PDA

View Full Version : Good job and internship board?

ShadowMystic
07-20-2012, 07:31 PM
I look through the common board like monster.com, simplyhired.com, indeed.com, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any others for animation or art related boards that were active and popular.

I even read through Craig(spam/scam)list. I find more often than not jobs labeled entry-level have 2-3 years experience as one requirement...

Or is freelancing the only way to to get a leg in the door without a completed college degree?

Its starting to get depressing not being able to even get basic work...

Edit: Sorry, I meant this be be in he general discussion section.

Ryan Roye
07-20-2012, 09:18 PM
IMO, employers (even those not related to the CG field) like to liberally put in arbitrary, unmeasurable terms like "X amount of years of experience"... when it really means that they just want someone who knows what they are doing. Though my career is not leaning towards CG, regardless, I tend to ignore that line entirely when applying for work and just focus on whether I feel confident that I can do exactly what they are asking for. If not, you'll need to fill those gaps in your skillset.

In short, don't let high-shooting ads intimidate you... it is a common tactic to reduce the number of applicants to leave only the ones determined to find work. If you think you have the talent and have work to show that proves it then there is no reason why that employer should not consider you.

nickdigital
07-20-2012, 11:24 PM
This one is specific to Viacom.
https://jobhuntweb.viacom.com/Viacom/taleo/index.html

Titus
07-21-2012, 11:56 AM
I remember a job post many years ago. They required 5 years of experience with Maya but Maya was just in its second or third year. So chazriker may have a point.

ShadowMystic
07-21-2012, 07:11 PM
IMO, employers (even those not related to the CG field) like to liberally put in arbitrary, unmeasurable terms like "X amount of years of experience"... when it really means that they just want someone who knows what they are doing. Though my career is not leaning towards CG, regardless, I tend to ignore that line entirely when applying for work and just focus on whether I feel confident that I can do exactly what they are asking for. If not, you'll need to fill those gaps in your skillset.

In short, don't let high-shooting ads intimidate you... it is a common tactic to reduce the number of applicants to leave only the ones determined to find work. If you think you have the talent and have work to show that proves it then there is no reason why that employer should not consider you.

I'm building my reels to prove I can fill their needs, but I would work minimum wage for a fixed period to prove I'm capable or for the chance to learn on-the job.

jeric_synergy
07-21-2012, 07:27 PM
I'm building my reels to prove I can fill their needs, but I would work minimum wage for a fixed period to prove I'm capable or for the chance to learn on-the job.
Yeah, don't make that fixed period more than a week.

Otherwise, they're just taking advantage of you.

ShadowMystic
07-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Yeah, don't make that fixed period more than a week.

Otherwise, they're just taking advantage of you.

I'd do a month or more if I was just learning and not a main person in the pipeline otherwise yes a week or two at most.

jeric_synergy
07-21-2012, 08:38 PM
I'd do a month or more if I was just learning and not a main person in the pipeline otherwise yes a week or two at most.
If you give them too much, it just makes it really tough on the next guy to walk thru the door.

And believe me, they'll take you to the laundry if at all possible.

ShadowMystic
07-21-2012, 08:59 PM
If you give them too much, it just makes it really tough on the next guy to walk thru the door.

And believe me, they'll take you to the laundry if at all possible.

That's true...

mdharman
07-21-2012, 10:28 PM
I get a monthly email from Creative Heads (www.creativeheads.net). This might be of interest.

ShadowMystic
07-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Thanks, everyone. I'll continue searching these, building, and improving my demo reel. Hopefully, I will be able to get a job in the bay area soon.

JBT27
07-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Play it by ear ... but seriously, don't do the free thing at all, if you can remotely avoid it. There have been plenty of comments about this in these forums over the years, so for your own sake, and everyone elses, weigh up the situation, make a call for sure because it is subjective, but really ease off on the free thing. We've been bitten too many times, and the upshot is just not worth it.

Julian.

ShadowMystic
07-24-2012, 03:56 PM
Play it by ear ... but seriously, don't do the free thing at all, if you can remotely avoid it. There have been plenty of comments about this in these forums over the years, so for your own sake, and everyone elses, weigh up the situation, make a call for sure because it is subjective, but really ease off on the free thing. We've been bitten too many times, and the upshot is just not worth it.

Julian.

I never said I'd work professionally for free. The only thing I do for free is working with Tanadrine Studio.