PDA

View Full Version : Global render- not QT codec choices

dankayaker
07-30-2012, 04:43 PM
I'm rendering a big project and just noticed that all my renders are H264. Clicking the "options" button for QT movie yields nothing . . . where do I choose the codec ?

thanks

nickdigital
07-30-2012, 05:05 PM
There should be a pulldown for 'Compression type'. Rendering to frames is better though. This way you can always pick up and resume a render part way through. Compile the frames into a movie format afterwards.

dankayaker
07-30-2012, 05:17 PM
There should be a pulldown for 'Compression type'. Rendering to frames is better though. This way you can always pick up and resume a render part way through. Compile the frames into a movie format afterwards.

Thanks . . yeah I know I should have been doing frames but it's too late on this one. There is no compression pulldown I can find anywhere.

nickdigital
07-30-2012, 05:34 PM
You don't see this? QT is only available in 32 bit LW so you're also not maximizing rendering speed if you have a 64 bit OS.

dankayaker
07-30-2012, 05:36 PM
You don't see this? QT is only available in 32 bit LW so you're also not maximizing rendering speed if you have a 64 bit OS.

Nope . . when I hit the options button nothing happens. I'm very familiar with other apps that use QT so it seems strange the "options" does not lead me to a menu that gives me all the codecs to choose from.

nickdigital
07-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Can you print screen what you see? Cuz I'm out of ideas.

dankayaker
07-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Can you print screen what you see? Cuz I'm out of ideas.

I'll grab a screen shot later when my workstation is free . . . I'm on the laptop. The screen really reveals nothing . . looks like your screen shot minus the compression window on the right . . it's like the options button does nothing.

thanks for your help

biliousfrog
07-31-2012, 02:08 AM
As Nick says, Quicktime isn't 64bit so, if you're using a 64bit operating system the quicktime output options will not be available.

Output to frames and use QT to compile them into a video file, if you have 'Pro' that is.

Also be aware that QT has trouble with the gamma of many video formats so when you open a video go to Window - Movie properties -video track - visual settings and change 'transparency' to straight alpha, then save the video. It should save with the correct gamma applied then rather than looking washed out.

dsol
07-31-2012, 06:00 AM
Another reason not to render to quicktime - if it crashes during the render you'll likely lose everything and you can't resume from the point of failure.

Basically - NEVER RENDER TO QUICKTIME FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN QUICK ANIMATICS

prometheus
07-31-2012, 09:49 AM
indeed .quictime for previews is good to have, Imagine doing a simple texture effect animation with hypervoxels, using viper to make preview goes fast, and you then just press play, instant preview check and if you have set your codecs to quicktime that will give a smooth preview.

This is how VPR should work if they improve it, a little to much hazzle to set VPR up for previews as it is now.

Besides, if you were to use viper for a preview in 64 bit now, it seems that it can not get the same quality playback since it lacks quicktime.

Michael