PDA

View Full Version : Cloth Dynamics Questions

Oldcode
07-25-2012, 07:40 PM
Hey everybody,

Using LW 9.6 64 Windows 7:

I'm working on a kind of horror comedy project where, among other things, a giant snake goes around swallowing people. (I hate when the happens)

I'm using a poser character inside the snake and cloth dynamics to stretch the snake skin. Mostly it works great, see below. But on the "Ect" tab of the Cloth Dynamic settings, you have "presets" for different cloth types.

Cotton thin
Cotton thick
Silk
Rubber
Jelly

The problem is only the two Cotton settings work. The other settings always crash the cloth simulation.

Anybody seen this before? Anything that can be done? I'd like to use the "Rubber" setting, for I think it would work a little better.

Were there any improvements for the cloth dynamics for version 10 and 11?

Thanks in advance,

erikals
08-01-2012, 12:15 AM
it's difficult to improve, as the ClothFX calculation is not accurate enough.
hence the jitter in the face area.

LW11.5 will have Bullet Soft Body simulation and will work better for this.

Oldcode
08-01-2012, 12:34 AM
Thanks!

I put this question on Foundation 3D and Rigel told me the problem was the model was not subpatched.

I tried that and it worked much better, but still had some problem. It's another option though.

erikals
08-01-2012, 05:17 AM
yes, as this deformed simulation is not that demanding, yep, it might help to up the resolution of the two objects...

Oldcode
08-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Thanks again.

How much better do you think 11.5 will be over 9.6?

erikals
08-01-2012, 09:51 AM
for cloth simulation in general, a bit better.
but soft body simulation tend to look less detailed and more rubbery...

for this type of simulation though i think it will make it look much better.

it's difficult in general to get great cloth without turning to Marvelous Designer or Maya/Max/xSI

soft body vs cloth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS1AhZP7io4

 

Oldcode
08-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Hey!

Thanks for the link! That looks really cool. I tried using the soft dynamics in 9.6 for this shot but I could never get it to work.

Maybe I'll try again and/or start saving my pennies for 11.5.

Thanks again!