PDA

View Full Version : Compositing Buffer Export | AO renders as alpha

freshdb
07-24-2012, 08:55 AM
Hi there,
I'm using Ambient Occlusion in Compositing Buffer Export. When I render locally either using the image viewer or image files saving to a network location, Ambient Occlusion works perfectly.

When I submit to our renderfarm using Deadline, any other pass renders fine, except for Ambient Occlusion, the output looks like an alpha, no AO at all.

Any ideas?

xchrisx
07-24-2012, 12:32 PM
Could it be color space settings? Or something to do with the bit depth of the rendered image format?

freshdb
07-24-2012, 12:43 PM
I'll do a test for you in a little bit and supply visuals, it will probably help.

I'm doing TGA32.

It's the strangest thing, the "AO" looks just like an alpha.

freshdb
07-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Here's my little test....

Top image is rendered locally on one of the nodes(nonworkstation).

Bottom image is rendered by submitting to deadline.

Same scene, nothing changed. Rendering out a 32bit TGA. Any ideas?

xchrisx
07-24-2012, 02:39 PM
what are your color space settings? is everything set to linear?

freshdb
07-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Yes sir.

I feel like there's some disconnect with Deadline and LW and I can't figure out what it is yet. Everything else renders just fine on the farm except for this one pass.

Thanks for the help!

xchrisx
07-24-2012, 03:04 PM
I was curious if your color space settings are similar to what I have below (Color space = disabled). Since TGA isnt floating point I am wondering if for some reason the output color space settings are wrong.
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3815/linear.png

Another thing is, this may sound dumb, but are you rendering with the same version of LW on the farm as you are using to make the scenes?

freshdb
07-24-2012, 03:10 PM
Oh, I gotcha...yup, all linear.

Doesn't sound dumb to me, simple mistakes are usually the last to be looked at! :) Double checked, same version. I'm using LW 11 64 and thats what the farm is using, we just upgraded recently. I'll have to play more tomorrow, determined to get this to work. In the meantime, I have just done an old school AO pass to get the job done. Also looking into getting exrTrader, that seems like the way to go.

xchrisx
07-24-2012, 03:19 PM
we use exrtrader here and absolutely love it. I would definitely recommend it.