PDA

View Full Version : Undocumented or under-documented tools and tricks...

dblincoe
07-29-2012, 08:40 AM
In LW there are a lot of little things like that are not really documented well and would save time. For instance, last night I found out if you undock your preview window you can set it to the exact size of your camera (or any specific size for that matter). That gave me a preview that was the exact size of my final render so I can start AfterFx on an animatic that is pretty clear and the right res.

In the display options in layout click undock preview window and then you can specify an image dimension or choose to have it match your camera's dimension.

How about for now, in this thread, everyone start sharing things that they find speed up their workflow or make life easier for them. I realize that this may be repeat of other threads, but sometimes it makes sense to have fresh discussions and have them all in a concise place.

prometheus
07-29-2012, 08:43 AM
sorry...cross post, but valid in both threads..I guess.

This is why Newtek should be sitting overtime with the help system, and have it fully working when going to help contents, we only need one help system as of today, since the offline is off, and that isnīt even connected/directed to proper folder or recognition, and once it is directed correctly it will be Lightwave 10 help files and not 11.

I have been mentioning several times how to set undocking of preview window for creating custom camera of VPR, and also saving out image sequences.
however as mentioned above, you didnīt realize it was there and thatīs why the help files are so important.

Service pack for help files perhaps?

prometheus
07-29-2012, 08:49 AM
Did you know, go to the Edit menu tab, search for "fillsolid"

Add that to a button in a menu for creating points, or
go to edit shortcuts and search for "fillsolid" map it to a shortcut button of your liking, (mine is x)

create some spheres, or sculpt geometry and use you shortcut keys and fill the spheres with point clusters.

useful for creating cloud point clusters

The fill solid tool is quite a hidden LW11 tool, not many are aware of.

Michael

zapper1998
07-29-2012, 09:55 AM
wow
really
learn something new every day

TK
:)

Ryan Roye
07-29-2012, 10:22 AM
IKBooster in its entirety falls under this category, heh.

Anyways, anyone know what holding control and dragging on the timeline does? It highlights everything in a weird greenish-blue color, but its only function that I can determine is to de-select all keyframes (it looks like it was designed to de-select a specific range of keyframes, but it doesn't work this way). That's in 9.6, by the way.

SplineGod
07-29-2012, 11:01 AM
Lets say you have 2000 frames of animation and alot of keyframes in some areas. You want to zoom in somewhat to a range of frames to make it easier to see and edit them.
Set the range you want like start the timeline at frame 100 and the last frame at 200.If you use the alt LMB on the timeline you can slide it forward and backward thru your animation keys but always keeping that 100 frame range.

Ryan Roye
07-29-2012, 11:26 AM
In layout...

Hold ctrl+shift and click the left or right mouse button. These actions give you nifty little customizable menus...

You can change what appears in this menu via the "Edit menu layout" options. Here, you can scroll down to the "Left/Right Mouse Button Menu" and plug in whatever you want. Want all of your favorite scripts/plugins/functions to appear in a selectable menu when you hold ctrl+shift and hit RMB? No problemo dude!

I use this function for some of my proprietary scripts used in my webseries. IMO, the default functions are pretty useless, so replace those suckers with something handy.

Julez4001
07-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Yeah I accidently discovered the undock and vpr quick animatic technique by accident a few months ago. Very sweet.

OLDIE but Goodie

Modeler
Would like to smooth your model out but retain its overall volume.
Great for chaarcter modeling.
Open Options
Set division level to 1 and then exit, Freeze your object
You point and polygon size/order does not change but now unmetanurb object looks more like it did when it was metanurbed. It has smoothed out all over and ypou can go back anh set your back to what it was (ususally 3) - hit TAB and continue modeling on your nice and smooth object.

jeric_synergy
07-29-2012, 01:09 PM
In LW there are a lot of little things like that are not really documented well and would save time. For instance, last night I found out if you undock your preview window you can set it to the exact size of your camera (or any specific size for that matter). That gave me a preview that was the exact size of my final render so I can start AfterFx on an animatic that is pretty clear and the right res.
See, this is the perfect example for the drum I've been pounding in NewTek's ear for seven years.

Even if the official documentation accurately pointed out at a technical level all the features in a given, errrr, feature, users will come up with uses not predicted or anticipated by the developers and the doc writers, uses the user community will be very glad to know of.

The dox can never truly be totally finished, and certainly not on a tight timeline between the finishing of the code and the shipping of the product.

