PDA

View Full Version : MoCap feet problems <<<

Remoc
07-18-2012, 01:50 AM
Hello fellow Lightwavers,

I need a way of stabilizing my feet on rig driven by MoCap data.
I use a XBox Kinect with IPI Motion Capture Software.
I retarget the resulting .BVH motion data within Animeeple then
import into Lightwave 11. I have attached a picture of the rig ( with bone names ) I have been using. And an example of where the feet go through the ground plane.

I need a better bone rig where I can still apply my motion data but have easy
( and overriding ) control of the feet.
But I must keep the displayed leg bones & their exact names for retargeting ease.

Or maybe the solution is a combination of motion modifiers, goals or targets?

I would prefer to build the fix into my Master Rig & then apply motion for new scenes.

With motion capture it is extremely quick to produce to produce an animation, I use motionmixer to control hand poses, and morph maps for the face. I waste way to much of my time manually bending toes, or moving the model on the Y axis due to feet problems.

Please help.

PS I realize the rollerblade feet makes this problem worse, but I also have characters with ordinary ( but large ) feet that still suffer the same problem.

Remoc

RebelHill
07-18-2012, 03:21 AM
Im assuming you've see all my fbx vids n stuff, so you're up on the whole deal of exchange, retargeting, etc.

Assuming all thats good, then what you're getting is just basic ol foot slide, very common with mocap, ad a near certainty with iPi. For cleaning it up you basically ened to delete the keys during the slide moments, and lock the feet down with IK for those sections.

You can do this in animeeple, though its not particularly intuitive. IKB in layout will give you a quick enough tool for doing this... delete some keys, set fix/bake points... bake away. Or, ofc... you can use RHiggit pro which contains a mocap edit rig just for this sort of thing, cleanup as wel as whole body animation override or additional animation.

Thems your options without using some other soft.

SplineGod
07-18-2012, 03:34 AM
I would also go with IKB. I use this quite a bit for dealing with mocap and its built into LW.
Once you apply IKB to your rig setting the bake spots is quite easy.

stevecullum
07-18-2012, 06:32 AM
I would also go with IKB. I use this quite a bit for dealing with mocap and its built into LW.
Once you apply IKB to your rig setting the bake spots is quite easy

I've also been wondering about using IKB to deal with mocap foot slide etc... I can't remember the way it work though - when IKB is applied it has it own timeline right? So any fixes you do will override any existing key frames?

RebelHill
07-18-2012, 08:18 AM
IKB has its own "sorta" timeline... but it places its keys in LWs regular channels/graph/timeline when you key stuff. For footslide fixing you can basically check out the walk tut SG posted t'other week, set the ankles to fixed (ikstop at hips), set their bake spots (the timeslices they're in contact) and hit bake (rather than autobind here), and it'll key over the existing with the fixed foot positions for those defined chunks, the result, ofc, still being full FK keys on bones

Its been a while for me, and thats all just a rough, so check with SG for exact steps.

stevecullum
07-18-2012, 01:27 PM
IKB has its own "sorta" timeline... but it places its keys in LWs regular channels/graph/timeline when you key stuff. For footslide fixing you can basically check out the walk tut SG posted t'other week, set the ankles to fixed (ikstop at hips), set their bake spots (the timeslices they're in contact) and hit bake (rather than autobind here), and it'll key over the existing with the fixed foot positions for those defined chunks, the result, ofc, still being full FK keys on bones

Its been a while for me, and thats all just a rough, so check with SG for exact steps.

Thanks, I'll take a look at that. Do you know which forum section the tut got posted under?

SplineGod
07-18-2012, 02:35 PM
I've also been wondering about using IKB to deal with mocap foot slide etc... I can't remember the way it work though - when IKB is applied it has it own timeline right? So any fixes you do will override any existing key frames?

You have the standard timeline and directly above you have the dopetrack. In IKB mode the dopetrack really becomes the IKB Track because the menus change while in IKB Mode and just above that is a dark bar which is used in a similar way that the horizontal tacks in the dopesheet are used. You can slide the timing by clicking down a marker and all the keys to the left or right of it can be slid one way or the other. This is effected by the keyframe mode. So if youre in child mode, you click on the shoulder and slide the keys, ALL the timing in that characters arm down to the fingers will be moved. Basically the time, dopetrack (in IKB Mode) and the dark IKB track give most of the functionality of the dopesheet without having to use the dopesheet.
You set bakespots to indicate where and when you want something to stick at some time. The bake spots can be edited, deleted, stretched moved etc. Once you do that make sure to FIX the nodes that should be stuck. You can then use the rebake all command to bake all the spots at once. You can also just forego the bakespots and simply right click and drag thru the range you want in the dopetrack and use the bake keys command. It will do the same thing but just for the current selected range. The node must also be Fixed. Also when baking, set the keyframe Mode to Current.
Binding and Baking are related and can use the same bakespots. Baking assumes that the characters root is in motion and at some time you want something like the hand or foot to stick. Binding assumes that Root is stationary and that the extremities are moving and you want the extremity to stick but the root or body move forward. You can see an example of binding in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf9zIdMC2MU&feature=plcp

stevecullum
07-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Many thanks for the comprehensive reply! I'll be sure to experiment with this. :)

SplineGod
07-18-2012, 03:51 PM
No problem. If you need some clarification feel free to skype me or check your PM. :)