PDA

View Full Version : How would you animated a coat on a character?

vncnt
07-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Bones, ClothFx or both?
Why?

RebelHill
07-09-2012, 02:41 PM
A mix of both.

Cloth because bones alone don't look very good and are really very difficult to animate convincingly. Bones because LWs cloth is really quite poor for more intricate stuff like this, and getting fully cloth simmed areas around shoulders and arms will be pretty near impossible.

So Id bone up the main fitted portions of the coat, and sim the loose/hanging parts.

SplineGod
07-09-2012, 04:34 PM
It really depends on how the jacket is designed and how realistic the motion needs to be. A tighter fitting jacket can be done using mainly bones. Hanging and loose areas you can do using either clothfx or bone dynamics using IKB. Bone dynamics in IKB are somewhat like clothfx for bones. It also has something called dynamic effect which is something like softfx for bones. Also it can depend on how dense the jacket mesh is. You may have to use a simpler proxy object that has clothfx and then the higher rez jacket is metalinked to it or you can cut out parts of the jacket that are loose, animate those with clothfx then apply the mdd file back onto the jacket using "node matching" in the clothfx panel. Sometimes its also easier to parent a bunch of collision spheres to the characters bones to create collisions rather then use the main character as a collison object.

vncnt
07-12-2012, 03:52 AM
Ok, thanks guys for your replies.
I will experiment with every suggestion.

Greenlaw
07-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Everything the guys said above. Here's one more option if you're looking for an easy solution:

When we did the Star Wars Kinect cinematics last year, we used SoftFX on the Jawas' robes. We had very little time so we needed a reliable 'set it and forget it' solution and SoftFX actually worked out well here. It's certainly not the most realistic 'cloth' solution but it was simple to set up and it looked better than bones-only deformations. (Actually, in this case we applied SoftFX to .mdd data from Maya, but it would work the same way with bones animation in Lightwave.) You can see the results at the beginning of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0R0Y0QSv6w

G.

jasonwestmas
07-13-2012, 07:53 AM
For lightwave, I would forget about simulating animated folds that look realistic and just add a realistic (sculpted) displacement map especially if this is more of a comic book game style and not meant to be a closeup for a photo-realistic video. Then add a simple simulation to the displaced geometry.

I'm just thinking out-loud but honestly I think your time would be better spend on making the surfacing and geometry look really nice verses worrying about super-realistic cloth simulations in lightwave.

Ryan Roye
07-13-2012, 01:31 PM
If the effect is subtle (IE: making the coat move to soft wind), you can utilize endomorphs.

erikals
07-14-2012, 01:24 AM
what RebelHill said...
use weights to adjust it...

vncnt
07-14-2012, 10:48 AM
In this first test I tried to keep certain control of the basic movement using Bones and additional ClothFX and WindFX.

The secret is to use a small value for Hold structure to prevent the cloth from being controlled too much by Gravity.

vncnt
07-27-2012, 01:39 AM
Im curious how LW11.5 will handle this.

erikals
07-27-2012, 06:43 AM
me too, hard to say... not sure how good Bullet SB is overall...

i'm a bit worried it will look too simple, as it's not actually cloth simulation, but softbodies...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS1AhZP7io4