So, why not let users contribute additions, corrections, and tips to the official dox, and let them be updated monthly? A centralized place where users will always be able to find "best practices" without searching fruitlessly across the entire internet? A place where tags actually get applied in a consistent manner (I'm lookin' at you, lwdbplugin.com) ?

Lewis
07-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Did you know that we have two different PASTE tools in LWModeler ?

One is regular paste for pasting what you got with copy and other is paste with interactive positioning (you can paste it to new location by clicking on it). Down thing is that they both are named SAME (just paste) in search menus so you need to try which one is which manually :).

prometheus
07-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Did you know that we have two different PASTE tools in LWModeler ?

One is regular paste for pasting what you got with copy and other is paste with interactive positioning (you can paste it to new location by clicking on it). Down thing is that they both are named SAME (just paste) in search menus so you need to try which one is which manually :).

I donīt think that is correct, in Edit, they are called paste, and the other paste tool, same is when you search for them in edit menut, paste, and paste tool, and the paste tool is interactive.

Michael

ShadowMystic
07-29-2012, 03:28 PM
IKBooster in its entirety falls under this category, heh. I KNEW you or Larry would say this! :P

Lets say you have 2000 frames of animation and alot of keyframes in some areas. You want to zoom in somewhat to a range of frames to make it easier to see and edit them.
Set the range you want like start the timeline at frame 100 and the last frame at 200.If you use the alt LMB on the timeline you can slide it forward and backward thru your animation keys but always keeping that 100 frame range. I discovered this by accident.

Lewis
07-30-2012, 01:08 AM
I donīt think that is correct, in Edit, they are called paste, and the other paste tool, same is when you search for them in edit menut, paste, and paste tool, and the paste tool is interactive.

Michael

Try to DRAG it into interface menus (both) and then let me know what it says on name and you'll see "paste" and "paste" no tool ;) ;).

EDIT: Check the video

prometheus
07-30-2012, 04:23 AM
Try to DRAG it into interface menus (both) and then let me know what it says on name and you'll see "paste" and "paste" no tool ;) ;).

EDIT: Check the video

Yes indeed I see what you mean, that can be confusing if you do not know about it when youre trying to sort it, should be easy to fix if newtek is aware of it, and finds it worthwile to change.

Michael

BigHache
07-30-2012, 07:28 AM
In layout...

Hold ctrl+shift and click the left or right mouse button. These actions give you nifty little customizable menus...

One of the most handy I've used this for is adding the Bridge command under left mouse then deselect all for the right mouse. Cut my modeling time in half for those types of applications.

jeric_synergy
07-30-2012, 07:32 AM
......should be easy to fix if newtek is aware of it, and finds it worthwile to change.
Michael
It's that second bit that's always the sticker, ain't it? They've had years.

A more general problem that this illustrates is when the button name and the tool name don't match.

dblincoe
07-30-2012, 08:10 AM
:thumbsup: Great tips guys! Keep them coming. Let's make this the most useful thread in the forum! :D

Ryan Roye
08-04-2012, 03:05 PM
If you hold shift while clicking on "K" in morph mixer, you can keyframe every single item with 1 click.

BeeVee
08-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Right clicking on a color swatch copies the colour under it, Ctrl-right clicking on another pastes the colour there.

B

jeric_synergy
08-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Right clicking on a color swatch copies the colour under it, Ctrl-right clicking on another pastes the colour there.
B
AARRGHGHGHGHGHGHGGGHHHH!!!!! :thumbsup:

Waves of light
08-06-2012, 02:28 AM
Here's one I found recently, 'Select Path'. It allows you to select two separate edges (or points or polys) along an adjoining line and then have the edges (points/polys) selected between them (connected).

It's hidden in the original modeling_pack.p, so you have to edit menus, search for 'select path' and assign as you wish.

Thanks goes to evenflcw for that one.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=105610&d=1342613874

dee
08-06-2012, 02:44 AM
Here's one I found recently, 'Select Path'. It allows you to select two separate edges (or points or polys) along an adjoining line and then have the edges (points/polys) selected between them (connected).

It's hidden in the original modeling_pack.p, so you have to edit menus, search for 'select path' and assign as you wish.

No need to edit menus, by default it's in Selection/Speciality.

Waves of light
08-06-2012, 03:16 AM
No need to edit menus, by default it's in Selection/Speciality.

