PDA

View Full Version : Let's Get Ready for some Football!!!

PIZAZZ
07-03-2012, 07:28 PM
I have been working with a solution that is bound to make things easier for the TriCaster based broadcaster wanting more advanced graphics.

Frustrated with having to buy a Daktronics AllSport CG but end up at a school with a Fairplay board instead? or vice versa?

This new solution is system agnostic. You can use the box with practically any scoreboard out there (excluding the manually drawn kind). We have used it for quite a few games in our production division. Other great thing is you can easily transition from basketball to baseball to tennis to football. All with one box.

So you get the box, the ScoreBot, you plug it into one of the scoreboard controller outputs with the appropriate cable. We made one cable for Daktronics and one for Fairplay. Both cables are TRS 1/4" to RS232 DB9pin but the pin out is different for Daktronics or Fairplay.

After plugging into the scoreboard controller, you plug the ScoreBot into an available internet connection. The box will pull a ip address from a DHCP server on the lan and begin transmitting to the Scorebot Server.

Next you fire up their product LiveXML which then talks to the ScoreBot Server and translates the ScoreBot information into XML that LiveText can read.

This is what LiveXML looks like:
ScoreBotScreenGrab.PNG (http://www.pizazz.com/pizazzfiles/ScoreBotScreenGrab.PNG)

Now in LiveText you will find quite a few new options for you to pull information from. Select the Text tool then Right click on the interface and add in any of the available variables such as:

LiveTextScoreBotKeys.jpg (http://www.pizazz.com/pizazzfiles/LiveTextScoreBotKeys.jpg)

When you have the Keys you want to use and their values are auto updating you will breath a huge sigh of relief and definitely crack a smile. No more manually inputing the score or down information. You now will have a automatically updating CLOCK. No more manually stop and start and best thing is no more PIP windows depending on a camera to stay in just the right position.

There is a cool remap feature that is perfect for those occasions you need to automate timeouts or runners on base too. You can take any value and assign it another value.
We used this in Baseball. Scenario is Runner is on 1st. The key received from the ScoreBot of <OnFirst> is 1. A value of nothing from the scoreboard controller you see nothing onscreen. When a value of 1 is received from the scoreboard, the remap pulls a Diamond from the WingDings font group. Now I have a diamond on my graphic representing the base the runner is on. If the runner steals to 2nd base, the scoreboard updates that and my graphic updates to show a runner on 2nd base because <OnFirst> is now nothing and <OnSecond> is 1.
Once you get your head around this, you can make some amazing things happen.

So next question I am sure you will come up with is... What if there is no internet? or the internet is blocked by the IT Nazi's? Simple solution, plug the ScoreBot into the Scoreboard Controller of course and then into a Cradlepoint router with a 3G card in it. $50 for a Cradlepoint and the internet problem is solved completely wirelessly without having to fight IT.
Yes this really works. The latency was so minimal the only way I could measure it was with a camera. We have never so easily been able to keep up with a scoreboard manually.

Contact me if you need more information.

kanep
07-03-2012, 10:16 PM
Sounds like a great product. I see that Video4Ever makes it.

Any idea what the latency is between the scoreboard clock and what LiveText will see?

PIZAZZ
07-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Sounds like a great product. I see that Video4Ever makes it.

Any idea what the latency is between the scoreboard clock and what LiveText will see?

It is indeed.

Latency is dependant of course on the Internet but I can say that it was so minimal we could not see a large delay with our naked eye. Definitely under a second or two. Next chance I get I will try to do a measurement to see exactly what the delay is to the pixel.

mtash
07-04-2012, 12:22 AM
Is the box/connectors free and the service costs are per year?

PIZAZZ
07-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Is the box/connectors free and the service costs are per year?

There is a minimal charge for the ScoreBot box and then a yearly maintenance fee. I will confirm with Mike at Video4Ever and report back the current pricing plan. We bought in early and have been helping them work out the kinks with LiveText integration. The cost of the box was way below the cost of the Daktronics AllSportCG at nearly $1000. The best part is there box can work on several platforms not just Dak's selected few controllers.

I will bring back more details manana.

BehindTheMic1
07-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Contact me if you need more information.

Jeff, I asked a few questions on another board about scoreboards. I would love to be able to do this and save money on DaktronicsCG box since we only have one Daktronics scoreboard. Seems like this is the way. I didnt realize you could use Scorebot and not have to use their premade graphic at top. Please let me know how to contact you. Thanks

Lee-AVP
07-16-2012, 01:50 PM
I wonder if they'd do an Rmonitor protocol interface....