PDA

View Full Version : Larry Shultz is holding a web seminar right now!

LW_Will
07-28-2012, 01:09 PM
totally free, on Saturday 28th of July starting at noon pacific time.

Quote:
From 12 noon to 3pm PST.
For directions to the location just go to http://www.sdlightwave.com and click on the “Directions” link at the top of the page.

We are going to try something different for this meeting and while we are meeting at the usual location we will also place it live on Adobe connect for those who cannot make it to meet the members in person.

The URL to join live is http://experts.adobeconnect.com/sdlwug/

If you have never used Adobe Connect before be aware that it will ask you to allow the Connect software to install on your system. Just install and enjoy.

The presenters will be Larry Shultz (Spline God) & Stephen Burns (Author of PS CS5 Trickery & FX).
The topics are “Driving Displacements with Textures” & “LightWave 3D and Photoshop CS6 Extended”.

Take note that we have a switch up on the presentation schedule.
Larry Shultz will be the first presenter instead of the second.

For more details on the webinar please go to www.sdlightwave.com/.

I hope to see everyone there.

jeric_synergy
07-28-2012, 02:07 PM
Starting at noon, posted at 12:09.

What's wrong w/this picture? >:^(

SplineGod
07-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Its been advertised for awhile, Will was just reminding any last minute ppl. :)

K-Dawg
07-28-2012, 04:16 PM
Been a great webinar. Was fun to watch and bunch of questions. Thanks Larry and Stephen for setting this up.

SplineGod
07-28-2012, 04:25 PM
Thank you. It was fun and enjoyed the chat :)

OnlineRender
07-28-2012, 04:54 PM
great show thank you very much looking forward to the next one!

Ryan Roye
07-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Was pretty cool to see things like autobind at work for different applications (IE: Doc Octopus's tentacles to make him climb a wall). I don't think it was quite a beginner's tutorial, so it may be one of those kinds of webinars that would be really handy to be able to review and study for those who need more time to absorb the info.

My only criticism here is the adobe program seemed a bit sluggish visually this time around. Audio on my end had no problems.

jeric_synergy
07-28-2012, 05:33 PM
Its been advertised for awhile, Will was just reminding any last minute ppl. :)
Well, my apologies then, but I must have missed the memo. :sleeping:

Damn, I really wanted to see that tentacle setup. shoot!

LW_Will
07-28-2012, 06:05 PM
Well, my apologies then, but I must have missed the memo. :sleeping:

Damn, I really wanted to see that tentacle setup. shoot!

Well, then... Good News Everyone!

In the next few days, we will have the video for webseminar featuring Animation (with IKBoost) with Larry Schultz online.

All you need to do is follow http://experts.adobeconnect.com/sdlwug/ when I, Steve, Larry or somebody makes the announcement here!

It was really very cool.

Will

LW_Will
07-28-2012, 06:14 PM
Oh, and if you want to be alerted to these San Diego Lightwave Users Group meetings by email, contact Steve Burns directly at [email protected]

LW_Will
07-28-2012, 06:36 PM
Was pretty cool to see things like autobind at work for different applications (IE: Doc Octopus's tentacles to make him climb a wall). I don't think it was quite a beginner's tutorial, so it may be one of those kinds of webinars that would be really handy to be able to review and study for those who need more time to absorb the info.

The first time that Larry showed the effect, I couldn't understand what I was seeing. Second, I understood, not sure I could do it. THIS TIME, I got it!

I think that the practical application of using ikB on an actual character, and your video that covered just the basics (should I link that one here?), really showed off the power and not the limitations that ikBoost provided. I really wish I was done with what I have to do and could experiment with ikB!

My criticism, and I think its one of the problems with what Rob has been dealing with as a director of Lightwave; the tool is really cool, but what is the workflow. Workflow, procedure, the rules... whatever... how do you make it work in a practical application? I think that Larry started in the right place, but I was a little lost in the animation portion. "Pose to Pose", timing, and binding I got okay. But the moving frames in the dope sheet, the final binding, and the other thing... I got a little stuck. If we want this tool to be an actual tool, it really needs to fully have its workflow defined.

IMHO...

My only criticism here is the adobe program seemed a bit sluggish visually this time around. Audio on my end had no problems.

Um... have we mentioned that Larry was in New Zealand, and not California?

;-)

Actually, and I am loathed to give any praise to Adobe, but their Connect Software was surprisingly robust and worked with everyone who had a relatively quick internet connection.

I suspect that people with audio problems will be cleared up with the download. The video problems were just inherent from Larry to Adobe to you, so... it really is a magic trick that it actually worked!

Ryan Roye
07-28-2012, 07:32 PM
I think that the practical application of using ikB on an actual character, and your video that covered just the basics (should I link that one here?), really showed off the power and not the limitations that ikBoost provided.

Feel free to distribute the IKBooster starter guide video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4lvAGK1m0o) to anyone who is interested in getting an initial foothold in IKBooster. I think of it as a gateway video that should have great synergy with other guides out there already (both free and stuff you'd pay for). I mainly left that and a few other videos unlisted simply to encourage a more cohesive learning environment in the IKBooster group.

Even so, when it comes to animation, bear in mind that the largest learning curve isn't in the software/method you're using... its practicing and knowing the concepts behind it (arcs, motion, gravity, getting a feel of timing, knowing how to convey energy through a body, easein/easeout, squash/stretch etc). So, being a talented rigger and knowing your tools inside and out is only part of the big equation.

That said, the two main workflows I know of really are:

-Pose to Pose (Animate one full pose at a time like shown in the webinar, then fill in spaces inbetween keyframes. This is what is used most often, better for working with other people and for yielding previews of your work)

-Linear (Animate one body part at a time linearly with more emphasis on moving inch-by-inch than blocking things out. I use this for my production because I can animate this way faster at the moment... I believe it is considered inefficient for anything other than solo projects where you are certain no one else will need to look at your work while you work on it)

jeric_synergy
07-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Feel free to distribute the IKBooster starter guide video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4lvAGK1m0o) to anyone who is interested in getting an initial foothold in IKBooster. I think of it as a gateway video that should have great synergy with other guides out there already (both free and stuff you'd pay for). I mainly left that and a few other videos unlisted simply to encourage a more cohesive learning environment in the IKBooster group.
WOW, fantastic introduction! :bowdown:

I'm not sure, however, that I agree with your strategy of keeping it unlisted, because many users will thus never find it via YouTube Search. :chicken: "Cohesive"-ness is nice, but even "random access" is better than no access at all.

Was that the sole video you did about IKB? It was excellent.

SplineGod
07-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Will: You might also take a look at this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf9zIdMC2MU&feature=plcp

Jeric: The reason that the link to Chaz video is not public is because I had setp
an IKBooster group for ppl to discuss and share info about IKB in an area that doesnt
attract negative attention. If you havent noticed that almost any thread that dicusses IKB
ends up degenerating into flame and chaos. For some reason its one of those topics that seems
to draw unwanted attention. If anyone is really interested in discussing IKB in a calm and civil way I would
PM me about getting an invite to the group. :)

jeric_synergy
07-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Jeric: The reason that the link to Chaz video is not public is because I had setp an IKBooster group for ppl to discuss and share info about IKB in an area that doesnt attract negative attention. If you havent noticed that almost any thread that dicusses IKB ends up degenerating into flame and chaos. For some reason its one of those topics that seems to draw unwanted attention. If anyone is really nterested in discussing IKB in a calm and civil way I would PM me about getting an invite to the group. :)
LOL, it does incite the passions, doesn't it? Roger that. :thumbsup:

SplineGod
07-29-2012, 04:28 AM
great show thank you very much looking forward to the next one!

Thanks! it was fun :)

silviotoledo
07-30-2012, 12:45 PM
Just saw the end of it. Is it already available the link to see again?

SplineGod
07-30-2012, 01:34 PM
Steve should have a link posted soon on the SDLightwave group website soon.

jeric_synergy
07-30-2012, 01:40 PM
Steve should have a link posted soon on the SDLightwave group website soon.
That Connect software works very well-- good choice by whoever did the choosing. :beerchug:

SplineGod
07-30-2012, 01:57 PM
I agree, it wasnt too bad even here in NZ. :)