PDA

View Full Version : The death of Microsoft

Snosrap
07-30-2012, 07:41 PM
A very interesting article about Microsoft. http://m.vanityfair.com/business/2012/08/microsoft-lost-mojo-steve-ballmer

jeric_synergy
07-30-2012, 08:16 PM
Dude, you buried the lede:

"Exhibit A: today the iPhone brings in more revenue than the entirety of Microsoft."

Dexter2999
07-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Whatever.

Apple appears to be abandoning computers that people work on. They are all about casual users, gadgets, and mobile iOS and computing.

Windows is derailing itself trying to mimic it. They are losing sight of what they OWN, business computing. Windows 8 and that whole tile thing is a ridiculous Cluster F#*$. Microsoft needs to stop playing "me too".

Darth Mole
07-31-2012, 03:23 AM
Agreed. Microsoft has simply copied everyone else around it for over a decade now. And it would appear from that article that any decent internal innovation is stifled before it can even appear, let alone become successful. Ballmer is an idiot, with no vision and no taste. Steve Jobs has more influence over the tech industry - and he's dead.

ShadowMystic
07-31-2012, 03:49 AM
I haven't read that article yet, but I have considered learning to use linux as my personal computing software. My concern is getting Lightwave to work or having to keep a win 7(the last win that I think I'm going to have) boot, and what antivirus is good for linux.(I use avast now.)

50one
07-31-2012, 03:58 AM
Couldn't agree more, quite recently updated vista tomwin7, don't even want to hear about win8, if the future will bring more cloudcrapware and everything will be windows app store bsed, than i'll be more than happy tomswitch entirely to linux.
I've ben using various distros for the past 10 years and to be honest i've never bothered tominstall antivirus on linux, i guess could be usefullmif you're dealing with windows files and sending them to customers or whatever...

cagey5
07-31-2012, 04:23 AM
Agreed. I only boot Windows to run Lightwave. Dual booting is no problem. I'd recommend you try an install of the latest stable release. (I use ubuntu 12.04) and see how you like it.

I too, have never bothered with antivirus on Linux.

wesleycorgi
07-31-2012, 07:06 AM
Great article. It is sad to see a company with good tech get lost by bad management via a kind of a Chinese-style communism and lack of real innovation. in stark contrast (having read the Steve Jobs bio), Apple flourishes via dictatorship and an emphasis on innovation. What is the happy medium? Google, perhaps.

I know the point of the article is to reinforce that Microsoft is failing because of its corporate culture, but it doesn't bring up Xbox 360. I love the PS3 (despite several flaws) and would have never thought of owning an Xbox. But once I played with the Kinect, I thought I had seen the future of not only gaming but computing and beyond. Then all these clever folks figured how to use the Kinect for a variety of incredible applications, such as a poor man's mocap.

Microsoft may not have created the tech, but they used it in a a consumer-accessible way, much like Apple didn't create the smart phone nor the tablet PC.

-EsHrA-
07-31-2012, 10:05 AM
Agreed. I only boot Windows to run Lightwave. Dual booting is no problem. I'd recommend you try an install of the latest stable release. (I use ubuntu 12.04) and see how you like it.

I too, have never bothered with antivirus on Linux.

ubuntu 64bit i presume.
any peeves with 64 bit?
because ubuntu download 'recommends' 32 bit..

sort of tempted to install linux.. :)

mlon

50one
07-31-2012, 10:59 AM
ubuntu 64bit i presume.
any peeves with 64 bit?
because ubuntu download 'recommends' 32 bit..

sort of tempted to install linux.. :)

mlon

I'm using the 64 bit @ work and so far[few months] haven't had any issues, not sure why they recommend the x86 version, maybe compability issues and not every software is available in 64 bit? Version 12 is great, although I don't like that metro interface..:)

cagey5
07-31-2012, 11:48 AM
I actually really like the interface. And yes, I'm also on 64 bit. Not sure why 32 is recommended, I've not had any serious problems though I don't often exchange office documents with others so not sure how compatible libre office is for instance.

UnCommonGrafx
07-31-2012, 11:59 AM
32 is recommended, I believe, when it senses that the mb may not be 64bit.

