PDA

View Full Version : Fog problem in VPR?

cagey5
07-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Is there a known issue with fog in VPR?
I've attached a couple of images.
The first shows the [F9] render and VPR render with no fog and they appear pretty much identical.

The next image shows the same scene with a fog layer which is much denser in VPR. In some instances the VPR scene can be virtually blown out making me think it may be connected to Colour Space interpretation.

Is anybody able to confirm?

DrStrik9
07-06-2012, 11:57 AM
That's nice. Is the "ground fog" HV's?

And yes, VPR isn't perfect, but far better than not having it. :D

cagey5
07-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Thanks. Yes, the ground fog is HV's. I was trying to get the early morning mist in the valley look and spent ages adjusting the fog type and falloff in VPR only to do a final render and get something totally different.

Oh well, back to F9 for trial and error for a while.

btw. Those green pebble looking things are just placeholders for better looking trees for now.

cagey5
07-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Well the difference is still apparant in 11.0.2 but at least my trees have got better, though they still need more variety ..

torturebori007
07-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Cagey. That is some good stuff there. Very nice

cagey5
07-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Thanks for saying so, glad you like it. It's the type of scene I could mess with forever and a day trying to get just right, but generally I'm happy that I got the overall feel I was after.

BeeVee
07-12-2012, 03:13 AM
Beautiful work cagey! I feel a shiver coming on as I get up at stupid o'clock to see exactly that...

B

alexs3d
07-12-2012, 04:52 AM
the fog is really nice, how did you do it exactly, with a pointcloud, maybe you can show a wireframe

thanks ;) alexs

jwiede
07-12-2012, 08:01 AM
Actually, if you want someone to confirm the VPR problem, then uploading the scene (or a simple equivalent showing the issue) would help with that. Also, please fog a bug on the visual discrepancy, otherwise it is unlikely to be fixed.

It _is_ a really nice scene, BTW, that ground fog effect is particularly well-done.

cagey5
07-12-2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks Ben. Yup, been up at those silly times far too often to mention but one of the benefits is seeing those early morning scenes with the fog hugging the ground as a the sun comes up. Almost makes getting out of bed early worth it.. almost.

alex3d. I had two identical planes 1 Km square 5 x 5. One I displaced to give the terrain. The other I kept flat and applied hypervoxels to. Made them huge (about 120 m diameter) and about 300% size variation, so there was some overlapping.[EDIT] I also reduced the size to 20% on the Y axis, so they were like large flattened discs I then moved them up and down and adjusted the pitch so they showed where I wanted them in the landscape.

Lastly I added a standard linear fog of the same colour so it all blended together.

[EDIT] It's late here now and I have a busy weekend planned but if I can find time and if they would be of use I can probably post the scene files next week.

jwiede I tried setting up a really simple scene in an attempt to show any problem at its most simple (rectangles placed 100 meters apart), but that rendered the same with both VPR and [F9] so it may be intrinsic to my scene and as I have a weird node setup fading out my ground image maps according to distance from camera and height on Y axis I'll do some further investigation on that first and see if I can get a better handle on it. Thanks for the good words.

JamesCurtis
07-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Would really appreciate that!