PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #182 - Ashtray

ArtGoblin
07-26-2012, 11:29 AM
Speed Modeling Challenge #182 - Ashtray

Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wire-frame and a render at 800x600 or larger.
3. LightWave must be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug-ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
6. The winner is judged by the challenge starter and the prize is to set up the challenge after next week's .

This week's topic is: Ashtray
Since I stopped smoking today, I find it only fitting that the subject of this speed-challenge would be "ashtray". Ashtray's are a nice subject in that way that you have a lot of different ones in all shapes and sizes, and all levels of complexity, so everyone should be able to find something to model that's going to challenge their modelling skills. And better yet original ideas/designs are more than welcome :)

Time limit: 60 minutes
Deadline: Wed. 1st of August 2012. 22:00 G.M.T.

XswampyX
07-26-2012, 03:26 PM
Here you go. Looks disgusting! 8/

About 10mins for the ash tray, same for the ciggy. Arrangement courtesy of bullet.

Anybody know how to get a semi-realistic ash in there?

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/Fags_Small.jpg

And the wires.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/Fags-wired.jpg

Kryslin
07-27-2012, 01:33 AM
As much as I find the subject distasteful...
800 x 600 Normal
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/Kryslin/funstuff/unbroken_ahstray_q85.jpg

800 x 600 Wires
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/Kryslin/funstuff/ashtray-wires_q85.jpg
(Thanks to whoever pointed me at the Polygon Coloring Plugin...)

Ooops...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/Kryslin/funstuff/broken_ashtray_q85.jpg
(A similar fate to the ashtrays in our house when my late father had his heart attacks, except those had either a .308 or .450 hole put in them @ 10M or so...)
(Same model, run through fracture, and dropped from 10m.)

~50 minutes to model (twice) and run through fracture (once)

torturebori007
07-27-2012, 05:40 AM
HAhahaha kryslin....thats great

XswampyX as always great job

RudySchneider
07-27-2012, 08:36 PM
Here's mine. Took a full hour to manipulate; nothin' fancy for texturing.

Rabbitpenny
07-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Nice modeling everyone. Beautiful render XswampyX. Congratulations Artglobin, on stopping smoking. To help you with your goal, I modeled a "Lungs and Trachea" ashtray complete with hemorrhage. 45min.

https://sites.google.com/site/rabbitpenny3d/home/LungAshtray002.jpg

https://sites.google.com/site/rabbitpenny3d/home/LungAshtrayMesh002.jpg

regular
07-28-2012, 02:39 PM
Beer bottle ashtray, because it's there.
Sorry , still learning... :(

Oh well, none of the image buttons (attachments or insert image) work for me. They won't open. :)

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/3597/beerbottles.jpg

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/8826/beerbottlewire.jpg

Amurrell
07-29-2012, 05:52 PM
Here's mine. Not dirtied up.

Iain
07-30-2012, 09:38 AM
Nice entries so far (if nice is the right word?:hey:)
Rudy, that's ace modelling!

chco2
07-30-2012, 02:54 PM
My 25 mins worth .. wanted to make it as close to what I have here as possible.

Render:

http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/ashtray.jpg

Wire:

http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/ashtray_wire.jpg

Iain
07-30-2012, 11:27 PM
I couldn't find a lot of variation online but I thought this rounded triangle might prove tricky.
It doesn't really look it though so I had to find another way to make it probably the best ashtray in the world.............

akaracquel
07-31-2012, 07:41 AM
Admirable shape Iain! :thumbsup:

8~

http://www.slaughterhouse.com.au/destinationthere/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/ashtray01.jpg

http://www.slaughterhouse.com.au/destinationthere/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/ashtray02.jpg

jeric_synergy
07-31-2012, 08:05 AM
Admirable shape Iain! :thumbsup:

Akaraquel, tell us about your surfacing here, please! :thumbsup:

jeric_synergy
07-31-2012, 09:22 AM
Short on surfacing, but done in 59.

