PDA

View Full Version : Centapede set up?

objuan
07-08-2012, 05:04 AM
I have a start on a robotic centipede and I'd like help on how to rig it?

What I want is to just animate the legs on the 1st pede, and then have every leg follow that animation delayed a little in time. I know how to use Follower to set that up, but I really dont want to specifically target each leg piece and give it the proper delay x 4 x 100.

How do I make Leg 2, tell it to trail Leg 1 on every channel times Delay Slider - and then duplicate it a bunch of times and each new one knows to Delay Slider times its number?

---

Secondly, what is the best way to move this guy with kind of a wiggling curve? Ideally I'd like to just drag the head, and have the pedes kind of follow behind and conform to hills. Could just be flat too though as I imagine that is much simpler.

--

Finally, how can I give a bunch of duplicate pedes a 'world fractal noise texture' at frame 1, and then have that texture stick with them as they move?

Any tips would be much appreciated....
Thanks

RebelHill
07-08-2012, 05:35 AM
What you're describing, done in the manner you're describing, is gonna have only one option I can think of... nodal. As for the exact process of HOW, that's gonna take a lil thinking about...

I'll get back to ya if I come up with anything... in the meantime check out bryphi77 on YT, there's nothing there that'll just tell u how to do it, but a good few things that give you some starter ideas (train rig for instance).

Oh, but the world texture that then sticks... no can do (I dont THINK)... if a texture is in world space, then its in world space and sticks to world co-ords. maybe there's a lil hack that can be done nodally too, but nothing that springs to mind immediately.

Ryan Roye
07-08-2012, 10:18 AM
While I don't know if it'd solve your specific problem, Relativity expressions are definitely worth a look if you haven't already explored it:

With Relativity, you can set up an expression that nabs the parent bone's motions and offset them using a single mathematical equation (this assumes you set up the bone chain so that all legs are parented/childed to eachother). This means while you would still have to manually select each leg, all you'd be doing is copy/pasting the motion modifier rather than like with follower where you'd have to go into the dialogue each and every time. However, if you wanted to switch up the speed of the legs you'd need to put in a null controller and have relativity track it... or modify the expression to detect the overall movement of the object itself.

As for bending/moving the body... I agree that is a thinker... a lot of different ways to approach that; nodal isn't a bad idea.

objuan
07-10-2012, 12:23 AM
Thanks guys. Those Bryphi tuts look deep, as does the DP instance tools... Look forward to playing.

In the meantime, pretty sure I can rig my legs with Relativity, except I dont see how to get my objects instance number.

Is there a way I can call the instance number of my current object in my Relativity expression?

So the exact same expression on duplicated legs would say essentially:
RightThigh (2) = Follow RightThigh (1) + (Delay * 2)
RightThigh (3) = Follow RightThigh (1) + (Delay * 3)

Ryan Roye
07-10-2012, 09:23 AM
I have a lot to learn about relativity and haven't delved into its more advanced functions yet...

Check out this post... http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=102715&highlight=relativity+tail+rig

Every bone in the tail uses the same mathematical equation... only the first instance is ever used as reference. This will only take care of the legs though, you still have the issue of the body movement to figure out.

In any case, let us know if you come up with a solution that works for you, it is an interesting problem.