PDA

View Full Version : "Auto Patch" - multiple patches at once?

jeric_synergy
07-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Here's the dox on "Auto Patch", in its entirety:

"Auto Patch
The Auto Patch command (Construct > Patches: Auto Patch)
automatically patches a spline cage. You can set the number of
rows and columns of the patch between 0 and 20.
{pic of UI}
To space the polygons according to the length of the curve, select
the Length Spacing checkbox. To ensure success, never have
more than four knots in a curve."

I don't quite understand why AutoPatch exists. It doesn't seem to do anything that PATCH doesn't do. It doesn't seem to 'guess' the proper order if you select splines (from the standard Spline Cage) if you choose the improper order.

SplineGod
07-21-2012, 10:25 PM
Its supposed to create polys on multiple spline patches at once, otherwise you have to manually select the splines and use the patch function. I dont use it typically because the way youre forced to build cages with splines to make it work is too constraining.

jeric_synergy
07-21-2012, 10:31 PM
Its supposed to create polys on multiple spline patches at once, otherwise you have to manually select the splines and use the patch function. I dont use it typically because the way youre forced to build cages with splines to make it work is too constraining.
Considering that it won't auto-patch the cage generated by NewTek's own 'Spline Cage' feature, it seems pretty lame.

Kinda a low bar, IMO: that your own stuff should work w/your own stuff.

Sensei
07-21-2012, 10:41 PM
What do you prefer easy or manual spline patching.. ? ;)
http://youtu.be/HirMWauajT8

SplineGod
07-21-2012, 10:47 PM
senseis spline tool is probably the best one overall. :)

Dodgy
07-21-2012, 11:51 PM
I definitely recommend Sensei's EasySpline tool. It's very good for modelling hard body objects, I use it all the time for roughing out cars etc.

jeric_synergy
07-22-2012, 12:25 AM
The second I start making money with LW, I have a long shopping list I'll be indulging in.

prometheus
07-25-2012, 06:34 AM
Nurbs please..Thank you.

Michael