PDA

View Full Version : Creating splines via Extend, in one operation?

jeric_synergy
07-20-2012, 01:29 PM
Extend is a fantastic tool, IMO, but it creates polys.

I was just working with it and have a situation where it would be more convenient to have Extend create Splines instead of a bunch of 2point polys (in this particular case).

(Obviously, I could just kill the polys and create a spline or splines --in this case I'm making four at once so a fair amount of clicking, but I'm suggesting convenience here.)

1) Is there already a way to do this-- spline via interactive extrusion?

2) Is this idea attractive to anybody besides me?

Specifically, this would be most useful when creating rails for multi-rail extrusions, since they work best (YMMV) when starting at the edge of the extrusion poly.

prometheus
07-20-2012, 01:43 PM
Senseis true art tools perhaps?

Michael

Lewis
07-20-2012, 01:55 PM
There is extender and extender+ in LWM. They work similar but again different in several cases.

- Extender creates Junk geometry if extending edges/points (creates one un-nedded polygon). But this regular extender can "clone" points of of a spline very easy/fast and work fine in that regard.
- Extender+ don't do that (no junk polygons) but that one makes 2-point polys if extending "points" from spline which is then again other kind of junk geometry (i hate 2-point polys, they are just a hack to non render-able splines ;)).

so try using both in conjunction to in which mode you are in (point/poly/edge).

jeric_synergy
07-20-2012, 02:28 PM
"Jung geometry"??

So, nothing that extends a spline, interactively, directly?

(I realize this would be a very boutique tool, but there it is.) Ah well. Just thought I'd ask.

Lewis
07-20-2012, 02:52 PM
junk - typo (edited) :).

I'm usually extending points and then creating spline, select both, use smooth tool to smooth crossover between splines and then merge splines. Works fast, faster than typing explanation :).

I'm working with bezier splines most of time so they are interactive with their handles while creating.

jeric_synergy
07-20-2012, 03:18 PM
My thoughts here were when one is creating splines from points selected on the original poly.

Lewis
07-20-2012, 03:22 PM
OK but what's there to be interactive ? you pick points and hit create spline (open or closed). How would you make it more "interactive" ?

jeric_synergy
07-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Let me clarify:
I want to extend splines, just like regular Extend, and the interactive part is I can see how the curve is forming, instead of a series of straight lines.

To rephrase my post above:
"My thoughts here were when one is extending splines from points selected on the original poly. "

I can see how that might have been interpreted as "selecting points on a mesh", which is not what I'm meaning here. In general, these splines would most likely be at right angles to the mesh.

BUT, you could do this (extend splines) with multiple points simultaneously, which is why it's not just Draw Spline (followed by a Merge Points).

For instance: If I wanted to Multi-Rail Extrude a star, best effects might result from extending splines from the tips of the star's arms.

Lewis
07-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Hmm, so you want interactive Rail extrude by adjusting spline on the fly ?

Like this ?
http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/Px_Bezier/px_bezier-10.mov

prometheus
07-21-2012, 08:37 AM
You just got to love Px_bezier, I was about to suggest that too but wasīt certain if thatīs what he wants.

To bad only 32 bit thou, and Im not sure, isnīt pictrix dropping to continue working with plugins?
That is a shame, I would gladely donate if he could go and get 64 bit machine and compile to that.

Otherwise I would be glad if Newtek buys it from him and include it as native spline tool.
Used it often to create weldings.

Michael

Sensei
07-21-2012, 09:20 AM
EasySpline http://www.easyspline.com
has Extend Spline (like Extender Plus, but working on splines)
and Extrude Spline (like Extrude, but working on splines)
and Spline Point (making point on spline just by clicking any spline (not selected one), then when you move mouse after clicking point follow mouse like when you're using Drag Tool.. if you click existing point on spline, it's just dragged to new position).

I will remake videos in Full HD soon, subscribe to mine YouTube channel.

jeric_synergy
07-21-2012, 10:43 AM
EasySpline http://www.easyspline.com
has Extend Spline (like Extender Plus, but working on splines)
and Extrude Spline (like Extrude, but working on splines)
I'd think Lewis would LUVVVV this tool: seems made to order for him.

Sensei
07-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Here you have Full HD EasySpline Extrude Spline video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnjPNl4wVSs

It's also showing Preview Spline, Spline Point and VirtualMirror.

Lewis
07-21-2012, 02:01 PM
I'd think Lewis would LUVVVV this tool: seems made to order for him.

Well Yes and No. I've seen it before but never seen video about adjusting density, that spline cage for cars (BMW and Jag) is way too dense and doesn't have good polyflow at all so I'd first need to see can it be adjusted for each patch individually to have user set number of rows/columns. But since there is no Demo to try i couldn't check that and Sensei didn't show that kind of video so i left uninformed about that :).

But all in all looks very cool and almost like "Nurbs Patches" :).

jeric_synergy
07-21-2012, 06:03 PM
.... but never seen video about adjusting density, that spline cage for cars (BMW and Jag) is way too dense and doesn't have good polyflow at all so I'd first need to see can it be adjusted for each patch individually to have user set number of rows/columns. But since there is no Demo to try i couldn't check that and Sensei didn't show that kind of video so i left uninformed about that :).

But all in all looks very cool and almost like "Nurbs Patches" :).
It's important to remember when watching videos that the person demonstrating the software may NOT be the most qualified to do so:

they could be a poor user,
they could be a poor teacher,
they could be having a bad day,
they might not understand a given feature,
their concerns might be different than yours, despite the feature existing.

Buddha knows that were I to make a video, I'd be at least one of these.

Just sayin'. :angel:

Sensei
07-21-2012, 09:32 PM
EasySpline is no different from regular sub-patches, just the source for geometry is different. It's analyzing the all splines in the layer, and checking whether they intersect each other. And if so, there is generated virtual geometry between these splines.

In sub-patches can you edit how many perpendicular and parallel polygons patch will generate? No! Because it's 1) unknown what is perpendicular and what is parallel (in not real-time it's USER who is telling tool by order in which he selects splines, what is perpendicular and what parallel- in the real-time solution, nobody selects anything, and order of splines changes in second while editing, making new one and deleting olders) 2) there is no way to store that data attached to polygon. 3) EasySpline supports patches with different number of splines than LW 4. In f.e. triangle spline patch, what is perpendicular and what parallel?

If I will put parallel and perpendicular info inside of weight map, it'll be gone after editing that patch, similar like Catmull-Clark Edge Weighting disappear after editing geometry (if just Modify tools will be used, that move points, it's fine).

The most of geometry editing tools work like this: check what is source polygon (if selected, if meeting some circumstance, like passing through cutting line), then delete it, make two or more new one instead. If special top secret info is in weight map attached to point, then deleting polygon using that point, is no problem. But if info is in per-polygon vertex map (like CC Edge Weighting), then it's gone after deleting polygon.

Surprisingly- you are making little sub-patch let's say 1mm per 1 mm in some not visible by camera detail, which will generate as much polygons as maybe 1/3 of car door. And you don't care about it. And here you see it, and have problem. Maybe I should turn that option off, you won't see internal lines, and you won't have problem with density.. ;)

prometheus
07-26-2012, 07:20 AM
I want nurbs, but as to what Ivé heard it will be to slow in current lightwave?

Your thoughts about nurbs Sensei?

Michael