Oh, BTW, :: http://midcenturyvibe.wordpress.com/2012/03/28/metal-stand-ashtray/

akaracquel
07-31-2012, 09:38 AM
@jeric_synergy: ..nothing clever on my part, I just pressed F8 and thought it looked cool ;D ..but it took me forever to find something i actually liked in the presets that came with the IWF2 plugin :grumpy: It was a nodal preset called 'wall'. I have no idea if native LW tools can do the same / similar kind of thing.

jeric_synergy
07-31-2012, 09:40 AM
@jeric_synergy: ..nothing clever on my part, I just pressed F8 and thought it looked cool ;D ..but it took me forever to find something i actually liked in the presets that came with the IWF2 plugin :grumpy: It was a nodal preset called 'wall'. I have no idea if native LW tools can do the same / similar kind of thing.
Huh! It seems to conform so neatly with the topology, but not slavishly, that I figured you must have sweated bullets over it!! :rock:

Anyway, looks cool, and thanks for the answer! :thumbsup:

Kryslin
07-31-2012, 12:05 PM
It's doable with native nodes, but it's not easy. The one thing I haven't been able to find is a native equivalent node to RSL's cellnoise() function, which makes varying the colors of the tiles relatively easy...

A radial mapping function would be good, too...

jeric_synergy
07-31-2012, 12:28 PM
Here you go. Looks disgusting! 8/

About 10mins for the ash tray, same for the ciggy.
Eyewww.

Are the ciggys (ciggies?) a cylindrical image map?

XswampyX
07-31-2012, 12:41 PM
No, I had to make a cylindrical UV map to texture them as I wanted to arrange them in a single layer and then use bullet to let them fall into position. If I had used just a cylindrical image map, any rotation of the ciggy would mess up the texture.

If you make and UV map just one ciggy, any copies that you make also get the UV map. So If you have to adjust the texture later you can do all of them at the same time.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/CiggyTextureUV.jpg

Cheers!

Paul_Boland
07-31-2012, 05:59 PM
I don't mean to stand on anyones toes here, but I'm very disappointed to see this as the new Speed Modelling Challenge topic. I have ZERO tollerance for Death Sticks. I blame them for taking my Ma from me. For as long as I live I'll never have anything to do with them. I won't even go to the shop for someone to pick them up or bring home big cartons of death from Duty Free when I go on holidays. I'm sorry to say when I view the artwork posted here, I see images promoting an industry of death and devastated families... I look forward to next Speed Modelling Challenge.

jeric_synergy
07-31-2012, 06:44 PM
And weapons based challenges?

Paul_Boland
07-31-2012, 07:15 PM
Not looking to spark a debate on this, but since you asked, you can't walk into your local news agent and buy a gun. I find it very disturbing to see people in shops paying their hard earned cash to buy death and devastation for their families. In airports, at Duty Free, to see these things being snapped up by travellers as it's a bargain price for death and devastation. I think back to the times when my Ma would send me down to the local store to buy a pack for her... If I could go back to that time, I would refuse to do it. My poor Ma spent the last two years of her life in hospital battling for life, a battle she lost at the young age of 53, all for the sake of a smoke. I have a severe dislike for those things now and will have nothing to do with them ever!

stevenpalomino
07-31-2012, 07:21 PM
That's understandable. Probably best to just leave the discussion to other parts of the forum though. As much as I agree, this just isn't the place for discussion or debate.

jeric_synergy
07-31-2012, 07:59 PM
Not looking to spark a debate on this, but since you asked, you can't walk into your local news agent and buy a gun.
You pretty much can here.

Anyway, we'll save it for other fora. :beerchug:

Bax33
07-31-2012, 08:14 PM
Some pretty nice butts mixed in with these ashtrays.
:thumbsup:
About 40 mins modeling.

stevenpalomino
07-31-2012, 11:45 PM
Here's my entry. Just a common ashtray. Was trying to work on my nodes for the cigarette though. maybe 30 minutes for modeling.

