PDA

View Full Version : How to mix MDD

Greenlaw
07-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Hi,

Can somebody please show me how to mix .mdd files? Specifically, I need to replace frame 0 of a character .mdd with a T-Pose.

I have made an .mdd file of the character in T-Pose, and I have that file and the animation .mdd file loaded in the Node Editor but I haven't a clue what to do next. Just to be clear, I need to replace only frame 0 with the T-Pose and then have the rest of the animation be the animation.

Can anybody help me out? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Best,

Greenlaw

Greenlaw
07-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Okay, I think I have it. Need to do more tests to confirm.

Ryan Roye
07-06-2012, 07:03 PM
My solution would be:

-load 2 objects... the t-posed model and the MDD-animation model

-100% dissolve MDD animation at frame 0, and 0% dissolve at frame 1+

-0% dissolve t-posed at frame 0, and 100% dissolve at frame 1+

Greenlaw
07-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the tip.

What I need has to be a single object though...it's necessary for some dynamics and hair stuff I'm doing here. I thought I had something working by mixing a T-Pose MDD with Motion MDD in a test, but for some reason this isn't working as expected in an actual shot.

It sounds like now I might be getting MDDs with the T-Pose baked in, so I might have lucked out.

G.

Sensei
07-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Final vector = current position + offset (delta)

So

final vector 1 = current position + mdd1 delta
final vector 2 = current position + mdd2 delta

mixing vector can be done with Tools > Mixer

final vector = final vector 1 * opacity + final vector 2 * ( 1.0 - opacity )

but you need just 0 and 1

so

delta = mdd1 delta * 1 + mdd2 delta * 0
delta = mdd1 delta * 0 + mdd2 delta * 1

will be fine..

Celshader
07-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Hi,

Can somebody please show me how to mix .mdd files? Specifically, I need to replace frame 0 of a character .mdd with a T-Pose.

I have made an .mdd file of the character in T-Pose, and I have that file and the animation .mdd file loaded in the Node Editor but I haven't a clue what to do next. Just to be clear, I need to replace only frame 0 with the T-Pose and then have the rest of the animation be the animation.

Can anybody help me out? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Best,

Greenlaw

You can thank the brilliant Ken Nign for the following Node Editor hack to mix MDD files.

In the Node Displacement Editor, load the mdd files using the MDD Displacement node.
Add a Gradient node and make keys on this gradient node.
For each of the keys, activate "Show Output" to reveal their color channel inputs on the left side of the Gradient node.
Plug the MDDs into the Color channel inputs on the left side of the Gradient node. The "colors" are now overwritten with MDD data.
Add a Constant Scalar node and plug it into the Input of the Gradient node. Envelope this value to envelope the transition between the MDDs.

Celshader
07-06-2012, 08:12 PM
Just to be clear, I need to replace only frame 0 with the T-Pose and then have the rest of the animation be the animation.

For a super cheapie hack, plug the MDD into the blue of Vector Scale and envelope the Scale value from 0 to 1 (with Stepped behavior) on frames 0 and 1. Plug the results into the Displacement node.

That way the MDD is multiplied by 0 at frame 0, and 1 at frame 1-onwards. Anything times 0 equals 0, while anything times 1 equals itself.

Greenlaw
07-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Thank you very much guys! :bowdown:

It sounds like I might not get all the new MDDs with the baked in T-Pose as quickly as I'd like to have them (which is immediately) so this info will help get me started until the data starts coming in.

Ugh...what a stressful days I've been having lately. Thankfully, the friendly help of the LW community is making it more bearable. :thumbsup:

G.

RebelHill
07-07-2012, 04:07 AM
You can just use a plain ol mixer node and just animate the opacity value.

Greenlaw
07-07-2012, 11:20 AM
I had a moment of clarity last night and wound up doing exactly that. Felt kinda dumb that I didn't think of it earlier but happy it worked.

But still thanks! :)