PDA

View Full Version : Man Of Steel

prometheus
07-29-2012, 08:15 AM
Well soon It will be in the Air:)

Your thoughts about the Actor, The plot,Music, villains, visual effects,
and of course the blue,red,yellow tights please:) and more.

Lets hear your comments about the modern Messiah myth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly--gT1RJdk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QnLuA2MiEs&feature=related

Michael

Titus
07-29-2012, 09:11 AM
t looks like a less naive superman movie.

Dexter2999
07-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Feels like a "miss" to me.

The costume is darker. The film style is darker. The music is darker.

Superman isn't a "dark" hero. This looks like the director trying to re-invent the hero to fit audiences because today's society is too cynical to appreciate what Superman is about. Today, kids lose their innocence too soon. They grow up emulating gangster rap artists, playing GTA and FPS games, learning to act tough and disrespect their elders.

DC began losing ground decades ago to the more flawed, darker heroes Marvel was putting out.

I doubt this reinvention will work.

By the way, even the imagery in the trailer is disjointed. It opens to a fishing village with a crab trawler. WTF does that have to do with Superman? Then it cuts to a child running with a cape into a man hitchhiking with no imagery to connect the two. So, that part assumes the viewer knows the Superman mythos to make the connection but it throws in unrelated footage that has nothing to do with the legend.

Miss. Sorry.

50one
07-29-2012, 03:09 PM
How can you judge it by the trailer that shows...well nothing imo.
Anyway, i don't like it, the "look" is certainly uptodate, but never been a fan of all those superheroes type movies(with one exception maybe), can't wait for this era to end, it's been long 10 years or more since the whole craze started:)

silviotoledo
07-29-2012, 04:09 PM
oh my god! Clark caught not wearing glass! Now everybody will know he's Superman!

erikals
07-29-2012, 04:10 PM
um, like others said, it doesn't look that "super"

a dark superman movie?... for batman, sure, but for Superman...?

then again, who knows...

prometheus
07-30-2012, 03:56 AM
We honestly do not have a full trailer but only short teaser so hard to tell up to this date.

Interesting that they seem to have dropped the iconic john williams theme, and instead Hans zimmer is doing the score, the little I heard sounded interesting, but that isnīt the main theme.

I loved the john williams score and got the whole soundtrack on vinyl when it arrived and listened to it over and over again, especially the soft parts are so beautiful.
However ..I really think a new score is needed so we do not get tired of that old one, so interesting to see if he can come close, it will be tough thou.

I remember that I didnīt like brandon routh in the beginning and thought he looked to Latino, but after a while I really think his face fitted in with superman.
Now I think that cavill doesnīt have the same fitting superman face at all, as reeves or
routh has, but who knows, he might fit that too once he is up and flying.

Edit..The voice, Actually Brandon Rouths voice had a deeper vocal that I thought fitted better than Christopher Reeves, not to forget.

I hope they can put some more spectacular effects or scenes in this one, I think they was holding that to the side in superman returns and was trying to focus on the story, and that is exactly what you should do perhaps to get interesting movies, but then again ..this isnīt ordinary drama that holds up to well with a love story or such, these Dc or marvel comics movies needs action and effects well executed and a lot of them.

Michael

littlewaves
07-30-2012, 04:28 AM
How can you judge it by the trailer that shows...well nothing imo.
Anyway, i don't like it, the "look" is certainly uptodate, but never been a fan of all those superheroes type movies(with one exception maybe), can't wait for this era to end, it's been long 10 years or more since the whole craze started:)

so what's the exception you like then?

just curious

Waves of light
07-30-2012, 04:40 AM
I actually really liked the last one. It stayed true to the character, the lead actor looked like Clark/Superman from my childhood days (Mr Reeves). I just think another reboot, with a darker Superman won't work... but it's Mr Nolan, so who knows. Don't like the look of the suit in the second link, makes him look like a Knight of Realm. And yes, the trailer is useless.

safetyman
07-30-2012, 06:02 AM
Useless trailer, fail. Nolan good. Darker supes, fail. Trite red & blue suit with cape, fail. Trying to re-invent supes (again), fail. Zack Snyder directing = I'll see it for that reason alone.

50one
07-30-2012, 06:26 AM
so what's the exception you like then?

just curious

I eally liked the dark knight, the one with heath ledger, his role was brilliant, i think on the same level as jac nicholson in the old one, but rest of the genre, well i try to watch it, purely because of the visual effects...

littlewaves
07-30-2012, 06:52 AM
I eally liked the dark knight, the one with heath ledger, his role was brilliant, i think on the same level as jac nicholson in the old one, but rest of the genre, well i try to watch it, purely because of the visual effects...

fair enough.

I often think the second film in any Superhero series tends to be the best as they don't have to get bogged down in the origins which is where hollywood always feels they have to try and rationalise the concept of a superhero as if a man in tights and a cape fighting crime can be rationalised

In the sequel they can just get on with it.