Iain
08-01-2012, 10:55 AM
Not looking to spark a debate on this,

Hmm really?:hey:
I totally agree with your stance on smoking-it killed my mother too but she was the first to agree that she had choices.
As modellers, we have to make everyday objects and its a bit silly to deny things you don't like actually exist.
Beauty can exist in even the least tasteful things. There are interesting variations of all objects-you just have to be.......objective.

erikals
08-01-2012, 11:06 AM
good choice of subject in my opinion,
makes you think about the side-effects.

many of us artists are too unhealthy.

wouldn't surprise me if smoking is banned in norway 20 years from now...

jeric_synergy
08-01-2012, 12:12 PM
I was very pleased that, just before I visited England & France, they banned smoking in restaurants. THANK GOD. I'm not sure I could have taken it after living in Seattle all these decades. It's vile.

Back on topic: I chose my model because all these little tabletop ashtrays seemed banal. C'mon guys, there's plenty of retro & art-deco floor-stand ashtrays to model.

Next up: spittoons. ;)

XswampyX
08-01-2012, 04:37 PM
Ouch!

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/AshTray_Eye_Small.jpg

The eye is just a flat disc, and the glass refraction makes it fill the bubble. If you move the camera around, the eyeball seems to follow you.

jeric_synergy
08-01-2012, 05:05 PM
swampy, you might want to copyright that....

erikals
08-01-2012, 05:12 PM
haha, love it, will give one to my friend ;]

JoePoe
08-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Gonna be late (if at all with this one). In case I don't find the time, just wanted to say.....

Congratulations on your decision ArtGoblin!!
Hope you're doing okay. (been there).

YOU CAN DO IT BROTHA!!!!!! :thumbsup:

JoePoe
08-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Since there hasn't been judging yet.... my 2 cents.

It's a Puffer fish. Get it...... PUFFER!.............:D:D:D......:grumpy:
(hey I'm allowed a bad joke...... 12 years, to the month, w/o a smoke.)

Mr. fishy only took about 30-40 min. The spikes , on the other hand.... an hour all by themselves.
(smoke in post)

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s395/joepoe1/puffer2_smoke.jpg

jeric_synergy
08-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Nice. I even smiled at the joke.

Soooooo, what tools to: place the spikes? Do the smoke (TC Stroke?)?

JoePoe
08-02-2012, 03:51 PM
The problem(s) with the spikes..... oy. :foreheads
I just didn't wanna work for it. Spent a lot of time looking/trying to get a "one button magic" solution. I thought, hey, I'll just use the spikey tool and be done. Uh uh.

issues:
1) wanted spikes to be a smooth transition from big (in middle) to small (on ends). Didn't know how to do that with a cloning plug. I can get size randomness, but not the smooth. Maybe somebody has a tip..... :hey:
2) Keeping the the spikes "somewhat" round. In my haste, I started muti shifting a copy of the fish mesh. no good.... no matter how hard I tried to keep the polys square, the global shift degenerated into terrible rectangles.

So ended up, just using the fish mesh, scaled down slightly, and sub divided, in order to use the points (in batches) to use rounder to get polys in decreasing size but still round. Then it was business as usual. A couple of multi-shifts, and then, finally, spikey tool.

Smoke was in photoshop. Google images -> white smoke on black background -> layer set to screen - done. :hat:

Amurrell
08-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Magic bevel maybe?

JoePoe
08-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Magic bevel maybe?

Hmmm interesting. I always seem to have a bit of a wrestling match with MB, but I'll give it a go. It's been a while, but I think you have to pull out each one individually? I'll find out. Thanks for the suggestion!

jeric_synergy
08-02-2012, 04:54 PM
So ended up, just using the fish mesh, scaled down slightly, and sub divided, in order to use the points (in batches) to use rounder to get polys in decreasing size but still round. Then it was business as usual. A couple of multi-shifts, and then, finally, spikey tool.

