PDA

View Full Version : can't seem to import 3ds files

johnsquare
10-27-2003, 07:21 AM
I'm new to lightwave by the way... :) I just can't seem to import properly 3ds and dxf files form ACAD 2002 to lightwave. it seems to crash. my friend told me i need to separately export layers into 3ds. I tried.... it still doesn't work. When importing dxf files, LW says it cannot recognize the format.. what did i miss?.. thanks guys...

Mylenium
10-27-2003, 08:12 AM
Ahem, the best you could do is trash your ACAD ;o). Newer ACAD versions tend to produce 3ds that can only be read by MAX. It has something to do with some extra Meta-data embedded into these files. You can change this behaviour somewhere in the settings. It also helps to get rid of blocks and convert xrefs into real geometry. As for DXF files - those may only contain LAYER, 3DFACE and POLYLINE entities, everything else will be discarded (which is quite natural for a polygonal program like LW). Up to version 10/ 11 there should be no problems, v.12 will also work in most cases.

Mylenium

johnsquare
10-29-2003, 03:01 PM
Thanks a lot mylenium :) by the way... what kind of software were you mentioning about that version 10/11 or 12? is it ACAD or lightwave :D ??

Mylenium
10-29-2003, 11:34 PM
Of cours I meant this terrible prog beginning with A and ending with D. There are several versions of DXF (as well as DWG) that have emerged over the years to acommodate some additional features.

Mylenium