PDA

View Full Version : Layer Visibility Panel

Tony3d
07-22-2012, 05:33 PM
I noticed that layer visibility does not seem to sync to layout using the hub. Has anyone else had this problem or am I doing something wrong? I'm running Lightwave 11.02 on the Mac

nickdigital
07-22-2012, 08:39 PM
If you're talking about the panel in Modeler layer visibility does not control what's seen and not seen in Layout. You'd have to load the model into Layout from scratch to control that.

Tony3d
07-22-2012, 09:06 PM
If you're talking about the panel in Modeler layer visibility does not control what's seen and not seen in Layout. You'd have to load the model into Layout from scratch to control that.

I thought it would sync that information.

jeric_synergy
07-22-2012, 09:53 PM
Well, it does before it gets loaded into Layout. Once it's in there, all bets are off.

that is: "uneyeballed" layers in the LWM Layers Panel are not loaded into Layout initially. TMK that status is never updated once the object is in Layout. IIRC, the rationale was a layer could have been a Parent in Layout, and turning it off would have broken any hierarchies based on the layer.

Why it couldn't be checked (!!!) I don't know, and why a layer not yet existing in Layout couldn't be activated, or a warning generated, I don't know either. ::cough::lame::cough::

Tony3d
07-22-2012, 10:07 PM
Well, it does before it gets loaded into Layout. Once it's in there, all bets are off.

that is: "uneyeballed" layers in the LWM Layers Panel are not loaded into Layout initially. TMK that status is never updated once the object is in Layout. IIRC, the rationale was a layer could have been a Parent in Layout, and turning it off would have broken any hierarchies based on the layer.

Why it couldn't be checked (!!!) I don't know, and why a layer not yet existing in Layout couldn't be activated, or a warning generated, I don't know either. ::cough::lame::cough::

Thanks for the explanation.

jeric_synergy
07-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the explanation.
It may or may not be right: I've never even managed to memorize the steps that allow you to add a new layer to a Layout-existing Object, although I know there is a procedure.

Markc
07-23-2012, 03:08 AM
If I add a layer to the model, I do an incremental save, which then updates the model in Layout :)

Danner
07-23-2012, 03:28 AM
Evertime you add a layer to an object in modeler it gets added in layout too if the object is already present in layout and the hub is sincronized. If you go to layout and remove that layer, then it will remember NOT to load it, so no matter what you do to that layer, it will not show up in layout anymore. To get that layer to load again you'll have to either remove your object completely and ad it to the scene again, or do a "load object layer".

jeric_synergy
07-23-2012, 08:57 AM
Evertime you add a layer to an object in modeler it gets added in layout too if the object is already present in layout and the hub is sincronized.
That has not been my experience. YMMV.

BeeVee
07-23-2012, 10:59 AM
11 certainly seems better in this regard than previous versions - to the point where I find myself making sure I untick the eyeball in Modeler for junk/test layers because otherwise they ruin my scenes :D

B

jeric_synergy
07-23-2012, 11:05 AM
11 certainly seems better in this regard than previous versions - to the point where I find myself making sure I untick the eyeball in Modeler for junk/test layers because otherwise they ruin my scenes :D
B
Of course, my workflow is conditioned by previous (buggier) versions of LW, so maybe I'll have to give this another chance.

Again, given my workflow, it'd be more convenient if EVERY new layer started off as Inactive. Usually all the working geometry gets collapsed to layer #1-- all the other layers are junk/text/temp layers. One could probably hijack "New Object" to an lscript that would establish, say, 20 layers and inactive them all. That'd meet 99% of my needs.

Of course, other people's workflow is probably different.

Tony3d
07-23-2012, 04:55 PM
i don't understand the visibility button. If it only works when you first send the object to layout, what good is it? the layer panel seems to loose a lot of functionality with the hub.

jeric_synergy
07-23-2012, 06:07 PM
Well, it's great, the FIRST time, although other people here are saying it does more.

It allows you to retain work layers w/o them showing up in Layout- that alone is worth while. It's not really "visibility" is "active". But, yeah, could have been better. A dozen things about the Layers Panel could have been better-- IMO they weren't thinking very hard at all when they built it.