Had AE tell me something like this for years before I figured it was about what the mb could do.

fazi69
07-31-2012, 12:19 PM
Microsoft was always like that. Those old enough to be Amiga users remember how MS products was always behind. Same thing goes to OSX so there is no way out. Less and less configuration and customization and more and more NSA back doors and useless services plus countless gigabytes of .... who knows what. Only good thing I can think of is real improvement is stability.
Bootable Lightwave 12 is the future. No OS at all or Lightwave for Playstation 3 ;-)

UnCommonGrafx
07-31-2012, 12:28 PM
Bootable Lightwave 12 is the future. No OS at all or Lightwave for Playstation 3 ;-)

Since the VT, NT has had "Bootable" scenarios for their software. No OS is a fallacy, don't ya think?
I think instant booting is what we want; the OS is going to be needed for quite some time. May be termed something else but it's going to be the OS.

Edit:
To stay germane, I believe this is what became of XP: it became a necessary evil, needed to access one's chosen path to the dream. You know, use your favorite programs...
Turnkey systems are this idea.

However, the new CPUs on a chip are going to be quite interesting if LW and other such apps become available on them. As Linux is the platform generally, one hopes that some of the smaller houses will begin programing for it. Ha. Mac coding isn't even that straightforward.

MS can be the zombie of billion dollar companies, raking in cash while doing... stuff.

Tonttu
07-31-2012, 01:26 PM
Valve is introducing Steam for Linux and is investing into the general improvement of the desktop Linux experience. They are hiring devs as we speak and looking at what problems (http://linuxfonts.narod.ru/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.htm l) are the most critical. So around Win 8 release date would be a pretty good time to switch to Linux I'd say! Do try Linux Mint (http://linuxmint.com/) for the classic desktop feel and all around solidity.

COBRASoft
07-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Windows 8 is more powerful than most people think. The 'tiles' (Metro) style is mainly a HTML5+Javascript interface (read the future!). Microsoft is not dead, not yet. Their Windows Azure platform is cheap and very powerful and is easy to use for developers.

Apple is losing terrain fast to Samsung and the like. Google is current dictator... But for how long?

As for Amiga... I remember the days where PC's could show TEXT and Apple could show 16 colors... AmigaOS has to be brought to todays levels and support VMWare or similar :).

coremi
07-31-2012, 03:26 PM
Microsoft is so far from dead, u people should check out top most profitable companies, in the last years Apple is not top 5 in US almost not top 20 world wide. Linux as a PC platform is a niche and cannot compete with windows. Microsoft is King in office apps and programming apps, best apps there is, no competition what so ever fo Office and Visual C, java, etc...
Windows has 97,3% pc marketshare, it may loose 10% or 20% maybe 40% in the next 10 years, still leader. I really don't understand what people have against microsoft. It was the only OS that could be instaled on any platform build anyware with any components you could find, only later the other oS could do that. That made possible for us, poor ones to have a computer, nobody could afford apple. remeber Linux 3x, 4x almost nobody could find drivers for the whole system, half worked, half didn't. For me Microsoft is great, i build networks with servers and network apps from them, they work everytime, and they get the job done, 80% of Open Office suite clients made an effort and bought Microsoft office after pulling there hair out for month. Today a client came with a 3 year old macbook full of dust, getting hot and making noises. No technical help from apple how to completetly desamble the laptop to clean it. Check HP, Dell, IBM, any human with common sense can take it out piece by piece and put it back together. I had to send the apple 400km away to a reseler and pay 3x the price for a simple clean and wait 4 days. As a customer do you find that ok ?
Windows 7 sold almost 600 mil licences in 18 month, Apple sales 15 mil pe 12 month maybe 25 mil in 18 month, Ubuntu after 5 years was really happy with 11 milions user.
There is no productivity for mases with Linux and Apple, Linux is great for small servers, pop3 mail etc... and Apple for fancy offices, cool boses wives etc.... All the hard work is done on Windows platform by hundred of milions of people world wide.

cagey5
07-31-2012, 03:44 PM
I'm happy that you're happy with Windows. :)

shrox
07-31-2012, 04:40 PM
BOB went away, so will this "tile" crap.

bazsa73
07-31-2012, 06:13 PM
yes, and the Sun will devour Earth one day...

shrox
07-31-2012, 06:22 PM
yes, and the Sun will devour Earth one day...