That's strange. I looked everywhere on the standard menus and couldn't find it. I obviously didn't look hard enough :D

erikals
08-06-2012, 07:05 AM
video :]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CQ05scBw1M

Waves of light
08-06-2012, 07:37 AM
video :]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CQ05scBw1M

Sweet :thumbsup:

When searching for the command to accomplish my task, I never thought to use the word 'path'. I did select 'connected' (already used) select 'between'.... maybe I'm getting old.

jeric_synergy
08-06-2012, 08:01 AM
Sweet :thumbsup:

When searching for the command to accomplish my task, I never thought to use the word 'path'. I did select 'connected' (already used) select 'between'.... maybe I'm getting old.
An ever-expanding "Did you know?" file would be good. I like the ones that come with some software, but since I've yet to see one that gets periodically updated, eventually I turn them off.

If new tips could be submitted and downloaded to "Did you know?" files, that would be an ever-evolving educational feature.

But nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.............. :grumpy:

erikals
08-06-2012, 08:20 AM
maybe I'm getting old.

we ain't got time to get old, we are 3D artists!... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/caffeine.gif

http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/arteest.gif

Waves of light
08-06-2012, 08:28 AM
An ever-expanding "Did you know?" file would be good. I like the ones that come with some software, but since I've yet to see one that gets periodically updated, eventually I turn them off.

If new tips could be submitted and downloaded to "Did you know?" files, that would be an ever-evolving educational feature.

But nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.............. :grumpy:

I could see that being a pain if the devs had to recompile the LW build to include it with each update. Maybe include it with the user account section, alongside registered products?

we ain't got time to get old, we are 3D artists!... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/caffeine.gif

http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/arteest.gif

Lol. I'm starting to get my 'Clooney' on (grey hairs)... I don't know whether to blame that on the kids, or all the difference bits of software you have to keep learning/keep up-to-date with over the years.

jeric_synergy
08-06-2012, 09:20 AM
I could see that being a pain if the devs had to recompile the LW build to include it with each update. Maybe include it with the user account section, alongside registered products?
For god's sake, it can be a text file. Geeze.

dblincoe
08-06-2012, 09:39 AM
For god's sake, it can be a text file. Geeze.

or this forum!:D

jeric_synergy
08-06-2012, 11:30 AM
This forum won't show up every time you launch LW. Thank buddha.

dblincoe
08-06-2012, 11:34 AM
This forum won't show up every time you launch LW. Thank buddha.

+1 Although, lately I have had them both open together a lot.

Danner
08-06-2012, 11:49 AM
It's not Undcumented but from what I've seen custom shortcuts are under used.

The default LW keyboard configuration has the Alt combinations pretty much clean. So a lot of my custom shortcuts are using Alt, it's easy to remember.

I did change a few default ones to make things faster, got rid of the ones I don't use and replaced those keys with more common operations. I have every key in reach of the left hand bound to something, including alt and ctrl combos. I try to use shortcuts that won't require me to look at the keyboard at all, that is why I try to stay within reach of the left hand.

The custom binds I use the most are:

Select entire surface
Select connected
Deselect all
Dissolve
Hide selected
Hide Unselected
Unhide all
Swap front and back layer
ef Pick Surface (plugin) Opens surface editor and finds what surface your selected polygon is using.
ef Duplicate (plugin) copies your selected geometry, pastes it, then selects it.
Merge trigon X (plugin) Makes quads from triangles, (it doesn't always work but useful when it does).
Layer prev (plugin) swich to the previous layer
Layer Next (plugin) "------------Next----"

LF Q_Axis align (plugin) lines up selected points
PX SP_Move (plugin) Move with align and snap. This is my new favorite toy

dblincoe
08-07-2012, 03:27 PM
New one I found today. First time I've seen it.

Open keyframe editing on the timeline. If you hold option and click and drag you can drag a zone on the timeline. If you right click in the zone you can bake the keyframes with options.

Sorry I don't know the keystroke for PC.

Vong
08-08-2012, 02:24 AM
In layout...

There's also the CTRL+SHIFT and the MIDDLE MOUSE BUTTON. Not sure if this is one is customizable (I'm sure it is), but it's there.

Oh, and these work in both Modeler and Layout.

:thumbsup:

Vong
08-08-2012, 02:31 AM
New one I found today. First time I've seen it.

Open keyframe editing on the timeline. If you hold option and click and drag you can drag a zone on the timeline. If you right click in the zone you can bake the keyframes with options.

Sorry I don't know the keystroke for PC.

Keystroke for the PC is ALT. :thumbsup:

BeeVee
08-08-2012, 04:17 AM
There's also the CTRL+SHIFT and the MIDDLE MOUSE BUTTON. Not sure if this is one is customizable (I'm sure it is), but it's there.

