PDA

View Full Version : Having a really hard time getting smooth bevels on text

AbstractTech3D
07-30-2012, 12:37 AM
Hello

For such a long time I've been really struggling to get nicely smoothed bevels on text.

Text is notoriously difficult to bevel in the first instance. But I've pretty much got that mostly working with Bevel ++.

However, the issue I really wrestle with boils down to the surface smoothing algorithm - and how it handles falling off an area it should be smoothing. Typically this can be overcome with the inset bevel. This sort of thing:

http://www.meshweaver.com/tutorials/What_is_Smoothing.htm

However, although it helps significantly, it hasn't completely solved the issue for me. My tiny 1mm inset bevels still reveal the ugly transition out of the smoothing in places - which resembles a poorly aliased result when rendered (though AA is not the issue here), because the transition occurs across areas of significant luminous contrast. See the attached image.

I've tried every variation I can think of… separating out the bevel from the text face and extrusion, separate surfaces for the bevel and the text face + extrusion, multiple stages in the bevel, etc…

Is there an easier way to do this? Like an alternative shader with another smoothing algorithm, or something else?
Perhaps there is a trick that can be pulled using the smoothed normal from the Spot Info node, somehow?

Thanks in advance, once again!

Dexter2999
07-30-2012, 01:14 AM
can you attach a scene with your model for others to examine?

ShadowMystic
07-30-2012, 01:50 AM
I would say subpatch it .

Jim M
07-30-2012, 02:39 AM
I use MassRound to do most chamfers and fillets these days. There are couple of tricks to it, but it is superior to anything else I've used.

raw-m
07-30-2012, 02:43 AM
Not sure if this will help but a little trick I've used is to massively scale the text up before adding bevels, then scale back down afterwards. Not sure why it should work but it has helped me in the past.

Sensei
07-30-2012, 03:08 AM
Render double/triple size, resize to original, done.

AbstractTech3D
07-30-2012, 04:46 AM
Thanks guys. Good tips.

Rendering at a multiple of the resolution seems to have worked.

erikals
07-30-2012, 05:06 AM
this might very well be bad AA after all, LW AA is not that good on stuff like that...

Waves of light
07-30-2012, 06:52 AM
There was a really great tutorial re. subpatched model for text (correct poly flow, edges, etc) I can't remember if it was on the old lightwiki, but it even showed you where to place cuts correctly. I've googled but can't find it. Wonder if OnlineRender has it on the new wiki?

raw-m
07-30-2012, 07:01 AM
There was a really great tutorial re. subpatched model for text (correct poly flow, edges, etc) I can't remember if it was on the old lightwiki, but it even showed you where to place cuts correctly. I've googled but can't find it. Wonder if OnlineRender has it on the new wiki?

That sounds interesting, please post when you find! I think all text based stuff for me will now be done in Video CoPilot's Element 3d, life is just too short, sometimes!

JoePoe
07-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Maybe I'm dating myself with rendering terminology (I'm still in 9.6), but adaptive sampling should get rid of that toot-sweet! Even at the default .1 setting. :thumbsup:

Waves of light
08-14-2012, 09:06 AM
That sounds interesting, please post when you find! I think all text based stuff for me will now be done in Video CoPilot's Element 3d, life is just too short, sometimes!

Found it...
http://lightwiki.net/wiki/Fundamentals_of_Subpatch_Modeling_Part_Two

Part one is worth a read too.

AbstractTech3D
08-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Found it...
http://lightwiki.net/wiki/Fundamentals_of_Subpatch_Modeling_Part_Two

Part one is worth a read too.

Really good stuff! Thanks!