PDA

View Full Version : Vote For SpeedTree support within Lightwave

prometheus
07-15-2012, 04:12 PM
Well, i think houdini was the first to be supported followed by Maya and in Februari this year the speedtree developers added support for cinema3d.

Hurry guys, vote for speedtree support within Lightwave( before Modo gets it:)), after all..this is one of the vegetation tools used for Avatar, and it should be fitting to join that technology within the tools of all the new virtual stuff developed since Rob Powers went onboard.

I can see some obstacles thou like..

1.SpeedTree itself being very expensive
2.Sdk?
3.The customer base and interest from the Lightwave community isnīt enough.
4. SpeedTree developers might not have interest in adding support for various reasons.

the high amount of requests from cinema4d users, might be one reason they added that support, but maybe not the only one.

http://www.awn.com/news/motion-graphics/speedtree-v611-provides-support-cinema-4d

About SpeedTree...
http://www.speedtree.com/showcase/

zapper1998
07-15-2012, 06:06 PM
If Newtek was Smart they would call these people up and ask them for support of Lightwave..
Daaaaaaa ... Ya Think ...

Its only Money... Right ... In there pocket ... Hello ...

prometheus
07-15-2012, 07:19 PM
I think foremost it is a question of how many within the lightwave community that are interested in it, pros as semi users and most valid..studios.

So it needs to be raised a big request from a lot of us, then I think Rob Powers himself could be a powerful contact if he does an inquiry towards them., with the basis of what he achieived with environments and virtual cams for the VAD and Avatar, he can surely put some Powers:) behind his word, but he should have a strong backup from us in the community too.

Latest Lw version and Itīs acheivments should be a good convincing tool as well.

I do not think that Lightwave will do lesser if they got a good support with that wonderful amazing speed tree and all itīs dynamics as well as modeling features for trees.

I read somewhere how well they established a pipeline with Lightwave and vue when working with Avatar, but it didnīt come through to me how come that was etc.

But that is a different thing thou, I wonder thou how they approached the whole environment assets creation, and where they did decide to go for modeling parts in Lightwave, and where they used it in final shots and where it got switched in to speed tree and where it got switched to vue trees.

Michael

prometheus
07-15-2012, 07:28 PM
You might think that speed tree with its realtime creation and realtime interface would be sweet in conjuction with virtual sets inside lightwave, but that might be a little off depending on whatīs translated over to Lightwave through export etc.

Michael

Darth Mole
07-16-2012, 06:42 AM
SpeedTree Studio is brilliant, but at just shy of $900 (not counting the addition of tree models), it's outside most users' budget. I was amazed it got C4D support before LW - who the hell uses C4D for anything but motion graphics? Some arch-viz maybe? Sure as hell wouldn't use it for long-form animations.

Adding native LW support can't be a serious task - though fortunately FBX import is relatively painless to make work in LW. You just need a bit of faffing about with maps, alphas etc. Native export would be lovely, but I think this has to be one for NewTek rather than SpeedTree.

Cageman
07-16-2012, 06:47 AM
I thought this was funny:

"Imported trees are faithfully interpreted for use by any of Maya's native renderers, including mental rayŪ."

Maya has one native renderengine, and that one hasn't been developed since v6.0.... :D

juice
07-16-2012, 12:43 PM
I thought this was funny:

"Imported trees are faithfully interpreted for use by any of Maya's native renderers, including mental rayŪ."

Maya has one native renderengine, and that one hasn't been developed since v6.0.... :D

ViewportRender is very awesome render-engine, developed by Autodesk!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJNF7CZ-VjI
not sure if you know it, but if you work for feature-film-animation or previz studio for feature film, Newtek has nothing to compete with it!! The VPR is great, but is more something you can use for shader and light setup... and with Viewport2.0 you can render full shots in any resolution... with vpr actually you can only save one picture ...

prometheus
07-16-2012, 02:43 PM
I was amazed it got C4D support before LW - who the hell uses C4D for anything but motion graphics? Some arch-viz maybe? Sure as hell wouldn't use it for long-form animations.

From what I have seen around vfx production, cinema4d has taken more and more effects job for Movies, latest Prometheus where it seems used extensivly form modeling the juggernaut ship and some other assets, also used for modeling terrain landscape it seems.