Oh, and these work in both Modeler and Layout.

:thumbsup:

They are editable in the Edit Menus window (alt-F10).

B

dblincoe
08-08-2012, 09:35 AM
This is one I just learned from Lewis: You can change the color of background wire frame in the interface editor see attached images.

Thanks Lewis!

prometheus
08-08-2012, 10:13 AM
we do not have online web help files anymore, remove that button from the Lightwave menu since it has no funcion anymore and confuses people.

Instead,add Tips and tricks and point it to an online site.
Is that simple or is that hard?

Michael

dblincoe
08-08-2012, 10:23 AM
we do not have online web help files anymore, remove that button from the lightwave menu since it has no funcion anymore and confuses people.

Instead,add tips and tricks and point it to an online site.
Is that simple or is that hard?

Michael

+1

jeric_synergy
08-08-2012, 11:35 AM
This is one I just learned from Lewis: You can change the color of background wire frame in the interface editor see attached images.

Thanks Lewis!
Thanks dlblincoe, and Lewis.

Well, that's not half buried, innit? :cursin: And since it requires a relaunch to actually take effect, easy to miss.

I suggest NewTek unbury this dialog (i.e. put it at the same level as the LWM "Display/Layout" tab), AND add a warning after you hit OK that it'll only take effect after relaunch.

AND, I note that "customize interface" entered into the Search function fo the LWM10 PDF manual garners ZERO hits. @^@

EDIT: additionally, it would be nice if it didn't need to be relaunched to take effect (wthiuwt?). IOW, if it took effect immediately.

BeeVee
08-08-2012, 03:04 PM
AND, I note that "customize interface" entered into the Search function fo the LWM10 PDF manual garners ZERO hits. @^@

It wouldn't be in the 10 manuals because it was new to 11. The move from the Hub is detailed on page 146 of the current version of the addendum.

B

jeric_synergy
08-08-2012, 03:23 PM
It wouldn't be in the 10 manuals because it was new to 11. The move from the Hub is detailed on page 146 of the current version of the addendum.
B
Excellent. Looking forward to when everything is in one set of PDFs.

Glad to know I haven't been missing this for decades.

daforum
08-10-2012, 12:43 PM

B

On a Mac it's:
apple/ option to copy colour
ctrl+apple/option to paste colour

...such a good trick :)

jeric_synergy
08-10-2012, 01:27 PM
On a Mac it's:
apple/ option to copy colour
ctrl+apple/option to paste colour

...such a good trick :)
Over the years I've probably wasted HOURS of time typing in RGB values to match..... grrrr...... :D

jeric_synergy
08-22-2012, 01:02 PM
RIGHT clicking on a Gradient Key's little box on the left side locks that key in place.

ShadowMystic
08-22-2012, 11:39 PM
Right clicking RGB values brings up HSV numbers. Is that well-known?

Ryan Roye
08-22-2012, 11:40 PM
Right clicking RGB values brings up HSV numbers. Is that well-known?

I found this one by accident... but I thought it was middle click that does it. Apparently either/or works.

ShadowMystic
08-22-2012, 11:55 PM
I found this one by accident... but I thought it was middle click that does it. Apparently either/or works.

2 favorite moments while doing 3D.
1) Accomplishing something you've been working towards all day,week,or month.
2) Accidently finding something useful/helpful/interesting by misclicking or some other means.

Dodgy
08-23-2012, 12:11 AM
Alt-LMB drag in the perspective window in modeler changes rotation depending on where you first click. Click near the middle of the window and you get the usual turn table rotation around the object, but click and drag at the edge or corner of the window and the view banks around the centre instead. There used to be a dotted circle indicating the two areas, but that's disappeared.

jeric_synergy
08-23-2012, 12:20 AM
Maybe it's a BAD thing that we come across these by accident: must we rely on accident to learn how to run our tools???

Waves of light
08-23-2012, 12:44 AM
How would you guys and girls feel about having these incorporated into the splash screen when LW loads... similar to 'tip of the day' or 'did you know'?

erikals
08-23-2012, 12:52 AM
sometimes i just need to rely on a mistake to get it right ;]
but usually it's just me not remembering what the manual said...

btw, another trick is to spin the object...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERFaqpN8z9w#t=0m45s

Sensei
08-23-2012, 01:18 AM
Undocumented or under-documented tools and tricks...

Sorry.. I have no idea what is documented and what not.. because never read LW docs... :)

Only reading LWSDK..

