PDA

View Full Version : Multiple lights in modeler

serious bender
10-27-2003, 11:32 AM
I've been doing a lot of reading on Nichimen's Mirai lately, mainly due to hanging out at Bay Raitt's Spiraloid forum (Bay is WETA's lead sculptor for Gollum's face, and used to be with Nichimen - he's a 'famous' Mirai user).

My question is this. Can you use multiple light sources in Modeler as you model? This allows you get a better feel for your model's organic appearance from multiple angles as it will look when it's animated/lit/rendered.

Thanks

gjjackson
10-28-2003, 06:55 AM
There aren't any lights actually, in modeler. There part of animation and since the two are separate there's no configuration in modeler, to my knowledge.

organzero
10-28-2003, 05:33 PM
Having controllable model lights would be very nice for those of us who deal with shapes according to the way light falls over them. =)

serious bender
10-28-2003, 07:33 PM
Exactly.

mattclary
10-29-2003, 05:41 AM
In the perspective view in Modeler, the light always stays in the same position relative to your viewpoint. So when you rotate the view, you are, in effect, rotating the camera and light.

Rotate the the view until the light shines where you want it.

Matt
10-29-2003, 07:05 AM
Go one further and have a popup gadget with pre-defined and custom lighting presets so you can switch between them to check your model.

serious bender
10-29-2003, 09:50 AM
The problem with rotating it is that it's not the different character angle I'm looking for necessarily, but different light angles. I may want to view my model straight on, but have the lights coming from the side, or having multiple lights in a key/rim setup, etc., while still viewing my character from whatever angle.