That's a long time to wait for a patch or update, and I have ADD.

COBRASoft
07-31-2012, 06:49 PM
I hate tiles because they're ugly! Nevertheless, tiles are here to stay.

I implemented tiles in my ERP app as kind of feature test towards future development. Guess what... my customers LOVE it, they find it much easier to navigate and find their way in my ERP app (hundreds of screens). The app has an Outlook alike navigation pane with embedded treeviews (until now).
Result... more time will be invested in this tile/metro style so my customers are happy and we get the hands on this new style of app development.

P.S.: I've been to a presentation of this metro style and why Microsoft went that way. Once you know the why and for who, it makes total sense. It is based on the simplicity of the New York metro and how the gates are shown to the travelers.

BigHache
07-31-2012, 06:58 PM
It is based on the simplicity of the New York metro and how the gates are shown to the travelers.

Time travelers??? ;)

I think the article is interesting. I think it has some valid points but I don't think MS is dead. At the end of the day it's an editorial intended to sway your decision to agree with the author. Long live my Tomy Tutor.

Ernest
07-31-2012, 08:52 PM
and how the gates are shown to the travelers.

They show all the Gates to travelers, or just Bill?

K-Dawg
08-01-2012, 02:43 AM
...remeber Linux 3x, 4x almost nobody could find drivers for the whole system, half worked, half didn't....
Linux 3x just got released this year and 4x doesn't even exist yet, but thanks for ranting.

BTW. EVERY system has problems with drivers, not just Linux and Linux has the most drivers to Hardware pre-built in the Kernel what Windows doesn't have. Now if you get exotic hardware, you might have trouble with it on Linux AND MAc, cause Mainstream Companies only make drivers for Windows, but thats not Mac OR Linux fault.

Don't get me started on the rest.

BTW. Windows 8 is horrible and it is clearly visible which route they chose. Standard Desktop users will sooner or later hate Windows 8. How many of those goold old XP Software run on Vista/7? I know hundreds that don't and several of mine don't, not even HArdware that ran on XP works with Vista/7 but runs easily on with Linux....

Bill Carey
08-01-2012, 04:14 AM
I liked the tiles so much I finally bought another copy of win7 to upgrade my old machine. That said, I am going to get one of the MS ultrabooks for work and give it a try. (I wish Balmer would retire though.)

jburford
08-01-2012, 04:26 AM
MicroSoft is far from Dead, getting stronger each day from installations of Linux Servrs put into service!

http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/microsoft_patent_licensing-linux-amdocs-IFI_Claims_Patent_Service,1-352.html

Also interesting. . .

According to IFI Claims Patent Services, Microsoft ranks sixth in annual patent grants. The company was granted 2,311 new patents in 2011. Leading the charge is IBM with 6,180 new patents in 2011. According to the USPTO, Microsoft currently holds 30,126 patents in total.

Apple and MicroSoft Team up.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57481675-38/apple-and-microsoft-to-team-up-for-kodaks-patents/

and speaking of Patents. ;-)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markgibbs/2012/07/27/apples-ridiculous-patent/

Have not found the current number of Patents a Year for Apple but this

Apple was granted 563 patents in 2010

from http://mashable.com/2011/01/17/apple-patents/

COBRASoft
08-01-2012, 05:00 AM
FYI, Windows 8 is like Windows 7 with a new layer (WinRT) on top. So, all programs from Windows 7 will run on Windows 8. You still have the desktop and all the other stuff.

Don't like Metro, change 1 registry setting and Metro is gone. Set it back, Metro is back. Simple.

BigHache
08-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Don't like Metro, change 1 registry setting and Metro is gone. Set it back, Metro is back. Simple.

