PDA

View Full Version : Are clips 'created' or 'referenced'?

andeke07
07-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Hello,

I am wondering if someone can perhaps enlighten me on a question. For a project we are doing, we are hoping to be able to take replays of our University's hockey game broadcast and then get them on to our website as soon as possible (this is all just a concept for us at the moment).

We will more than likely be using the 3Play to accomplish this. What I am wondering, is, while the 3Play is doing its thing, does it create separate clips of each replay created (a la EVS) or does it simply reference various times of a main recording?

If it does create a separate clip of every replay, could someone speak to the details of the clip i.e. encoding etc?

If it does not do that sort of functionailty, would anyone have any suggestions as to a workflow that could facilitate this?

kanep
07-12-2012, 08:31 PM
During your replay it the clips it creates are referenced from the file is the continuously being recorded. It isn't breaking that up into multiple physical clips as your press in/out.

Once you are finished with your replay session, you can use the export tool (3PLAY 425/820) to export out clips in different formats (MPEG-2, H.264, Quicktime, AVI). You can also export out of a 3PLAY 330 unit as well, but I believe it will only export MPEG-2 files.

andeke07
07-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Thanks. I had a feeling that might be the procedure.

We're looking for a way to upload the replay clips as quickly as possible after the action (not after the game). Perhaps we should look into some form of recorder to record the output of the 3play for transfer to an editing station.

brians0105
07-12-2012, 10:54 PM
I think using the 3Play export functions will work perfectly fine for what you're wanting to do.

Simply make a playlist of the clips you want to export to your website. You can do some simple editing with altering speeds, adding dissolves, changing audio channels, etc. With the 425 and 820, you can either export them as individual clips or as one combined/edited clip. Then upload that to your website.

They seem to export their native MPEG-2 the quickest, but the 425 and 820 have a lot of presets built in for web-ready files, Avid, Final Cut, etc. It is very quick at converting the exports to these formats.

kanep
07-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Our TriCaster 8000 system (not yet shipping) has the ability to upload clips to Facebook, YouTube or FTP while production continues.

Perhaps if you are looking for an upgraded switcher then this could be the solution for it all?

Kane

Thanks. I had a feeling that might be the procedure.

We're looking for a way to upload the replay clips as quickly as possible after the action (not after the game). Perhaps we should look into some form of recorder to record the output of the 3play for transfer to an editing station.