PDA

View Full Version : After Effects - Element 3D

erikals
07-30-2012, 04:55 AM
 
Compositing with Element 3D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysw4nn1JSsA

pretty cool, considering it's just raytracing, no GI...

 

rcallicotte
07-30-2012, 06:52 AM
I agree. This Element 3D plugin looks amazing.

meatycheesyboy
07-30-2012, 08:57 AM

Compositing with Element 3D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysw4nn1JSsA

pretty cool, considering it's just raytracing, no GI...

It's not even raytracing, it's just OpenGL. It looks very cool.

I'd consider it at $100 and would be instantly sold at $75 but $150 feels high to me, especially since I already own the excellent AE Link (I understand it isn't the same).

BigHache
07-30-2012, 10:25 AM
If a project comes up where I can use it, sweet. Looks like it can be handy. I'm finding so far the new 3D features in CS6 to be so slow that they're unusable. VPR seems faster.

If I didn't already have AElink I would be more interested in this.

wesleycorgi
07-31-2012, 07:17 AM
It's not even raytracing, it's just OpenGL. It looks very cool.

I'd consider it at $100 and would be instantly sold at $75 but $150 feels high to me, especially since I already own the excellent AE Link (I understand it isn't the same).

I was checking out their promo vids and was fairly impressed. Then I saw the price tag. It seems fairly reasonable, especially since I use AE plugs that are easily double the price. Much of my AE work is simple 3d stuff, so I would have to see what sorts of render times E3D has and how it handles the kinds of meshes I create. I don't see a downloadable demo though.

OnlineRender
07-31-2012, 07:34 AM
they just upgraded the super sampling

wesleycorgi
07-31-2012, 12:43 PM
Another cool looking OpenGL-based plug, Trapcode Mir: http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/products/all/trapcode-mir/?utm_source=Red+Giant+Software+Email+List&utm_campaign=9a04cbbcac-07_31_2012_Trapcode_Suite_12&utm_medium=email

AbstractTech3D
07-31-2012, 03:35 PM
So, explain to me again why dedicated 3D apps (very much including LW) often / usually make bevelling text into such a nightmare - when it can be done in AE (merely a 2.5D app) apparently without a problem.

(Can Element 3D text be exported as a mesh for LW import somehow?)

I have long found it quite ridiculous that while a significant portion of 3D / CG is motion graphics, and a very large portion of motion graphics involves text, that the text tools we have are truly awful.

Regardless of unification, one area that definitely needs a creation history stack modifier, or nodal construction solution is text creation. Without it - I end up remodelling and painfully bevelling and deforming every new string of text (and I have many strings of text!). I want to do it once only - then replace the string of text and have the bevel + deformations I created automatically update! (And remain tweakable). This should be a tool, or a nodal environment (+ nodes) within Layout - making bevels and deforms animate-able.

AND - it should not make a mess of the bevels!

If NT want the motion graphic market - they really ought to be on top of this.

ivanze
07-31-2012, 03:42 PM
Usually for text bevels I am using now DPkit edge shader. It makes the bevel at render time.

AbstractTech3D
07-31-2012, 03:53 PM
Yes, have tried it. It can work if the text geometry is not too complicated. But it doesn't simultaneously work with smoothed surfaces, and deforming geometry. So if you juliennize your text, create spline deform morphs and twists etc in modeler, surface it with smoothing turned on - DP Kit Edge shader (with smoothing turned on also in the Edge node) can't render the bevels nicely.

DigitalSorcery8
07-31-2012, 04:00 PM
If you have AE and need some basic 3D, then this product really is a no-brainer - well... as long as you've got a project that will pay for it. I'm looking forward to buying it - as soon as I can. :)

rcallicotte
08-05-2012, 08:57 AM
Looky - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUQt7tDnq9k&hd=1

More fun from Andrew. This is one of the innovative awesome plugins I've seen. :thumbsup:

jeric_synergy
08-05-2012, 09:08 AM
I have long found it quite ridiculous that while a significant portion of 3D / CG is motion graphics, and a very large portion of motion graphics involves text, that the text tools we have are truly awful.
Isn't that exactly how C4D is paying its rent?

dwburman
08-10-2012, 08:57 PM
I have a question for those of you who bought Element.

Can it do frosted glass like in this image. The DOF and blurry refractions send the render times way up to smooth out all the noise. Yes, I can do DOF in post, but it takes a bunch of tweaking because of all the overlapping parts.

I know there aren't raytraced reflections in element, but I think I might be able to get by without them for this. I've watched most of the videos on Element, but I don't remember seeing this particular look done.

Thanks.

tyrot
08-11-2012, 04:07 AM
Looky - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUQt7tDnq9k&hd=1

More fun from Andrew. This is one of the innovative awesome plugins I've seen. :thumbsup:

totally agree! it is so cool!

rcallicotte
08-11-2012, 12:16 PM
I didn't buy it, but have watched most of the videos - it looks like the many materials you an use might be able to do some sort of fogged glass. Have you tried asking on the Video CoPilot forums?

I have a question for those of you who bought Element.

Can it do frosted glass like in this image. The DOF and blurry refractions send the render times way up to smooth out all the noise. Yes, I can do DOF in post, but it takes a bunch of tweaking because of all the overlapping parts.

I know there aren't raytraced reflections in element, but I think I might be able to get by without them for this. I've watched most of the videos on Element, but I don't remember seeing this particular look done.

Thanks.

dwburman
08-11-2012, 12:48 PM
I didn't buy it, but have watched most of the videos - it looks like the many materials you an use might be able to do some sort of fogged glass. Have you tried asking on the Video CoPilot forums?

No, but that's a good idea. :)