PDA

View Full Version : Exact size and resolutions

nnabdu
07-23-2012, 02:40 PM
Dears:
I have this problem from long time I suffer from it,,,,
When I finished from my job in LW 10, I need to Render for print ,, I missed with the size of the A4 and the high resolution color to get finial results ,,,
I want Render for Print with high resolution and exact size of A4 ,,,

thanks to all

littlewaves
07-23-2012, 02:50 PM
without getting too anal here your final rendered image should be 2480 pixels by 3508 pixels

Depending on how particular the company who are printing it are you may need to convert to CMYK in photoshop or similar.

You might also need to change the resolution in PS to 300 dpi but if you're doing this make sure that the pixel measurements stay as detailed above.

Also they might ask for a bleed (which is usually 3mm extra on all edges)

Dexter2999
07-23-2012, 03:10 PM
In Layout, go to the Utilities tab.
Check Plugins->Additional->Print Assistant.

It might help.

nnabdu
07-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Dears:
Many thanks to you ( littlewaves & Dexter2999 ),,
I checked Print Assistant, I found this (

Width = 3.4133
Height = 2.56
----------
and I found this , but I don't understand for what :

W Picas = 20p5
H Picas = 15p4
-----------------------

Do I need to change the width to = 2480
and Height to = 3508

to get more resolution or what ..\

Thanks

Dexter2999
07-23-2012, 03:53 PM
The Width and Height you saw in the Print Assistant is for inches.

The numbers you have of 2480 and 3508 are specific pixel dimensions that Lilwaves provided you with.

I pointed you to the Print Assistant because someday you may want to print something that isn't on A4.

Picas is a measurement used by print graphic artitst typography measurements.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pica_(typography)

If you do the math, take the numbers Lilwaves gave you and divide them by the number 300, which is the standard acceptable print resolution. You should result in a number that matches the measurement of your document.

In effect the Print Assistant is just a panel where you enter the dimensions and multiply it by the desired resolution (in this case 300dpi) and it applies the result to the camera in your scene.

JonW
07-23-2012, 04:15 PM
There is some info on thus website. http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-camera-pixel.htm

If one is after 300 dpi, or in metric, 11.8 pixels per mm. Just multiply the print size, A4 210 x 297, x 11.8 = 2478 x 3505

If it's not to the exact pixel just resize it in Photoshop etc. & if you want to keep all your files a consistent "300 dpi" adjust that while you are at it in PS.

If you have a complex render (lots of reflections, transparency & AA) to save a bit of render time (in this situation going from 300 to 200 (or 12 to 8 roughly) your render time will by 55% less) you may want to render at this lower resolution, say around 200 dpi or in other words at about 8 pixels for every mm. Then up-res the size in PS. In most situations it probably will not be noticed in the final image. Actually if you then up-res a bit the image will in general look a bit better not having those very hard 3d render edges.

nnabdu
07-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Please can we focus on the exact sizes on my project ..
from the begging,,, if I want to start , when I open the LW modeler the exact dimensions that I have use to get A4 is 210*279 mm .... and then built my project and then transfer it to the layout as it is in the modeler ..
in the layout I'll get the same dimensions .. is it correct ???

thanks

Dexter2999
07-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Modeler has nothing to do with the resolution of what is rendered.

Model whatever you want.
Set the dimensions of the camera to the resolution you want.
Move the camera to frame the object to the desired aesthetic.
Push render.

LittleWaves already gave you the numbers for your project. The other answers were trying to teach you how to do it for yourself so you don't come back here every time your print needs change.

nnabdu
07-23-2012, 06:08 PM
great thanks all ,,,
I'll try and find it ...

JonW
07-23-2012, 09:34 PM
Modeler has nothing to do with the resolution of what is rendered.

Model whatever you want.
Set the dimensions of the camera to the resolution you want.
Move the camera to frame the object to the desired aesthetic.
Push render.

LittleWaves already gave you the numbers for your project. The other answers were trying to teach you how to do it for yourself so you don't come back here every time your print needs change.

As mentioned. The size of a piece of paper & pixels have nothing to do with each other.

If you want a reasonably high quality print the "standard" is to send off to your printer 11.8 pixels for every linear mm of paper. Or about 139 pixels for every square mm of paper.

So if you are fortunate enough to be able to do edge to edge printing on an A4, & you want nice densely printed pixels, set your camera Width & Height in Layout to about 2480 x 3508 for a portrait render or 3508 x 2480 for a landscape render. Then in Photoshop make sure or change the Resolution in Image Size to 300dpi & as a result the Document size will now be 21 x 29.7 cm, assuming your rulers in PS are set to cm.

If you want to do a quicker render in a little under half the time. In Layout set your camera Width & Height to 1653 x 2339 or vice versa for landscape! Then in Photoshop change the Resolution in Image Size to 200dpi & as a result the Document size will now be 21 x 29.7 cm.

In both 300dpi & 200dpi situations the printed size will be exactly the same 21 x 29.7 cm. It's just that the 200 dpi is less pixels to render but the image will be 2/3 less as sharp. If you have done a good job on Sharpening one will be battling to tell the difference with the lower dpi. (An additional simple sharpening step would be to do Unsharp Mask, Amount 10%, Radius 50 Pixels, Threshold 0, you are actually adding some local contrast which makes the image look sharper than it really is)

A billboard print at 21 x 29.7 metres, using the same 2480 x 3508 pixels would now be printed out at 3dpi, or in metric 1 pixel printed will be 8.46mm or 0.118 of a pixel per mm. One looks at a billboard from a 100 metres or so, it will look just as sharp as your A4 print at 300dpi viewed at a fraction of the distance of the billboard.

So in other words the number of pixels has absolutely nothing to do with the size of a piece of paper.