PDA

View Full Version : newer shots,

wellsichris
07-09-2012, 10:53 AM
I tend to not post much but I wanted to show some shots, this one is for saints and soldiers airborne creed, you can see it in the trailer,

much instancing,

http://www.chriswellsfx.com/demo/crash264.mov

I even used bullet to help solve the dirt break up

http://www.chriswellsfx.com/demo/crashsim.mov

wellsichris
07-09-2012, 10:56 AM
and then here's a jungle I did, originally it had a helicopter, and the idea was one helicopter was following another, so that's why it's a little bouncy/shaky,

I redid the shot with LW native instancing to see how they would hold up, originally it was done with HDinstance, anyway, there's more I would like to do to it, but all things considered I think it is fun and LW instancing worked well, so its' all CG except the sky background.

http://www.chriswellsfx.com/demo/jungle264.mov

p.s. they are all 1080p so pretty big :)

wellsichris
07-09-2012, 11:02 AM
decided I better do a 720 version so people with lower rez monitors can see it

http://www.chriswellsfx.com/demo/jungle720.mov

http://www.chriswellsfx.com/demo/crash720.mov

OnlineRender
07-09-2012, 12:03 PM
quality!

cagey5
07-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Very, very nice. What did you use for the tracking?

sudac20
07-09-2012, 01:23 PM
very nice

wellsichris
07-09-2012, 01:37 PM
thanks for the positive remarks, so the tracking was syntheses, which I highly recommend,

shrox
07-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Sweet. Show more often.

monovich
07-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Yes. Very nice. Please show more often.

prometheus
07-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Great comping in the first mov.

sky environments in Lw is hard, I think you might have too strong sunglare overall in the shot thou.
otherwise it looked very good, the waterfall was nice, how did you do that?
some harder detailed cliffs would be nice with such waterfalls.

Michael

wellsichris
07-09-2012, 10:34 PM
yeah I"m a sucker for glare, the waterfall was done in fusion, I fbx'd the camera to fusion, with a world position pass render, so I could place it exactly where I wanted, then I made a particle setup in fusion: emitter, direction force, a couple of turbulences, etc.. I originally did it in LW, buy it just wasn't to my liking, and in fusion it's super fast to see what's happening,

a lot of the atmosphere is fusion position tools, I had around 6 so I could shape it exactly how I wanted, again originally I did it all in LW, with the cards, going up and down with motion blur for simulated patches of ground fog, which works, but render times, were to high and that also at times gave me some artifacts, so I ended up just doing all that in fusion as well.

I'm really hoping we can get motion vectors working with instances, because that will be a huge deal for me. cleaning up noise, and adding motion blur, but I did like having most the buffers available for the instances, where HD instances don't, of course HD instance is still faster in the tests I've done by a solid amount.

so here's another shot, not perfect but does have some fun stuff, much HDinstance :)

http://www.chriswellsfx.com/demo/village.mov
http://www.chriswellsfx.com/demo/village720.mov

I should make note, in that last one, the building were modeled by AndyJaggy back in the day, and trees are either xfrog or vue trees saved out

kadri
07-10-2012, 03:12 AM
Great work! Especially the "crash264.mov" :)

prometheus
07-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Yeah, some tiling or artifacts on the trees, otherwise nice.

How would it work with an image backdrop when camera moves forward, I think you have skytracer backdrop? Personally I donīt like any cg generated backdrop from lightwave directly, no tool except ogo taiki could do that well I think, so not sure what you used thou.

I would love to see if you could set up a scene with cliffs and some more waterfalls, that pipeline you have for that water flowing out seems good, and it looks nice, I myself do not have fusion only after effects, but I doubt I could work that out within after effects as I believe fusion is much better with particles and 3d matching etc.

Michael

wellsichris
07-10-2012, 11:50 AM
the sky background in both the village and jungle is a picture, I haven't ever really gotten believable skies with sky tracer.

I do want to do a scene with more cliff like terrain, but for now it's just on a for fun list I have, so I haven't had time,

adk
07-10-2012, 07:51 PM
That's some wickedly good stuff Chris :thumbsup: some of the best instancing I've seen from LW in fact. Kudos !