That's cool for US, the more savvy, but I kinda feel that should be a choice the user makes on install or immediately after install with the Windows UI and not as a "hack". The average user is not going to be able to make that registry change (even with Google and all the instructions handed to them), and if Metro isn't wanted in an office setting IT will be the only ones with permisisions to do that.

I'm all for trying out new tech personally. I have a Win 8 installer, I just need a psu for my spare system. Oh and time.

COBRASoft
08-01-2012, 10:10 AM
There are already tons of little proggies available for the registry setting. Also, we have only a preview version. I'll have the full version in September (through MSDN). I have read there will be a pro version for offices and the likes, perhaps MS will disable Metro standard in those version?

Metro is surely handy with touch screens, with the mouse... Donno, haven't played enough with it. The anim system is very nice and fluent though.

BigHache
08-01-2012, 03:14 PM
I need to just go get another psu and play around with it. Yeah I don't know about practical application to desktops but still worth looking at.

Philbert
08-01-2012, 03:24 PM
Personally I'm glad to see companies like Microsoft and Google giving the industry a kick in the pants to get moving forward instead of just stagnating. I have Windows 8 installed on my laptop and it's fantastic. Faster than it was before, Start Page offers much more than a Start menu ever did, apps are useful to have in addition to full programs. Overall it's more attractive too. I love the new look of Office, which I now have installed on Win8 and on my Win7 desktop.

coremi
08-01-2012, 03:31 PM
[QUOTE=K-Dawg;1259916]Linux 3x just got released this year and 4x doesn't even exist yet, but thanks for ranting.

Sorry mate, i have used Red Hat 3.0x in 1996, i had a system with dual boot Linux Red Hat 3 and Microsoft NT 4, on a 20gb HDD with an Cyrix 166Mhx CPU, i think you are talking about Ubuntu or one of the other 5000 Linux distributions.

MentalFish
08-01-2012, 04:55 PM
Apple is losing terrain fast to Samsung and the like. Google is current dictator... But for how long?

Others might be larger, but Apple is constantly growing their marketshare (both iOS + OSX). In terms of the mobile market, Samsung is also present in a market that Apple is not, low performance, low cost devices which contributes to a larger marketshare.
http://news.cnet.com/8300-5_3-0.html?keyword=market+share

If only LW, Unity and Adobe Photoshop were available on Linux, I would consider that OS :)

K-Dawg
08-02-2012, 03:16 PM
Sorry mate, i have used Red Hat 3.0x in 1996, i had a system with dual boot Linux Red Hat 3 and Microsoft NT 4, on a 20gb HDD with an Cyrix 166Mhx CPU, i think you are talking about Ubuntu or one of the other 5000 Linux distributions.

Nope, sorry mate, but your getting Distribution and Linux mixed up. Linux is just the Kernel and that has just arrived to version 3+ this year.

Red Hat Linux is just a Distribution. One of many, but not in a negative way your comment may try to make it sound.

http://www.kernel.org/

Lightwolf
08-02-2012, 03:45 PM
I hate tiles because they're ugly! Nevertheless, tiles are here to stay.

I was very positively surprised when I saw them the first time. The GUI certainly makes a lot of sense and tries to go in new directions. :thumbsup: for that.

However, not for a desktop.

Cheers,
Mike

COBRASoft
08-02-2012, 05:23 PM
For pro devs... The idea behind metro is to give a better overview of data with interactive charts, bars and so on. It is certainly not meant for entering data. That's why programs like Office won't fit in Metro.

As for the tiles... Imagine you have several tiles which launch different parts of an application. Each tile can have a different context and data. E.g. how many unread mails are waiting for you, how much quotes are waiting your approval, how much customers paid their invoices in the last week. All this information with the blink of an eye. Kinda like a dashboard with direct connection to the report or program once clicked. It's this idea I've implemented in our ERP and people love it.

Philbert
08-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Others might be larger, but Apple is constantly growing their marketshare (both iOS + OSX).

Interesting article on why apple must continue this lawsuit nonsense if they want to stay in business.

http://www.androidcentral.com/apples-earnings-call-sign-lawsuits-can-never-stop

MentalFish
08-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Interesting article on why apple must continue this lawsuit nonsense if they want to stay in business.

