PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed to set up LW11 layout for animation

battery555
07-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Hi, I'm in the midst of doing an animation. The movie involves a car on a desert highway. And whenever the car passes the desert turn into grassland and tree started growing. The car is near completion but I have many questions as what would be the best set up for the scene in LW layout and other stuffs. The real challenge for me right now is to make the scene as photo-realistic as possible and the grass & tree growing part. Given the softwares that I owned. (LW11, Modo601, Zbrush, AE CS6, Trapecode suite) I do see the instancing in LW 11 will come in very handy and I hope someone can enlighten me how to maximize the full potential these tools and describe briefly and how to execute it on my scene. I don't have the luxury to do network rendering. So the scene need to be efficiently managed by my quad-core 2 x 2.4 MAC. Desperately need your insights and thanks! :help:

JonW
07-03-2012, 10:15 PM
You will probably need about a third of your time building the objects, a third doing lighting & camera set up, & a third of your time rendering & doing test renders.

Build your scene with some proxy objects, just simple grey boxes will do, set up & finalise your camera path so you don't waste time building things that will not be seen. Or are minor things in the background that do not need high levels of detail. It's all too easy to fiddle around on a detail that will not really be obvious in the movie. Good lighting & camera movement will have more impact.

Adding just one more computer will probably halve your render time. So steal one! (or beg or borrow) Test render this simple scene/frame, it will give you an idea how many computers you will need for your deadline or how much quality you will have to sacrifice. http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=105742

Allow enough time for a test render (or three!) to fix stuff ups (you will have them, there is no escape!), it's a good idea to render the entire movie at 1/4 size once you think you are ready, & also render some frames at finial quality full size throughout the movie to check for problems. Thinking you will save a day test rendering will cost a week..... TEST RENDER!!!

You can also set up an instance with a proxy & swap it at a later date. I would get onto the scene now so you can iron out problems & get a feel for your movie as a whole. Put the car away for a few days so you are not distracted & wasting precious time.

I probably should have mentioned this first, make a plan & write up a list of things to do & allocated time on a piece of paper & stick it up on a wall!

battery555
07-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the good advice JonW! Ha ha… you probably knew that I will spend much time on tweaking the objects. I believe lighting & camera movement prior over detailed objects which I constantly have to remind myself not getting too absorbed with the detailing at the initial stage. I like the idea of using proxy to get a feel of the movie. Though I never try this before. Looks like I need to go back to the drawing board to plan out everything. Will post more specific questions if I hit the wall he he! Once again Thanks and appreciated your valuable insight. :thumbsup: