PDA

View Full Version : Rendering

Airwaves
07-20-2012, 12:10 PM
Does anyone know where a beginner can get tutorials or explanations of how to render in Lightwave? I have lightwave 11 and I was just moving a camera in a scene and the clouds came out all funny and fuzzy. I then did the render again but this time I saw that Microsoft compression box and I did full which made the file really large but it came out great.

Do the files always come out that large to keep the quality? Thanks

Cageman
07-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Not sure I understand what you are doing... it sounds like you are rendering to an AVI?

Airwaves
07-20-2012, 12:17 PM
Yes, I am rendering to an AVI. What is the best way? I am very new to this and I even tried the storyboard but I do not know how to make them into a movie. Any suggestions?

nickdigital
07-20-2012, 02:56 PM
Render to an image sequence first and then compile the frames into a movie file.

ccclarke
07-20-2012, 04:45 PM
You have no doubt discovered how large even the simplest animation can be when rendered through Lightwave.

As posted, you need to output all of your rendered frames to a single folder. I keep a Frames folder in each project folder with Rev # attached.

Once you create the finished frames, you'll need to use After Effects, Premier, Final Cut Pro, FrameCycler or a host of other compilers to create a smaller animation file. You don't have to use the latest and greatest version of these programs to do this, so it need not be overly expensive.

Just go to the Render tab<Render Globals<Output tab. Check the Save RGB button, and under the Type drop-down menu, select your preferred file format. (PNG24 is pretty good, but one of many formats.) The RGB Files button will set the saved file path and then create a file name that will be applied to the rendered frames in the adjacent input field. Open you compiler program and in most file openers, select Import. Click on the first frame file, and all frames should load into the program sequentially. (Each program's Import scenario is different, so my overview is a generalization.)

CC :thumbsup:

Andy Meyer
07-20-2012, 04:47 PM
if you really need to render an AVI instead of an image sequence try using the Lagarith Codec: http://lags.leetcode.net/codec.html.
it's a free AVI codec you can use in any app. Lagarith makes lossless compression. 100% same quality as uncompressed files but smaller file size (50%-80% smaller files).

Airwaves
07-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Thank you everyone, this is really helpful. I think I will try the frames and I have also been looking at getting some adobe products like after effects and premier so they will be able to do it for me.

I have one last question that does not quite pertain to this but as far as frames per second should I use the default 30 or go to 24 frames?
I am making little shows that teach 2nd grade math to students and I do not know what the difference would be or if it is just preference. Thanks

Ryan Roye
07-20-2012, 11:53 PM
I like virtualdub (http://www.virtualdub.org/) (free, lightweight program) for compiling image sequences into video. Drag-n-drop functionality, easy to see results in full detail/speed (unlike when doing it directly in lightwave), full control over output, easily edit what frames you want to compile, chop up your video, etc.

I mention that because not all video editing software has these capabilities, including the package I use.

You can compile an image sequence into video directly in Lightwave... but I don't really recommend it as its tedious to do in comparison to other methods:

-Open a blank scene

-Windows >> Compositing options >> Background Image >> (load your first image)

-Click on Image Editor (upper left part of interface)

-Highlight the name of your image in the left column, and on the right column set the "image type" to "sequence" (when you move around the timeline and hit f9, notice the image that renders corresponds with the current frame number)

-Render video with desired settings

BeeVee
07-22-2012, 08:40 AM
I have one last question that does not quite pertain to this but as far as frames per second should I use the default 30 or go to 24 frames?

If nothing else, it means you are saving the rendering time taken by six images a second. It all depends on how you will be showing the animations to your class. If you are merely showing them an anim from your computer, there's nothing to stop you from even going lower than 24. The reason that those two values have "stuck" (and 25 fps in Europe) is that 24 is the framerate for film, 30 (29.97 really) is for NTSC TV and 25 for PAL. AVI and Quicktime can play back at other rates though.

B

Andy Meyer
07-22-2012, 04:38 PM
if you show the animation on computers, thats what i expect, then you should use 30 frames as most computer displays have a refresh rate of 60 frames a second. the same for NTSC tv screens. for super smooth animation you could go for 60 fps, but in most cases this is over shot. depending on your animation you are good with 15 fps. just use 1/1, 1/2 or 1/4 of the refresh rate from the expected display device.

30 fps is also best for youtube and other internet videos.

if you plan to release your videos on dvd/blueray then have an eye on the dimension of the animation. aspect ration 16:9 (16 width, 9 height)... like: 1920x1080 / 1280x720 / 960x540 / 640x360...

Philbert
07-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Rendering frames has other benefits too. If you crash or need to stop during the render you can pick up where you left off. I think frames also work better in apps like After Effects.

Ryan Roye
07-22-2012, 06:12 PM
30 fps is also best for youtube and other internet videos.

This... also note that because 5, 10, and 15 fps are all divisibles of 30, those framerates should work just as well.

Additional Notes:

You will find that there are certain frames per second settings that are better to use because of how video codecs work. Always make sure that your FPS in Lightwave is divisible by the codec's framerate. IE: if your AVI movie's FPS is 8, then compiling the movie in 24 FPS will retain the 8 fps playback.

... stuff like the above makes me wish compiling good video was a simpler and more straightforward process, heh.