Lewis
07-11-2012, 12:18 AM
Great rendering and tracking. Looks fully believable and if is not posted here but on some trailers/cinematics/regular forums nobody would question it is it 3d or real :) ;).

SquishyAni
07-11-2012, 12:53 AM
Nice to see these posted, Chris. Your work really is a prime example to the power of Lightwave and the talented artists behind it :thumbsup: Keep em coming!

lino.grandi
07-11-2012, 05:04 PM
I'm speechless! Awesome work!

Matt
07-11-2012, 05:08 PM
Chris check your PM!

shrox
07-11-2012, 05:12 PM
the sky background in both the village and jungle is a picture, I haven't ever really gotten believable skies with sky tracer.

I do want to do a scene with more cliff like terrain, but for now it's just on a for fun list I have, so I haven't had time,

I have been able to get some passable skies as a timelapse from Skytracer.

oliversimonnet
07-11-2012, 06:04 PM
Fantastic work!

Tobian
07-11-2012, 08:13 PM
That jungle scene is superb! Lovelly stuff!

Waves of light
07-12-2012, 02:35 AM
Chris, that is the mutts nuts. Really like the subtle wipe to show the wires.

The plane comp is superb... and as for the jungle scene, wow.

5 stars.

Ricky.

evolross
07-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Very nice. Great quality!

Iain
07-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Fantastic! Really high quality stuff :thumbsup:

prometheus
07-15-2012, 03:40 PM
The jungle scene is a great setup, however I can think of some stuff that could be enhanced, mainly the general terrain sculpting, and adding cliffs and rocks a little, overall the lighting and render of the vegetation is great, but I think there can not be more than two or three types of trees in there now?
If he could put in some of that bigger tropical tree type, it would be much much better.

If he could put some ozone or ogo taiki atmosphere with some good premade setting it would really rock, but perhaps rendertime would be to heavy too.

What I liked most of it was the actual water shooting out that was done in fusion.

some tree samples that I bellieve might work nicely to add.
http://xfrog.com/product/AF01.html

speed trees are quite awesome too..
http://www.speedtree.com/trees/?tree=thumbnails

Michael

wellsichris
07-15-2012, 09:58 PM
thanks for the feedback everyone!

Michael, yeah I am trying to think if I've ever had a shot, where I could say, it's perfect, there's nothing else I could do more. inevitably though, time/budget constraints, means I get it looking good and move on, there's just not enough time, I agree, with your feedback, and those are things, if time wasn't an issues I would add, I would also love to add people climbing the temple, some bird flying in the trees, maybe some animals, more vines growing in the jungle, there is much I would love to add, and maybe someday someone will hand me a big check and say, perfection, and I will be able to do that, the jungle and the crashed plane, the clients were supper happy with, the town, I did that in an evening, and the point of the exercise was fulfilled,

that's actually why I don't show much, I'm the biggest critic of my work, and I can't look at something without seeing the corners I cut, or what I would like to do more, anyway, I really only wanted to show these originally so people could see some of the work done with LW, and see what can be done. perfection, no, not the point, good stuff, yeah, I like to think so,

Chris

prometheus
07-15-2012, 10:41 PM
I sure understand that you need to stop at some point, these things are taking time to set up.no argue about tha,.impressive work anyway.

I started a thread regarding suggestions and topics of how to make lightwave
less of a pain to set up and work with Landscapes and atmospheres.

How is your thought about if you had acess to Letīs say vue?

I do not know if you ever tried it or so, Just curious of how much faster you could do the landscapes and vegetation, the general atmospherics and lighting I could easy say it is superior within vue.

We all know that vue is a very specific landscape dedicated tool designed solely for this purpose, and will therefore do a lot more faster and more realistic, but on the other hand it lacks all other specific tools and animation effects, so that is why I would like to see an approach to improve nature tools in Lightwave itself.

Generally, getting a better atmosphere environment than skytracer or having to resort to image backdrops, in the purpose of designing it exactly how you wish.

next to that, small additions to adding infinite grounds and water planes with premade surfaces.

and next to that, simple sculpting tools in layout and displacement drag and drop presets.

adding a native tree generator working in conjuction with instancing and spraying them sort of Like the sumatra plugin or veggipaint is also needed.

