PDA

View Full Version : Ide?

xxiii
07-08-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm currently looking for a python IDE, and I'm wondering if there are any that would work particularly well with Lightwave, in particular, offering code completion and/or debugging with the Lightwave API?

xchrisx
07-09-2012, 11:07 AM
I highly doubt there is an IDE out right now that has code completion for LW's python unless someone custom made one due to how new and application specific the code completion would be. However, I too would love to know if there is a better solution as well. Currently I switch off between Eclipse and Wing IDE (both of which have free versions) but I would love to know if there is a better solution as well.

xxiii
07-09-2012, 10:42 PM
One of the IDEs I'm considering (I think its Wing IDE IIRC) can read "helper" files for libraries it doesn't already know about, so if there were a helper file for Lightwave (or one made) it should be able to do code completion, I think. Actually being able to run or debug the code (in the IDE) might be another story though.

I gather Python is actually linked into Lightwave? (not entirely sure how the glue happens when Python is being used as a scripting language for another application).

I'm actually looking for a Python IDE for other reasons, and am currently racked with indecision (and there aren't any up-to-date evaluations that I can find either). So, remembering that Lightwave does Python now, I thought I'd check here and see if anyone could tip the scales and/or know if using an IDE with an embedded Python (or whatever the appropriate terminology is) is even feasable.

Ok, just looked it up in Wing IDE; so here are the two points (bolded) that I'm wondering about feasability with Lightwave:

The information shown in Wing's auto-completer comes from several sources: (1) Static analysis of Python code, (2) introspection of extension module contents, (3) inspection of keywords and builtins in the active Python version, (4) introspection of the runtime application state when the debugger is active or when working in the shells, (5) enumeration of relevant code snippets, and in some cases (6) user-provided interface description files.

Additionally, it can be pointed at any python interpreter, so if there is one in the lightwave distribution (Hm, I see there is a python27.dll in Lightwave11.0\bin but no .exe) hm.... I suppose point 6 above is probably the way to go, then only use the IDE for editing? (Or maybe modeler/layout can be invoked as a python interpreter? (well I can think wishfully :))

(I'm also currently looking at (but not limited to) Komodo IDE, Pycharm, and Eclipse/PyDev (A.K.A. Aptana Studio); and as an outside chance if I can't decide, just an editor with syntax coloring; but I really want code completion/API-lookup and refactoring. If it also works with Lightwave, then all the better).

dulo
08-08-2012, 10:49 AM
For me the best IDE is pycharm ( on windows )
I loved resharper from jetbrains and now pycharm gives me some of the refactoring power of resharper under python.
I do own wingide too, but pycharm rulez for me.

walfridson
08-08-2012, 11:23 AM
eclipse + pydev, add path to lw eggs etc. should get code completion working.

dulo
08-08-2012, 11:40 AM
I use pycharm for python development in houdini. For houdini it works like a charm ..