PDA

View Full Version : Sharpen a render?

DHudson
07-09-2012, 10:16 AM
hi- I was hoping I could get some help sharpening up my renders and making them look a little more realistic. I am attaching one here and some specs, let me know if you need more:
Classic, enhanced Antialiasing
shot as a XGA 1024 x 768
lens focal length: 24.0 mm, classic camera
Using Ray trace with the lights
3 area lights, 2 point lights and a spotlight
I have Raytrace Shadows, Reflections and Lines turned on.

Thank you so much for any help!
DHudson

biliousfrog
07-09-2012, 11:15 AM
What are you wanting to sharpen?

If you're looking for tips to make it look more realistic then you can probably simplify the lighting for starters. Get rid of the point and spot lights, place a single area light outside the window with a low value, inverse fall-off and blue-ish colour for sky-light, another much further away and a yellow colour to act as sunlight, then whatever you want as interior lights. Add radiosity for bounced light and you're almost there.

DHudson
07-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Thank you for responding biliousfrog :)

I now have only 3 lights in the scene. The 2 you suggested plus an interior Area light for fill.

I do have radiosity on set as Monticarlo with 1 indirect bounce and 32 rays per evaluation.

The scene still looks a little blurry to me. Any suggestions for what I can do to sharpen this up?

Thank you in advance,
DHudson

Dexter2999
07-09-2012, 01:03 PM
I think what you are interpreting as "blur" is the bounced light. Try a test and set the rays per evaluation to 4 and see if that addresses what you are talking about.

Also, are you using Global Illumination and if so what is that set to?

If you have adaptive sampling or dithering on, you may want to turn that off.

Hope this helps.

DHudson
07-09-2012, 05:28 PM
Wow- what a difference, thank you Dexter2999. I set Rays per Image down to 4 and got a really smudgy image. Set it up to 300 and lines are more defined.

I am using Global Illumination set to Monte Carlo. I have Enable Radiosity, Interpolated, Blur Background and Directional Rays checked.

Where do I find adaptive sampling and dithering?

Dexter2999
07-09-2012, 05:59 PM
adaptive sampling is under anti aliasing on your camera properties
dithering is on the processing tab (if you don't know where it is then it very likely isn't an issue)

What is your Ambient Intensity set to?

DHudson
07-09-2012, 10:14 PM
I do have adaptive sampling checked,but I could not see much difference when I unchecked it.

My Ambient Intensity is set to 4% and both Default Dithering Intensity and Dithering Intensity are set to Normal.

I am attaching the last render I made.

This forum has always been a wonderful help, thank you all so much.

Dexter2999
07-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Just guessing at this point.
If you have a fill light you may not need the Ambient Intensity. You could try turning it down to something like 0.5.

Silkrooster
07-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Boy you guys got me thinking. I am wondering if that has been my issue all these years. Most of my internal renders were splotchy.
Now I am going to have to check my settings.

akademus
07-10-2012, 12:08 AM
If you want to sharpen it externally, load the image in PS, duplicate the layer, filter-high pass, value 1-2 or simmilar, set as overlay.

DHudson
07-10-2012, 07:58 PM
I'm in good company if Silkrooster is possibly having the same trouble.

Thank you Akademis for that suggestion, I will try that now. :)