Ya lost me in the bolded part. ::wahh!::

Fun object!

JoePoe
08-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Ya lost me in the bolded part. ::wahh!::

Fun object!

Pictures are worth.......

jeric_synergy
08-02-2012, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the extra effort! Now, questions:

So, Rounder creates the "target" formation in the shaded image, correct?

Then you used multishift to extend the new "target" like polys out, to form spikes? (???)

Where did Spikey come into it?

As you can see from the image, I wasn't able to get the same pattern as you from Rounder, but there's so many parameters it's hard to know where I went wrong. Did you have to manually select a bunch o' points??

ArtGoblin
08-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Just dropping by to say that all you guys are brilliant ! Love how many people participated... I had planned to do my jury-duty this evening but since I accidentally fell asleep myself while putting my babyboy to sleep it will have to wait untill tomorrow. But again, you guys are ACE !

JoePoe
08-02-2012, 08:12 PM
Until then ArtG!

Jeric - so I've made a little animated gif. (I'm kinda thrilled that you're trying this :))

But first,
I think I was a little lazy with my arrows on the last post.
The goal is to select points, use rounder to expand those points into discs and then extrude those discs. I believe you are trying to curve the corners of the square polys into discs. Try it the other way. Just change Covexity direction in Rounder. (see gif). Also, take advantage of create new surface in Rounder, came in handy for selection purposes for me with hundreds of spikes all over the place (I may be overstating a little).

Also, you are quite right, Spikey really isn't needed. I think I just got caught up in creating.... Spikes. Normal move works just fine in the end.

And, yes, I manually selected blocks of points to give them different rounder diameters. That png above is still valid. :D

In closing (:)) I hope the animated gif helps, and, in general, I haven't completely confused the :cursin: out of you.

(I don't think I made the gif loop.... so just hit reload. And please forgive my spelling.)

jeric_synergy
08-02-2012, 08:42 PM
JoePoe, thank you for all your work in making that so very clear. I'm sure I'm not the only one who benefited from your generosity here.

VERY interesting use of Rounder to create easily Selectable points!

BTW, you might want to give this gif to LightWIKI: it's a tutorial all in itself.

Just the phrase "Use Rounder to expand points into disks" is gold, buddy, GOLD!
+++
(arghghgh! Reload doesn't help! hahahaha.....)

JoePoe
08-02-2012, 09:19 PM
... is gold, buddy, GOLD!

HaHa! Bania! ... can't get a Seinfeld reference past me! :D

It was clear? Really? Good, glad to help!

And re: "Use Rounder to expand points into disks".
I'm not sure, technically, if that's what's going on. Just a way to look at it that helps me.

BTW, gif now loops. :)

jeric_synergy
08-02-2012, 09:38 PM
HaHa! Bania! ... can't get a Seinfeld reference past me! :D
Actually, that's just the way I talk. Seriously! :)

ArtGoblin
08-03-2012, 06:15 PM
XswampyX:(entry#1) Spot on, clean mesh with a good polyflow. With the addition of ash it's production ready for midranged shots at least :) in 20 minutes that's incredibly effective modeling.

Kryslin: Good one there with some nice details on the rims of it, looks like a pretty efficient models regarding polyuse, nice to see somebody besides me use the power of the CCsubpatches. And the fractured render is lovely !

RudySchneider: I think this one may be the most interesting design and it's very very neatly modeled :)

Rabbitpenny: That's brilliant ! So simple modeling yet so defined shape and design, I love it

regular: That's a good looking ashtray... very pragmatic in it's own way :) You just need to get to grips with some good glass surfac'ing tutorial and POW ! you are going to see how good you're model actually is :)

Amurrell: Good one, allthough it looks close to the typical common ashtray at first sight, at a closer look it's a bit different making it slightly sexier design. Good looking mesh and good polyflow... Beautiful render and shading as well !

chco2: Nice work I've seen one of those, and it looks spot on except in my memorie the glass in your render seems a little "thin". Still nicely and efficiant ;)