So he is saying, as soon as there are enough apps available for Android and Windows (i guess mobile in this case), Apple will loose the battle unless they keep on suing other companies? Everyone I know who is a non-geek, buys Apple products to avoid mucking about with the system (both in terms of hardware and software), and couldn't give a rats hiney on who is suing who. No Samsung product is banned in Norway due to a lawsuit, so why don't I see a majority of Android devices among non-geeky friends and coworkers? Only the Apple-hating geek friends I have go for Android :)

I have an LG Android phone for testing Unity games on, and whenever I consider ditching my iPhone for a latest greatest Android, I feel they are all of subpar performance (laggy and fiddly UI) and cheap plastic build quality, with the exception of some HTC models which feels rather good in terms of material quality. There are things I dislike strongly about Apple, but they are mostly regarding policies (battery change for one!!) and their sub-par sales staff in this city telling me lies, either out of stupidity or sad attempts to sell more.

For as long as other companies are trying to emulate Apple at a lower price and quality, Apple has little to fear, and have all the right in the world to sue their asses over being copycats (for as long as we have patents and copyrights in place). Their time would be better spent on focusing on their next product line though. I think we will see a decline of Apple over time as the draconian-monster-grip-of-quality-control seems to have gone with Jobs. I.e. the Apple TV GUI is now based on a rather tacky interface rejected by Steve Jobs a few years back and the latest Apple ads remind me more of something from Microsoft. But for now, Apple is still growing, just not as much as Android.

It is rather silly of Apple to be so nuts about others trying to copy them, as they don't seem to loose customers to copycats anyway. Also considering the Picasso quote from Jobs: "Good artists copy, great artists steal." How in the world can they then sue someone when their guru held that up as a great way of doing things in life...?

Oh well, Apple is continuing to grow, and others are trying to emulate them.

Dexter2999
08-02-2012, 08:43 PM
the only market Apple is going to lose is the Uber-nerd market. The average user doesn't care about hacks. As long as what they need and what entertains them is freely available, so goes the masses.

Most people don't want to think. Apple makes that easy.

Apple just files law suits because everyday they keep competition out of a market is one more day they have cement their stranglehold on the market.

Philbert
08-02-2012, 10:16 PM
I only know one person who owns a mac, my friend's girlfriend, just because her work gave it to her.

the only market Apple is going to lose is the Uber-nerd market.

This is an interesting comment. Seeing as 68% (http://techcrunch.com/2012/08/02/canalys-q2-68-of-all-smartphones-shipped-were-android-chinas-the-biggest-market-by-a-wide-margin/) of the smartphones in the world are Android, that's implying an awful lot of people are "uber-nerds".

Dexter2999
08-02-2012, 10:47 PM
68% is an interesting statistic. Because of the smartphone users I know Android users are probably around 30%.

I'm sure corporate sales cut into the Apple sales numbers. (Can't imagine a company buying iPhones for employees...unless it is Apple.)

Of the people I know that do not have iPhones, the CARRIER was the deciding factor not the phone.

EDIT: I will admit that in the cell phone heavy culture of Japan, I hardly ever saw an iPhone. It seemed like most everyone was using the same model of slim flip phone and texting like crazy on the trains.

These docomo phones "Style series" seemed the most popular (to me)
http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/product/foma/style/index.html

Philbert
08-02-2012, 10:56 PM
Well you say that like it's a made up number while multiple agencies report that in the US alone Android is over 50%. I believe comScore has it at 52% right now. Personally when I'm out and about almost everyone I see has an Android of some type.

Dexter2999
08-02-2012, 11:33 PM
Researched it and looks like iPhones even though they are made in China are not sold there. Android phones make up 83% of phone sales there now. In China that has to mean Billions of phones.

Tried to find a map of where iPhones are available and the only map I see is from 2008
http://fortunebrainstormtech.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/picture-201.jpg

Philbert
08-03-2012, 12:23 AM
So "billions" of Chinese all have smart phones?