Cinema4 seems to have an upperhand with some tools like TurbulenceFD wich is more intergrated than in Lightwave, particle advection is missing for lightwave, but I think that will come in next updates thou.

Cinema has nurbs, and history so you can go in and change curves and deformers at any time to reshape your models, sort what was is planned with Lightwave core tech.

Lots a more things in there, so I donīt understand your "who the hell" thoughts:)
I myself is seriously looking in to cinema4d too, or modo.

with vpr actually you can only save one picture ...

Wrong, you can save out animations directly from VPR with either setting the preview in the animation tab to either avi, quicktime(32bit only) or simple image sequence formats.
And you set the resolution by going to the preference tab and preferably undock preview window, there you can set custom camera resolution or just use camera resolution.

Vpr need to have these option merged in one window thou, like viper has, with direct replay, and a seperate vpr free float window if you choose that from any viewport, that will save system resources too I think, and you can work in alll four viewports if needed and see results in separate window.
The viewport approach for VPR can still be retained, VPR float would just be addition to it.

Michael

juice
07-16-2012, 03:30 PM
... if it is not possible to set a render-resolution, it is more something like a playblast!! So it dont is usefull for final rendering like fprime-render or viewport render ;-)

rustythe1
07-16-2012, 04:05 PM
well i been using speedtree for a while, ive never had to mess with the textures when sending to fbx, these images were done with trees that were just as they came, even had the bump maps, work great with instancing,

prometheus
07-16-2012, 04:25 PM
... if it is not possible to set a render-resolution, it is more something like a playblast!! So it dont is usefull for final rendering like fprime-render or viewport render ;-)

If youre not talking image resolution, but vpr refinement resolution, that
is true to a sort of extent.

you have draft and final, and canīt stop in between, Vpr isnīt intended for final renders, it is an interactive renderer mostly for tweaking and for doing previews as close as possible.

I would like to se a refinement too with Vpr as with FPRime if possible.

Using VPR can be useful anyway for certain volumetric effects that do not need full AA and that can be scaled up and smoothed that way.

well i been using speedtree for a while, ive never had to mess with the textures when sending to fbx, these images were done with trees that were just as they came, even had the bump maps, work great with instancing,

That could be great looking with some more tweaking in lighting and volumetric atmospheres, tune it down (to much density I think)and perhaps change angle of volumetrics, here is a problem with Lightwave real world volumetrics, this seem to be a distant or linear light for volumetrics, and for those we have to set them up manually in approximation, not as it should bee like in vues volumetric and sunlight engine.

A true volumetric sunlight is needed for more correct angles and atmosphere behavior, then we are getting close.

I think If Newtek start to incorporate more real world atmospheres,lighting and nature tools, that would be some convincing toolset
to show for third party developers/plugins like speed tree, same if you could develop the Bullet dynamics engine to work in conjunction with dynamics from SpeedTree, but that might be completly off the charts of what is possible as far as I know.

Michael

Netvudu
07-17-2012, 11:44 AM

sorry for derailing the thread a bit, but...are you serious?? I mean, are you really trying to even compare Viewport 2.0 not just with VPR but with any half-capable renderer?

Maybe a few years ago I might have fallen for this. Guys, for anyone not having tried Maya, please donīt get confused. Viewport 2.0 is nothing but a glorified OpenGL pumped by Autodesk to sell some licenses on a no-features new version of Maya (it came on the infamous 2012 version that swore to incorporate DMM while it was only a demo...2013 is even less featured by the way).

silviotoledo
07-19-2012, 06:32 PM
I read somewhere Avatar 2 and Avatar 3 is comming

So, if they will use Lightwave in visualization SpeedTree is really necessary!

I hope to use speedtree soon in my project.

prometheus
07-19-2012, 09:21 PM
I read somewhere Avatar 2 and Avatar 3 is comming

So, if they will use Lightwave in visualization SpeedTree is really necessary!

I hope to use speedtree soon in my project.

Well they figured it out in the first Avatar, so it should work the same without speedtree support ..right?