ShadowMystic
08-23-2012, 01:54 AM
How would you guys and girls feel about having these incorporated into the splash screen when LW loads... similar to 'tip of the day' or 'did you know'?

Not really for it. I disabled that fea Mayture in AE shortly after getting it after 100 tips I knew. Maybe I missed some gems. Maybe.

Oedo 808
08-23-2012, 04:29 AM
Alt-LMB drag in the perspective window in modeler changes rotation depending on where you first click. Click near the middle of the window and you get the usual turn table rotation around the object, but click and drag at the edge or corner of the window and the view banks around the centre instead. There used to be a dotted circle indicating the two areas, but that's disappeared.

This is a 'feature' that took me a while to understand, I don't know about you but even though I'm well used to and acquainted with it, it still drives me nuts. At times when you cross the boundary it's like watching someone navigate while having a seizure. If I need perfect banking I can right-click the icon.

Not really for it. I disabled that fea Mayture in AE shortly after getting it after 100 tips I knew. Maybe I missed some gems. Maybe.

It's a good suggestion but the mentioned potential for annoyance is there. There should be a 'Do not show this tip again' option so you can avoid getting bombarded with 'tips' you are not likely to forget.

Ztreem
08-23-2012, 06:58 AM
Over the years I've probably wasted HOURS of time typing in RGB values to match..... grrrr...... :D

You could also use the store function in the colorpicker. :thumbsup:

Oedo 808
08-23-2012, 08:10 AM
I don't know what is documented and what isn't because I've never read the docs, perhaps one of these days I should. Some might want to use G-Toggle Subpatch instead of Toggle Faces / Subpatches, this way you don't have to drop selections to patch your object. I always found it frustrating that the 'No polygons selected for operation' when you had a point selection didn't follow the mantra of 'when nothing is selected, everything is selected'. Still, there are times when I want just a specific selection subpatched so I still have the the latter hot-keyed. Oh I should add that it won't warn of ngons. Oh yeah, another caveat is that if you have a large number of points/polygons selected, it will slow things down whatever way it works. I'm sure I tried out a plug-in to do this, but iirc it gave some funky behaviour so I dropped it. Roll on Modeler enhancements, that's my motto!

*edit*
Oh cool, getting confused after using Modeler I just discovered that I can use ctrl+alt in my browser (Opera) to grab the page with my pen. Ha.

jeric_synergy
08-23-2012, 08:31 AM
As I've said before, the secret to making that feature ACTUALLY useful is to let users submit MORE tips, just as we're doing, so it's not the same one hundred: it's the a constantly evolving 478.

Monthly new tip files, vetted by NewTek or LightWIKI (for which LightWIKI would get compensated).

daforum
08-24-2012, 12:07 PM
RIGHT clicking on a Gradient Key's little box on the left side locks that key in place.

That's new to me, never knew that one. Thanks jeric :thumbsup:

jeric_synergy
08-24-2012, 12:34 PM
It's a good suggestion but the mentioned potential for annoyance is there. There should be a 'Do not show this tip again' option so you can avoid getting bombarded with 'tips' you are not likely to forget.
ooo, that's a good one. :thumbsup: Then the user can decide if/when they've internalized a tip completely. Nice.

Between that and LW periodically dl'ing new "Tip Lists", that would be an excellent feature.

In accordance with Baker's Dilemma, other features:

RESET : un-check all checked (ie ignored) tips {a button}
SHOW ALL: show tips even if their ignore flag is on {this is a checkbox}
FORCED DOWNLOAD: force LW to check for a new tip list, even if it's not time yet. {a button}

probiner
08-24-2012, 02:39 PM
What we can do:
- Use LW Wiki (http://lightwiki.net/wiki/Main_Page), where ppl going through hoops can trail tips for others to have a smoother experience.
- Watch and re-watch those tutorials that are dropped for us (many for free).
- Make our own videos or whatever when we find something and stop throwing mud ;)

What NT can do:
- Have LW to have the ability to call a tooltip on a specific element, a button, a viewport, a area, etc (viewports poping up all over by default can be a nag) and drive you to something like the a resumed help like tooltips, or go to the documentation. A plus would be to have the community to also be able to add or update on top of that.

Cheers

Ryan Roye
08-25-2012, 10:23 AM
more of a trick:

Need stuff out of your way for rigging but don't want to chop up your object into different layers? Make a morph called "Preview" and move the unwanted parts of the object diagonally away from the pivot point. You can then use this morph via morph mixer as needed, and it can be deleted without consequence.