Wired Magazine seems to disagree about iphones not being available in China.
"more than half of the 30 million iPhone users in China have unlocked their phones "

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/05/opinion-washburn-iphone-china/

Dexter2999
08-03-2012, 12:29 AM
Are you questioning whether Chinese people have smart phones? Or my exaggeration of the quantity?

According to wikipedia there are 1,046,510,000 mobile phones in China. Another article cites 83% of sales last year were Android phones.

Sure I exaggerated...but not by much.

Philbert
08-03-2012, 12:52 AM
It's a simple fact that not everyone has a smart phone and frankly many Chinese don't have a phone at all. (Not trying to bad mouth the Chinese here). Is that Wikipedia statistic 1,046,510,000 mobile phones or a 1,046,510,000 smart phones? "Dumb" phones shouldn't be factored in here. Even in the USA only just over half of people have a smart phone.

Dexter2999
08-03-2012, 12:56 AM
So you are taking issue with me exaggerating 500,000,000 into 1Billion? (Using your estimate of half being smart phones.)

Seriously? Do you by any chance suffer from Aspergers?

alexos
08-03-2012, 03:28 AM
I remember when Netscape dominated the browsers arena, and Microsoft came up with Internet Explorer, and most people thought it was a joke. On the other hand and roughly at the same time, OS/2 Warp was hailed as the Best Operating System Ever. We do know what happened then.

This kind of "prediction" (or the uber-simplistic one about Apple having to endlessly sue other companies) is certainly interesting, but nearly invariably wrong in the mid- and long term; there are just too many variables... We're talking about a complex system, after all, and on a scaringly large scale.

ADP.

Snosrap
08-03-2012, 10:59 AM
I'm sure corporate sales cut into the Apple sales numbers. (Can't imagine a company buying iPhones for employees...unless it is Apple.)
Our mid-sized company dropped Blackberry's in favor of approximately 50 iPhones.

COBRASoft
08-03-2012, 11:17 AM
I have the latest Dolphin 7800 from Honeywell here at my desk. It is available with Windows Mobile 6.5 and Android. Why do I say this... Honeywell has to pay Microsoft for every Android device they produce. Even better, today Microsoft earns more money with Android than with Windows Mobile/Phone because of the patent wars. What a crazy world we live in!

Apple will lose their marketshare (and exceptional reputation). Too many competitors are coming up in this market. Windows Phone is considered a speciality in the US because the IPhone has become too common. Mozilla, Meego and others will come with their own smartphones in the coming years. They won't be the next big thing (soon), but they will steal marketshare from the other players.

MentalFish
08-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Our mid-sized company dropped Blackberry's in favor of approximately 50 iPhones.

Sounds familiar. At my work we can choose what phone to get, and the rate is about 90% of the over 150 people working here choose iPhone.

shrox
08-03-2012, 03:24 PM
I don't really care for smart phones so far, holding a glass brick against my head rather than an angled or curved piece just is not appealing to me.

Philbert
08-03-2012, 03:57 PM
I believe it's Samsung thst has a curved smartphone.

HenrikSkoglund
08-05-2012, 02:54 AM
Sounds familiar. At my work we can choose what phone to get, and the rate is about 90% of the over 150 people working here choose iPhone.

Same thing here as well...

Well what do you know, the thread turned into a Apple vs android discussion... How unusual ;)

skype6
08-05-2012, 04:46 AM
To return to the topic.. The first thing I did not like about Windows 8 is a "metro look"! You do not have to agree with me, but I think it is nonsense to have two desktops? With smart phones and tablets fine, can somehow pass but for desktop, total nonsense and impractical! I think microsoft did a totally bad move, but well, time will tell.

HenrikSkoglund
08-05-2012, 06:44 AM
To return to the topic.. The first thing I did not like about Windows 8 is a "metro look"! You do not have to agree with me, but I think it is nonsense to have two desktops? With smart phones and tablets fine, can somehow pass but for desktop, total nonsense and impractical! I think microsoft did a totally bad move, but well, time will tell.