But I guess, they got to pick some other artists this time since Rob Needs to work on team Lightwave:) and that might mean other software for previz but if they Use it for other things than previz, that might be a boost up from always hearing, Lightwave used for Previz,
Then again, that is an extremly important part of filmmaking too, but it doesnīt look as fancy in vfx articles when the final product is showcased

Michael

silviotoledo
07-20-2012, 04:48 PM
once lightwave is not popular anymore, the plugins goes to Maya, Xsi and Max always :). That's a problem in beeing a Lightwave user.

prometheus
07-20-2012, 04:56 PM
once lightwave is not popular anymore, the plugins goes to Maya, Xsi and Max always :). That's a problem in beeing a Lightwave user.

That wasnt always the case, and that is a challenge Newtek has in front of them.

Personally I think it looks promising in development, but it takes quite some time for them to advance, depends how much They will spend in resources of hiring good skilled people I guess, as well as to whom they hire, and head managing of how to pursue development.

But everything is a puzzle that needs to come together all pieces at once, that includes marketing etc.

Michael

silviotoledo
07-21-2012, 04:36 AM
Speedtree support team answered:

I'm afraid we don't have much experience with Lightwave yet, but SpeedTree Cinema and Studio both have fully featured FBX exporters. Have you tried using our trial versions with Lightwave? We've found that no two DCC apps import our FBX files the same way, so we add scripts to each app to fill in the gaps (except C4D, where we export their native format). Those scripts are all that's missing from Lightwave at the moment.

- Chris King

So, Newtek must do something :)

silviotoledo
07-21-2012, 04:37 AM
If weightmaps will be correctly exported from FBX, then we would be able to animate wind on leaves.

3dhotshot
08-13-2018, 05:15 PM
i AM GUESSING THIS IS A DEAD END and once again Newtek does nothing to help ?

3dhotshot
08-15-2018, 08:04 AM
SpreedTree Cinema Does export animated meshes with wind data successfully to Lightwave 2015.3 .... :foreheads

paulk
08-16-2018, 09:21 AM
SpreedTree Cinema Does export animated meshes with wind data successfully to Lightwave 2015.3 .... :foreheads

So, does this mean Lightwave 2015.3 is a plug-in for Lightwave 2018?

3dhotshot
08-16-2018, 05:35 PM
Lol --->> I guess you are right for some stuff or workflows ---->> but I am sure this works for 2018 as well ?

3dhotshot
08-18-2018, 09:15 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4izhwxKKsM

Core: Reads the SRT file format, providing coordinates, texcoords, tangents, billboard data, LOD data, materials & texture filenames, and collision objects. Also provides run-time wind management, coordinate system conversions, an allocator interface, error reporting, and licensing. Core is a portable class, compilable with most C++ compilers.
Forest: Dependent on Core, the Forest library handles management of dynamic forests containing potentially millions of trees. It houses highly optimized culling & LOD systems in addition to dynamic grass and terrain systems great for rapid prototyping. It also provides systems to manage forest-level wind. Like Core, Forest is portable with no graphics-API dependencies.
Render Interface: Dependent on Forest, the Render Interface library makes abstract graphics calls to efficiently render the forest, complete with shader loads, state changes, efficient vertex buffer rendering, shadows, lighting, and more. The Render Interface makes calls to empty graphics wrappers, making it portable.
Rendering Classes: Dependent on Render Interface, the rendering classes contain platform-specific graphics implementations, filling out the graphics interfaces defined by the Render Interface library. Filling out the abstract interface is all that is required to adopt a new graphics API. Interface classes include classes that manage texture, shaders, shader constants, vertex/index buffer objects, and render state changes.

What Files Will I Need?
At its most basic level, the SpeedTree SDK is organized like any other SDK or middleware offering. You'll need to be able to include the SDK header files, link to its libraries and, in the case of DLLs, make sure that the correct DLL(s) are in your binary path or copied next to your application's executable. Static libraries are also included.

In a default installation (notated here as “[SDK]/”), the key SDK files needed for an integration are located as noted below:

Include Files: Modify your include path to contain [SDK]/Include/.
Library Files: Modify your library path to contain [SDK]/Lib/[PLATFORM]. [PLATFORM] may be anything from Windows/VS2012.x64/ to Orbis/ or 360/.
Binary Files: To harness the SpeedTree binaries (unless you're using the static libraries), under Windows you should either add [SDK]/Bin/[PLATFORM] to your path variable or copy the needed DLLs into the same folder as your application's executable. Which DLLs you'll need depends on your level of integration.