Thatīs half of it, getting each of the parts for creating terrain, water, trees and atmosphere and navigate in a UI would require a uniqe modul setup or menu setup where everything is acessable in a fast and UI friendly environment.

Heck we do not even got a proper sunlight with volumetrics with the same realistic behavior as vue has.(domelight 5% or 10% angle and with volumetric options)

I guess you could do wonderworks with that...if that time comes.

Michael

wellsichris
07-15-2012, 11:04 PM
I gave up on vue years ago. I own 6, but my experience with it back then was, slow, super slow, to get a renders without buzzing on a production schedule without a huge render farm was impossible. it does have some nice tools I wish we had in LW, some of the ones you mentioned, plus Zcoverage :)

that being said, render times, much better in LW, HDinstance, when I was doing tests, just spanked vue.. I hope native gets some speed boosts in that regard, setting up shading in LW, way better for me, and back then it' wasn't very stable. not sure if that has gotten better, vue almost seems like a running joke, as long as I can remember each release "this time works perfect in your 3dpackage" maybe it really does now, but I gave up a while ago. I really wanted it to work and banged my head against it a lot, but at the end of the day, when shots needed delivered, LW and HDinstance and now native instancing is what I use. and I hope some resources are put into making it even better for this type of thing :)

prometheus
07-16-2012, 01:49 AM
I gave up on vue years ago. I own 6, but my experience with it back then was, slow, super slow, to get a renders without buzzing on a production schedule without a huge render farm was impossible. it does have some nice tools I wish we had in LW, some of the ones you mentioned, plus Zcoverage :)

that being said, render times, much better in LW, HDinstance, when I was doing tests, just spanked vue.. I hope native gets some speed boosts in that regard, setting up shading in LW, way better for me, and back then it' wasn't very stable. not sure if that has gotten better, vue almost seems like a running joke, as long as I can remember each release "this time works perfect in your 3dpackage" maybe it really does now, but I gave up a while ago. I really wanted it to work and banged my head against it a lot, but at the end of the day, when shots needed delivered, LW and HDinstance and now native instancing is what I use. and I hope some resources are put into making it even better for this type of thing :)

Depends on how you set vue up I guess, Ive been testing vue 9 and it isnīt that bad in render times, if you compare to Lightwave, then you shouldnt even use volumetric model or spectral model in order to acheive same speed, then you also really need to learn custom settings off aa and other quality settings.

Clouds renders much fasters now than v6, but that is if you only use spectral
1 cloud layers and not the so called spectral 2 or 3 layers.

Infinite procedural terrains is something to be very careful about since that is a rendertime clogger.

But granted..Lightwave is most certainly much faster anyway for instanced vegetation, but very hard to compare the two.

but generally to set up a scene with much more landscape realism and complexity including atmospherics and lighting with fog,haze and air scattering..that is something I donīt think lightwave comes close to compared to vue...just the final rendertimes for higher quality that isnt up to par.

using ozone in lightwave...well I do not like ozone compared to vue, since you miss a lot of cloud control in ozone, and you can not move around with camera and tweak the atmosphere as in vue, since you can only tweak within the editor, then drop it and pick up VPR for test renders.

If You think vue is slow, forget all about terragen, that is horrible, both in previewing and in rendering.

Michael

Cageman
07-16-2012, 02:08 AM
Good stuff! :thumbsup:

kopperdrake
07-17-2012, 04:37 AM
Gob-smacked - for me especially the Me-109 comp, fantastic texturing on all of it really. I guessed the plane was CGI only because you were posting it here, but the grass in the foreground and the soil just blew me away. This sort of 'every day real' rather than the film industry's 'hyper-real' impresses me so much more because it's so much harder to do. Nice one :thumbsup:

wellsichris
07-17-2012, 09:29 AM
Thanks Guys, here's a screen grab of the shader setup, a lot of the work was painting in photoshop, but this still shows the dust/dirt setup, some of the scratches layered in, etc.