 4 or 5 amends cycles.

I think this is a good feature request.

+ Sensei, thats a neat solution. Thanks.

Tobian
08-01-2012, 08:01 AM
well with a weight map you could just set it up on all surfaces but have it only apply per object. If you want me to show you some setups then let me know.

Jim M
08-01-2012, 08:12 AM
I appreciate it, but finding any number of solutions on a surface basis isn't the issue. When setting up GI, the tweaking in room setups is so back and forth that editing all the surfaces in several complicated objects to reduce colour bounce here and increase it there, is painful, if not a "lets not go down that road"... not only that it is saved with the object, so you would have to make iterations of objects, or save many many many surfaces to stay healthily/iteratively backed up, and with objects being very large in my world, it gets silly. This is my whole point there are so many slow you down gotchas with being limited to a surface based solution that a simple percentage per object would make it very manageable.
Don't you agree?