PDA

View Full Version : Arnold is so fast!

silviotoledo
07-30-2012, 12:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vitdfmISlyQ

Messiah uses it, Sony uses it ( must be the main spiderman renderer )

A lightwave plugin would be welcome.

geo_n
07-30-2012, 12:58 PM
XSI is so sexy. the mousetrap render looks really cool!

Lewis
07-30-2012, 02:50 PM
Yep LW plugin would be so cool :) ;).

50one
07-30-2012, 03:06 PM
It's sooo fast, such a shame that only few will experience that pure awesomeness lol.

stiff paper
07-30-2012, 03:30 PM

What use would a plugin be for a renderer that nobody can buy?

jasonwestmas
07-30-2012, 03:38 PM
wow, you're just seeing video this now? ok. ;)

juanjgon
07-30-2012, 04:54 PM
Perhaps Arnold for LW is closer than people think ... who knows :)

jasonwestmas
07-30-2012, 05:00 PM
I'd be more interested in a modo, vray or final render implementation. ;) Those I can actually buy today and people I know use them too for team based projects.

lino.grandi
07-30-2012, 05:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vitdfmISlyQ

Messiah uses it, Sony uses it ( must be the main spiderman renderer )

Messiah uses a very old version of it. ;)

AbstractTech3D
07-30-2012, 06:23 PM
Its been talked about forever. But who knows when it might actually become (generally) available.

DigitalSorcery8
07-30-2012, 06:42 PM
You can get Arnold for SI if you buy at least 5 licenses. Though hopefully it will be available for everyone later this year.

jasonwestmas
07-30-2012, 06:44 PM
You can get Arnold for SI if you buy at least 5 licenses. Though hopefully it will be available for everyone later this year.

I think it's more complicated than that. It's more about who you know or don't know.

jeric_synergy
07-30-2012, 08:33 PM
What genius thought that policy up?

DigitalSorcery8
07-30-2012, 08:46 PM
What genius thought that policy up?

According to the info on the CGTalk forums, most freelancers could not afford that many licenses - only small to mid-range studios and above - so it leads to MUCH less customer support for the time being. I guess they want to keep that area down to a minimum until they know that they can handle it. I can certainly understand that - I don't think I'd like to handle tons of newbie Arnold people filling the forums with lots of "How do I do this?" and "How come this doesn't work?" sort of posts. :)

jasonwestmas
07-30-2012, 10:25 PM
speaking of Customer service being flooded, this reminds me of the Zbrush central forums. That place gets flooded with questions every day. Lots of newbie stuff going on over there. So yeah that's a lot to deal with. . .definitely.

Ernest
07-30-2012, 10:32 PM
Arnold is so... expensive!

DigitalSorcery8
07-30-2012, 11:05 PM

I believe that it's comparable to VRay - or very close at least. :boogiedow

geo_n
07-31-2012, 12:00 AM

If its same price as vray its not bad. You will save money with render time, electricity, number of nodes to do job. Finishing a job with speed is so important for the next project piling up. :thumbsup:

Red_Oddity
07-31-2012, 01:11 AM
Don't forget reliability and consistency.
We switched to VRay from Mental Ray because getting MR through the final render stretch was often comparable to playing Russian roulette (maybe if i submit it now it will render right? Or maybe it will blow up again.)

So far using VRay has been like using the LW renderer, what you see is what you get, and it's consistent in output results.

We did inform into Arnold at SolidAngle, but back then there was no Maya translator, so we switched to the next best thing.
Would have loved to have invested in Arnold, as it is a lot more versatile when it comes to render output and shader writing.

I'd also need to add, Chaos support is very good, need a feature? big chance you'll get it later in a nightly build. Something not working or problems with new hardware?, they actively try to help (going as far as buying the same hardware as you)

biliousfrog
07-31-2012, 02:01 AM
As Lino pointed out Messiah is using a very old derivative of Arnold, it's a branch that split from the Arnold tree many years ago. Having said that, it was very fast and very powerful when I last used it (5-6 years ago) so I imagine it's still much more powerful than many think. The GI and SSS were way ahead of Lightwave at the time but the nodal system was confusing for me, although very powerful...I'm sure it would be much easier to grasp now that I've had time to use LW's nodal implementation. It had a layer system like LW too though.

I should install the latest version really, I doubt I'm alone in buying-in to their promo offer and never installing it :D

colkai
07-31-2012, 08:13 AM
As Lino pointed out Messiah is using a very old derivative of Arnold,......

I should install the latest version really, I doubt I'm alone in buying-in to their promo offer and never installing it :D

Ahem, <<embarrassed look>> I resemble that remark. ;)

jasonwestmas
07-31-2012, 09:20 AM
Messiah is super awesome! Do try it.

50one
07-31-2012, 09:36 AM
Ahem, <<embarrassed look>> I resemble that remark. ;)

heh, I went bit further, installed it, but never used...Gonna try to reinstall it, since I've got the new system up & running...:)

cagey5
07-31-2012, 12:42 PM
Well, I installed it at least and even followed one of the tutorials. Was quite a pleasant experience, though as of yet I have had neither the time nor the need to use it in a project of my own.

papou
07-31-2012, 06:07 PM
Perhaps Arnold for LW is closer than people think ... who knows :)

knock knock

Ernest
07-31-2012, 08:37 PM
If its same price as vray its not bad. You will save money with render time, electricity, number of nodes to do job. Finishing a job with speed is so important for the next project piling up. :thumbsup:

If it's the same as VRay, then it's OK. The figure that the boss came back with was more like "the price of VRay for each node!" which put it way out there, with a ZPM reactor and a warp drive, in the realm of fantasy cool things that are way our of our reach. Granted, that was quite a few months ago.