Iain: Holy cow! did you render that ! Then again I shouldn't be surprised anymore by seeing you put together something as beautifully photoreal as that. Missing wires if you did do it, so disqualified in any case :/

akaracquel: Brilliant!!! I love how you always manage to come up with something outside the box :) Texturing looking soo cool as well

jeric_synergy: Finally somebody did an outdoors ashtray version :) Judging from the render the modeling looks spot on but unfortunatly It's disqualified couse of missing wireframes :/

Bax33: Probably the most detailed design ! Very well and efficiantly executed

stevenpalomino: That has to be a bachelor ashtray, seeing as it's only got one place to rest one sigarette ! And the sigarette texturing looks damn interesting too :)

XswampyX:(entry#2) hahaha cool and awesome at the same time ! Would like too see an animation on that where the camera moves and the eye follows the camera... unfortunatly no wires no qualifying :/

JoePoe: I have to say that's brilliant ! It has the makings of a supercool illustration art, so I'm just going to say it... JoePoe pleeeeeaaase work more on this Idea, it's obviously brilliant and I'd for one love to see it shine finely polished (or dirtied up) in the finished art gallery section :) unfortunatly you went over the speed... no I meant time limit becouse of the spikes so DISQUALIFIED ! ! ! :/

aaaaaand the winner is........ RudySchneider!!! I just love the design and I think you modeled it pretty much perfectly as far as I can see... would have loved to see it textured, but the potential for a smart looking render is obvious, and seeing how this is a modeling competition, I deem you the winner :)

As for the political blablabla about the choice of subject... well I have two things to say about that. Firstly the theme was "ashtray" not "sigarette with the marlbaro man himself". Being strongly against ashtrays feels to me kind of like being strongly against garbage cans in a way, so that said... I hope that anyone who didn't participate in this week solely becouse he or she was offended by the topic of this speedmodeling challenge will think again next time they pose a similare ethical dilemma... use your views in the design and how you portray your model, your art.. it has much more potential for getting the message accross effectively than just writing in some lines on how you're against smoking... hell I'm against smoking even though I'ver been a smoker for more than a decade just untill recently.

And for all the wellwishers congratulating me on quitting I say thanks a million! I like to focus on the positive sideeffects one feels/goes through when you quit smoking rather than all the negative facts I allready knew about what smoking can do to your health and others.

jeric_synergy
08-03-2012, 06:19 PM
jeric_synergy: Finally somebody did an outdoors ashtray version :) Judging from the render the modeling looks spot on but unfortunatly It's disqualified couse of missing wireframes :/
::HEDSMAK:: D'oh!!!! --I coulda been a contendah!

And for all the wellwishers congratulating me on quitting I say thanks a million! I like to focus on the positive sideeffects one feels/goes through when you quit smoking rather than all the negative facts I allready knew about what smoking can do to your health and others.
Food should start tasting MUCH better to you, especially breakfast. :)

ArtGoblin
08-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Yes... I know I did a trial test for a week two months ago just to see if I could do it and within a week my senses were allready coming back... one thing that sucked though was that I started tasting that wierd smell that comes from the water here in Reykjavík... it's kind of an "eggy" smell and even taste, and has to do with all your water is warmed with hot water from the earth. But then again, it's not that bad once you get used to it hehe

Paul_Boland
08-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Post removed by Paul. My apologies, folks...

ArtGoblin
08-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Can I just clarify, I was not offended by the topic. I have a 100% solid utter disgust for anything smoking related and just felt I had to voice my feelings on it. I did not intend to ruin the fun of the challenge itself, but the subject matter was hard for me to see. My poor Ma passed away at the young age of 53, way too young to die. She has missed so much of what has happened over the years since her passing and there isn't a day that passes that I don't miss her, think of her, talk to her. It disgusts me to see companies make profits on the death and devastation of families. Sorry, I'm getting a bit emotional now but even though my wonderful Ma passed away six years ago, it hurts like hell, I miss her so much...