I totally agree with you, I quote what they said in another review of Win 8 "I might need a touch operating system, or maybe I need a mouse navigated desktop operating system. But I don't want them at the same time on the same machine. Microsoft, make up your mind!"

geo_n
08-05-2012, 06:50 AM
the only market Apple is going to lose is the Uber-nerd market. The average user doesn't care about hacks. As long as what they need and what entertains them is freely available, so goes the masses.

Probably right. Most android users I've met are more techy and know how to root the phone. I've met only a few who bothered to jailbreak their iphone. I only did mine two years after I got the iphone out of boredom. My android I've yet to root myself.
I also suspect that android has its biggest marketshare among not so rich countries. In my travels I notice that because there are entry level androids and lower price bracket smartphones, its the most common phones bought by people unlike pricey iphones. Really cheap android phones from samsung, lg are too common.

My company bought my iphone for me because they wanted us to learn more about apple applications, etc. I would never have used a smartphone and still prefer fliptop phones. Touchscreen suck bigtime for messaging. Don't really know why people like touchscreens, I don't like fingerprints on any kind of screen. Probably looks cool for these kinds of people to swish at the screen. Lol!

jwiede
08-05-2012, 07:18 AM
Linux 3x just got released this year and 4x doesn't even exist yet, but thanks for ranting.
Actually, he's referring to the version of Linux itself, not distros. Distros version however they want, but the Linux kernel has a baseline version of its own, and until this year, it was in the 2's. 3.4.7 is the latest stable kernel, and 3.6rc1 is the current development kernel. Distros all reference which Linux kernel they're built upon, and the kernel version is the only common reference between them.

Philbert
08-05-2012, 01:21 PM

You know it has one desktop right? It's essentially Windows 7 with an improved Start menu. Really, very little has changed as far as the way you work. I've been running it on my laptop for months now and would be more than happy to install on the rest of my computers

Verlon
08-05-2012, 07:44 PM
I am happy to have abandoned MS last year. I am happy Apple has been gaining market share on them the past several years. Microsoft is far, far from dead.

I don't even want them to go away. Choices are good. Competition is good. There are people who prefer Windows to OSX or Linux. More power to them. I am not one of them. I used Windows for 20 years because it was the only thing that worked for my needs, not because I liked it.

Apple presenting a viable alternative is a wonderful thing, even if you do not like it.

Qexit
08-06-2012, 08:19 AM
I remember when Netscape dominated the browsers arena, and Microsoft came up with Internet Explorer, and most people thought it was a joke. On the other hand and roughly at the same time, OS/2 Warp was hailed as the Best Operating System Ever. We do know what happened then.Internet Explorer was a joke but Microsoft realised that if they gave it away free as part of their operating system most people would use it rather than pay for Netscape, which is essentially what happened. OS/2 Warp was a great operating system. However, Microsoft had put in place contracts with the PC suppliers that meant they paid a license fee to them for every PC they manufactured regardless of which operating system it came installed with. Next to none of the PC manufacturers were ready to pay out twice for an O/S just so they could ship PCs with OS/2, so it died very quickly.

Microsoft had and have some very clever people working for them. Not all of them work on software and hardware :D

coremi
08-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Actually, he's referring to the version of Linux itself, not distros. Distros version however they want, but the Linux kernel has a baseline version of its own, and until this year, it was in the 2's. 3.4.7 is the latest stable kernel, and 3.6rc1 is the current development kernel. Distros all reference which Linux kernel they're built upon, and the kernel version is the only common reference between them.

U can seven version of your OS build on the same cycle of kernel, but the kernel will connect a driver to a device if there is a driver in the first place. I think on any linux kernel any component could work perfectly with a good driver, but Linux being based on unix, was never intended to work on cheap made in china components until much later when it almost became absolete. Apple is going out of PC desktop market, as it did the server market, probably will build only laptops, tablets, phones in the future. About Android and Iphone there almost 300 mil android phones and about 75 milion iPhones out there, that's because of much cheaper android devices and diversity of devices. Android came 2 years later than iPhone.

cagey5
08-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Just to fan the flames of the rumour mill. Seems like dropping 'don't call it Metro', may not be an option..

http://m.engadget.com/2012/08/06/windows-8-may-not-let-you-boot-to-the-desktop/?utm_medium=referral