I think that's why I love Superman Returns so much. They just take the Christopher Reeve version that's already established and give it a great story. IMHO a very subtle and beautiful take on the genre. Shame hollywood thought otherwise but on the other hand I'm not sure where they could have taken a further sequel without a reboot.

Who knows though. Maybe Man of Steel will surprise me but I don't think I need "gritty" Superman.

Perhaps this will be a new Superman for the new generation but for me I'm afraid Superman just ain't Superman without THAT music. I guess that's more about my age though!

Waves of light
07-30-2012, 06:56 AM
I think that's why I love Superman Returns so much. They just take the Christopher Reeve version that's already established and give it a great story. IMHO a very subtle and beautiful take on the genre. Shame hollywood thought otherwise but on the other hand I'm not sure where they could have taken a further sequel without a reboot.

Could not agree more.

Perhaps this will be a new Superman for the new generation but for me I'm afraid Superman just ain't Superman without THAT music. I guess that's more about my age though!

Which is why, when I first saw Superman Returns, I knew it was going to be good the moment I heard the music and saw the animated 3D flying text as per the original.

Shabazzy
07-30-2012, 07:03 AM
Hmm. I'd like to see a Superman film that appeals to an adult intellect. I think Nolan's work on Batman really brought a new breath of life to the genre and really appealed to an adult audience. Now that I'm older I feel I require a more mature portrayal of these superheroes.

I've never really been a Superman fan, simply because I was always into Spiderman (as a kid), and as I got older, I out grew the whole super hero thing. But since Hollywood seems intent on bringing these characters to the screens I think, as an adult, I'd like to see these movies reflect a more realistic and contemporary portrayal of the times and include enemies that are more of a challenge than the "I'm the hero so all I need to do is hit you really hard and then I win" approach.

Superman needs an enemy who is as much of a threat to him as The Joker is to Batman. Someone who doesn't seem to have any predictable reason to undertake the chaos he or she inflicts and so can't be easily circumvented. I'd like to see an enemy that although inferior to Superman physically, is more than a match for him mentally.

I think this approach to the production of a superhero movie will keep the audience on the edge of their seat simply because you don't know what he or she'll do next, but you know that whatever it is, it'll be really out there.

Basically a film that'll make me think.

Dexter2999
07-30-2012, 10:34 AM
The dark coloring of the suit reminds me of the "evil" Superman in the SUPERMAN III.
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17niyv4gprihkjpg/original.jpg

Waves of light
07-30-2012, 10:50 AM
@dexter2999: Oh, man. That brings back memories. I love that by giving him a dirty suit, making him unshaven and putting his hair all out of place, he was apparently 'evil' superman. So temped to do a Clark v Evil Superman battle pose.

safetyman
07-31-2012, 05:24 AM
Superman needs an enemy who is as much of a threat to him as The Joker is to Batman. Someone who doesn't seem to have any predictable reason to undertake the chaos he or she inflicts and so can't be easily circumvented. I'd like to see an enemy that although inferior to Superman physically, is more than a match for him mentally.

I think this approach to the production of a superhero movie will keep the audience on the edge of their seat simply because you don't know what he or she'll do next, but you know that whatever it is, it'll be really out there.

Basically a film that'll make me think.

Oh, you're talking about Megamind! Or Mr. Mxzlplxzt (or however you spell it). I hope the new film has Bizarro Superman in it. One liners galore!!

djwaterman
07-31-2012, 05:46 AM
It seemed from watching the Comic Con interview that the villain may be Zod.

Waves of light
07-31-2012, 06:06 AM
It seemed from watching the Comic Con interview that the villain may be Zod.

See, now that could be interesting.

Shabazzy
07-31-2012, 08:51 AM
Oh, you're talking about Megamind! Or Mr. Mxzlplxzt (or however you spell it).

Being the illiterate that I am on the Superman universe, I'll bow to your expertise on that and take it as given.

RebelHill
07-31-2012, 09:17 AM
..the Actor..

Henry Cavill... local boy. Good on him.

safetyman
08-01-2012, 05:15 AM
Being the illiterate that I am on the Superman universe, I'll bow to your expertise on that and take it as given.

I'm actually not that knowledgeable on the DC universe (it was always more comic-booky than Marvel), but Mr. Mxzlplxtz (spelling? anyone?) was a little magical imp that annoyed Superman occasionally. Think Q from Star Trek TNG. You force him to say his own name and he is banished for a while (not easy to do since his name is pretty much un-pronounceable). Kinda cheesy. That and Super Dog. A dog with a cape. Really?

erikals
08-01-2012, 05:23 AM
"That and Super Dog. A dog with a cape. Really?"

Super dog is like Batman's Robin...

safetyman
08-02-2012, 05:46 AM
"That and Super Dog. A dog with a cape. Really?"

Super dog is like Batman's Robin...

My point exactly. Super dog, Robin, superfriends. Hokey. And Aquaman.