PDA

View Full Version : JD Lowe Summer 2012 Demo Reels

ShadowMystic
07-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Links in signature. Critique requested.

Ryan Roye
07-03-2012, 03:25 PM
It is a start, but I think one thing you will need to work on is providing models with detail surface properties on them... at least from what I understand, many modelers that get hired also do the detail tasks that include surfacing and texturing. Consider yourself very lucky if all you do is modeling at the average 3d media job. Texturing/surfacing to modeling is like what rigging is to animation... they go together.

The poly flow is shaky in some areas of your models (especially the guitar), but otherwise they look quite usable.

When you do get more complete and surfaced models in place, you'll need to fade through the levels of detail in your video so the reviewer can see how the layers of detail work to make the completed object. While I certainly have no room to talk, clean polys are really needed for predictable lighting behavior, easy UV mapping and among other things.

Most of what I'm saying is just from what i've read, seen and heard from others who have posted similar types of threads. Good that you put your best work first... that's rule #1.

EDIT: Minor note: nudge that gun model to the right a little bit... it veers too much off the camera and its bugging me that its off center, heh.

ShadowMystic
07-03-2012, 04:23 PM
You raise some very good points. Its not perfect, but I felt I needed to get something up to have any chance at a real job.

I wonder if I should go back and fix the guitar or continfue on modeling new stuff with betterpoly flow. The guitar was one of my first serious models way back in highschool, but I had no concept of flow and n-gon-free meshes.

I guess I should get back to my Delura assignments.

Ryan Roye
07-03-2012, 09:32 PM
I wonder if I should go back and fix the guitar or continfue on modeling new stuff with betterpoly flow.

Depends on what motivates you more. Concerning the guitar, the upside is that you can just plug it into layer 2 and trace it (with more emphasis on poly flow)... while not the most efficient way of producing a solid model, it works... my "next gen" models for Delura are the result of tracing my old models.

ShadowMystic
07-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Depends on what motivates you more. Concerning the guitar, the upside is that you can just plug it into layer 2 and trace it (with more emphasis on poly flow)... while not the most efficient way of producing a solid model, it works... my "next gen" models for Delura are the result of tracing my old models.

The process you just described is very common for taking an animatic model to a production model. However, this may go the way of the dodo with the popularity of ZBrush sculpture being used for concept 'maquettes'.

evolross
07-13-2012, 12:46 PM
To be honest, your After Effects reel is pretty basic and could use a lot of work. Spend some time on a couple of ideas, shots, or mini-projects. The stuff with your company logo looks like it took all of three minutes. If you want to get hired in a production job, you'll need to show you have production proficiency... and expertise. Not that you know how to do the most very basic things. It's a good start, but put more time into it. A lot more time.