ArtGoblin, good luck with keeping off the smokes, I hope you never go back to them...

Sorry for your loss... keep on the spirit and keep all the good memories. I don't think you ruined much fun here in this speedchallenge, but this thread is really not the best place to for "that" discussion :)

RudySchneider
08-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Whoa! Who'da thunk? Thanks for the kind words, ArtGoblin! It was just somethin' that popped into my head.

I normally try to stay out of "politically-correct" wranglings, but there will always be issues that strike a chord with some people more than others. There is no right or wrong, black or white, but infinite shades of gray (Hmmmm, where have I heard that recently?).

Even though she was a former smoker who'd given it up for well over 10 years (and who had annual colonoscopies!), I lost my wife to colon cancer in '95. And my current lady friend was a smoker, and swore she'd live to 100, right up until February, when she was diagnosed with lung cancer. I won't go into what she's gone through since.

People make choices. They, and sometimes others, are affected by those choices. Nuff sed.

ArtGoblin
08-04-2012, 07:01 AM
well... besides the fact that I'm not really disagreeing with anything here since I'm pretty much against smoking myself :) I think what I feel is most importantly related to the thread we are posting in now is this point.....:

Political and other tough subjects should and could be discussed in a seperate thread for the most parts, but I'd love for people to consider the posibility to rather make a point through their art and entries in the speedmodeling challenges, I've often tried to sneak in my own views on subjects through my work, often with the use of sarcasm hehe... becouse to be honest I don't really care that much for many things in this world, I like to think that I have the means to critisise or open up the minds of others through illustration, and I think that all of you do to (like some enties here proved). An image can say a more than a thousand words :) but that does not mean I'm against writing down your views on matters and discussing them openly, but preffarably I'd like to see someone create a new thread for "that" discussion and maybe post a link to it on the speedmodeling thread.

JoePoe
08-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Great turnout.....

Congrats Rudy! Nice form factor. :thumbsup:

XSwampyX, I too think you've got something there. Cool concept. If it does anything close to that in the real world, somebody will be interested!! Go for it. (or set it free :hey:)

ArtGoblin - thanks for ur comments! I'll try.... it's on the list. :eek:

ArtGoblin
08-08-2012, 03:33 PM
XswampyX's consept should work in theory I think... I did an illustration for a friend of mine who was doing product-design final project, his idea was to make a series of different typ of glasses.. what they'd all have in common was this thick rounded glass bottom and he worked in many different usages for them, in regards to dating, doing silly faces for fun and glamour, and he'd worked in some other stuff in the consept.

Here's a link to the illustration I did for him
http://www.weebly.com/uploads/2/9/0/5/2905687/custom_themes/124577817955457084/files/IcedGlass.jpg?79515

VictoryX
08-18-2012, 04:26 PM
I know this topic is done, but to possibly help on Joe Poes problem. I ran into a similar issue when I wanted to place Rivets on a Submarine I built. Couldn't get a decent look from a radial array and the Point Plus Clone tool doesn't orient things properly. Then I found this neat little plugin.

http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=161f8841

It clones an object and attaches it to another objects polygon with the orientation of the normals. So you could model 1 spike then select all the polygons you wanted the spike to jut out from. Did this spiky ball in about 2 minutes.

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc346/adjustvolume/Spikeball.jpg

jeric_synergy
08-18-2012, 04:54 PM
I know this topic is done, but to possibly help on Joe Poes problem. I ran into a similar issue when I wanted to place Rivets on a Submarine I built. Couldn't get a decent look from a radial array and the Point Plus Clone tool doesn't orient things properly. Then I found this neat little plugin.

http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=161f8841

Excellent find! ::hattip::

BTW, I noticed that the entry for the plugin was a bit out of date: there IS a 64 bit version available, thank you Takahiko-san!

Plus, the plugin had no tags, so I added a bunch. Please everybody, if you use lwplugindb, add a couple tags every time you visit.