PDA

View Full Version : Morph baased on Y distance

marchermitte
07-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Hello! I'm trying to setup a morph based on the Y distance from a null. I'm trying to make my character's feet react to the floor. I did 2 morphs, one per foot, and everytimes the foot is reaching the floor distance on the y axis, I'd like to control It with a gradient and have the foot slightly enlarge sideways.
I know the setup for a moph based on the distance from a null (in all 3 directions) but I can't figure out how to do it based on the Y axis only/

Thank you!

Dexter2999
07-12-2012, 02:05 PM
Try using "Follow" on the expression tab of the Graph Editor?

SplineGod
07-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Go to object properties/deform/normal displacement.
Change it from normal displace to morphmap and choose your map.
You can now apply a gradient texture based on Y Disttance to a null or other object
to drive the morph.

marchermitte
07-12-2012, 07:14 PM
Smart!
I was so much into the node editor that I missed that one!
Thank you Larry!

SplineGod
07-12-2012, 07:33 PM
I like the node editor but its hard to justify using it all the time when there are easier ways to do things :)

Sensei
07-12-2012, 11:43 PM
I know the setup for a moph based on the distance from a null (in all 3 directions) but I can't figure out how to do it based on the Y axis only/

I know Larry answered already, but here is nodal way:

Tools > Vector Scalar, pick up Y Channel from drop down, repeat with second vector (or use TrueArt's Node Library > Tools > Split Vector node), Math > Scalar > Subtract on both, then Math > Scalar > Abs, if it has to work in both directions (positive and negative Y). Output treat the same way as you would get Math > Vector > Distance..

If you want to use Math > Vector > Distance, you can - just use Math > Vector > Multiply by 0,1,0 it will get ride of X and Z axes, leaving just Y, and Distance node will work similar way to Subtract and Abs together.

marchermitte
07-13-2012, 09:44 AM
Thank you! Two options are far better than one, plus I like to understand how to do It.
Thank you to both of you!