This is handy for things like eyes where you really need the center of the eyeball to rotate on a center pivot but can't see the center of the eyeball mesh because of all the other geometry in the way. There may be other methods of doing this, but this is what I use currently.

tburbage
08-25-2012, 01:51 PM
In layout...

You can change what appears in this menu via the "Edit menu layout" options. Here, you can scroll down to the "Left/Right Mouse Button Menu" and plug in whatever you want. Want all of your favorite scripts/plugins/functions to appear in a selectable menu when you hold ctrl+shift and hit RMB? No problemo dude!

I use this function for some of my proprietary scripts used in my webseries. IMO, the default functions are pretty useless, so replace those suckers with something handy.

I don't know how undocumented they are, but agree that they let you really improve your workflow in a very personally customized way. In Modeler, I use the LMB menu for only items I use very frequently but which don't have an easy key assignment, the RMB menu for a categorized set of the other tools/commands I use, and MMB for file-related (content dir, import/export, etc.).

Ryan Roye
08-25-2012, 02:01 PM
In Modeler, I use the LMB menu for only items I use very frequently but which don't have an easy key assignment, the RMB menu for a categorized set of the other tools/commands I use, and MMB for file-related (content dir, import/export, etc.).

Yeah... the sad thing is that it is something I discovered only recently... its one of those smack-head moments.

"Why the hell didn't I find this earlier!?"

In modeler, all I use the RMB menu for currently is for "Apply Morph", because when I'm making morphs I find myself using that command constantly, especially when I'm using previously constructed morphs as templates for other morphs.

In layout, my RMB menu looks like this:

http://www.delura.tanadrine.com/image_manualupload/LWL_RMBmenu.jpg

... yeah, I really like EF's null as child script; I use it everywhere, so its at the top :). Also, I found it annoying to have to open up the scene editor every time I wanted to modify an object's view settings, so I put them in there to save myself the hassle. Same with item locking. I'm still browsing all the different commands that I think would be useful here... definitely need to expand my modeler RMB commands.

tburbage
08-25-2012, 03:29 PM

That's among a number of really useful edge commands written by James Wilmott which I obtained from Liberty3d, but have since been incorporated into LWM (and not available from Liberty3D I should add). The others in that EdgePack I've found most useful are SelectRing, SelEdgeBorder, and SelOpenEdges. They fill some critical missing edge functionality.

Proton talks about them here...
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/Edgepack.mov

tburbage
08-25-2012, 06:15 PM

Thanks Lewis!
For people using LW 10, that panel can be gotten to via the Hub: Properties > Customize Color. There are 3 tabs there for colors: General, Channels, and Additional.

Dodgy
08-25-2012, 07:45 PM
One thing I use a lot:

If you want coincident points to always remain separate, even if you do a merge, make a morph with them in separate places. This means they can only be merged by a weld operation, not by things like mirroring, or as mentioned before, merge. This is great for defining sharp edges on objects.

jeric_synergy
08-25-2012, 07:56 PM
One thing I use a lot:

If you want coincident points to always remain separate, even if you do a merge, make a morph with them in separate places. This means they can only be merged by a weld operation, not by things like mirroring, or as mentioned before, merge. This is great for defining sharp edges on objects.
::sigh:: that would have been nice to know, years ago.

It'd be good if that were included in the documentation of Merge-- it may be but I don't have access right now.

tburbage
08-26-2012, 01:07 PM
For people who need to model to scale against orthographic scale drawings, for example a mechanical model such as a vehicle, you can use the Automatic Size function of viewport Backdrops (Display Options > Backdrop (Viewport) > Automatic Size) in conjunction with correctly sized geometry (essentially, image planes) to get your backdrop model views correctly sized to scale, and positioned/aligned as you need them to be. This technique takes some explanation, so I will post something to the Tips/Techniques thread with details. Trying to get the backdrops aligned and sized correctly using the Backdrop controls is difficult and requires lots of tweaking.

jeric_synergy
08-26-2012, 04:46 PM
This technique takes some explanation, so I will post something to the Tips/Techniques thread with details. Trying to get the backdrops aligned and sized correctly using the Backdrop controls is difficult and requires lots of tweaking.
I'm sure the upcoming post will detail this much better, but short version:

Make a plane w/dimensions that relate to your image's pixels, like "1 pixel=1 mm".
Load your image.
Use "Automatic Size" in the Background tab of the Display panel.
Model.

That's one way. Then you can scale your mesh up to match the RW object.