PDA

View Full Version : TC455 Aux Audio Question

ZachSchuster
07-23-2012, 04:36 PM
I am rewiring the school's studio to accommodate a TC455. I'm running everything in mono audio since stereo is not a requirement for what we're doing. However, I am running DDR, sound, and effects out through audio aux connections back in to my mixer.

I would like to try something like this:

Fader 10: DDR 1
Fader 11: DDR 2/Sound
Fader 12, or Tape input (RCA): Effects

In Live Desktop I would pan DDR 1 to the left, DDR 2 and Sound to the right, and effects I'd run audio on channels 3 and 4, with no audio in channels 1 and 2.

Could this work? Would I theoretically be able in SpeedEdit to generate an audio file for my transitions effects that have audio on channels 3 and 4, but nothing on 1 and 2?

EDIT: SpeedEdit is no longer installed by default, and I haven't downloaded it yet, hence the question.

EDIT 2: I'll add that most DDR video will be news segments, created by students, and will almost assuredly have audio only in channels 1 and 2. For our needs, audio on channels 3 and 4 will be nonexistent, which is why I am hoping to use it for the transitions effects.

Thanks,

Zach

SBowie
07-24-2012, 07:31 AM
Zach, I'm not really sure that Effects (that is, the sound embedded in Animation Store transitions) can use the two 'rear' channels. I'll try to find out.

ZachSchuster
07-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Steve,

I installed SpeedEdit and was able to get to get an audio file that ran audio on the rear channels. I successfully created a transition with said audio file. When I play the transition in Live Production, I can see deflection on channels 3 and 4 in the effects mixer channel, and nothing on channels 1 and 2. I can also see identical deflection on the main mix.

However, I see no deflection in the Aux out (set to all internal sources), and plugging in a cable from the 2a or 2b outputs in to a confidence monitor, I hear nothing.

Furthermore, I don't see any deflection on the Stream mix (since there are only 2 channels of audio).

In hindsight, this makes sense, since the outputs on the 455 are essentially main mix stereo and aux mix stereo, with no option for a 4 channel audio output. Too much going through my head and I saw the four outputs and starting thinking I'd have four aux outputs, not two.

So I have two options. Option A is to keep my DDR 1 panned left and DDR 2 and Sound panned right as described in my original post, and not worry about sending transition audio through the mixer. Or Option B is to pan all DDR and Sound left, and effects to the right, and have a one fader for all media, and one fader for transitions.

The only benefit of sending the transitions back through the mixer is I have some options for using it in mix-minuses for a studio audience/house feed. It's not necessary, so I think I'm going to drop it.